An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcoholic in adolescence.

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by akiram13, Feb 10, 2016.

1. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I was introduced to drinking at a very young age of 14 years old. Before I knew I was drinking daily to the point of no return. With no parent supervision and rebellion on my side I continued on. Until the day where I was 16 years old and pregnant did I come to the realization this was not the life I wanted and not the one I wanted my daughter to see.

By her becoming my inspiration I was able to quit and took the big step that I needed in life. I have a forum in the recovering tips on how I got through it all.

I am blessed and I am stronger than these problems. With GOD's help and my family as my inspiration anything is possible and achievable.
    Mara, gracer and kassie1234 like this.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

What a great thing to be blessed by God with a daughter and even greater because your love for her changed you and strengthened your faith. Hopefully, mothers would follow your example and quit abusing substances for the sake of their children.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Children often do amazing things for us, I think - in terms of making us want to be our very best selves. I have a daughter too, and every day I want to be the best I can so that she has a mom she is proud of, and that she learns only good habits from me!

So glad that you were inspired by your daughter too and that you overcame it!
  4. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

So as far as I can understand, the fact you had had a daughter at the age of 16 made you realize that alcohol wasn't the thing you wanted to go by in your life. Great! It was a moment of weakness that you had gone through in your teen years, but don't worry... now it's all going to be good from now on, I'm sure of it. Stay strong, and don't relapse!
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It's good to hear that you have now finally quit your alcohol addiction. Kudos to you for a job well done! That's true, having an inspiration in this life would somehow help us realize a few things, and make us better people. All the best to you and your family! :)
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

That's great to hear. I'm sure using your experience to help people over come their addictions will be a great inspiration.
    This is really messed up that you were a alcoholic at a young age, but better to know it didn't effect your whole life. Good luck with your blog keep up the good work. We need more like you.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Good job for pulling through, I'm sure giving birth at such a young age must've been an eye-opening experience for you. It's nice to hear you're doing fine, keep moving forward and don't forget to keep us posted from time to time with your progress!
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Having a child is one of the greatest gifts a person could ever receive. The love and inspiration that you have found with your child and the faith you have in God are strong factors that helped you change and become a better person. I'm happy that you were able to move on from the mistakes you've done in the past and you're now living a brand new life with your most precious one. :)
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I also started at 14! But that was along time ago, funny somethings never change
    Wanted to hang with the cool kids, so drinking crappy beer and smoking cigarettes was what was done in that group.
    I also found salvation from The Lord.
    God Bless!
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

You are an amazing young lady and have so much to offer this group. I am glad you turned your life around for your daughter. You are an excellent role model for her.
  11. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

What an awesome blessing you received and the fact it was enough to get you back on track with your life. I too being young remember being around family that always thought it was funny to see us take a drink of beer. Granted, my parents did not drink or even have alcohol in the house regularly, but I remember how 25 years ago, it seemed to not be a big deal. Now, having children of my own, I try to keep them from being exposed too early to any of that. I do not want my children however, be out with their friends to have their first drink. I would rather if they were curious, to be in the presence of myself in our home to take a drink of alcohol. With the industry making so many flavors today that taste good like soda pop, it will be hard to get my children to get that first taste and be disgusted!
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

You are lucky that you came to understand how your life was being affected by alcohol. Many young people start taking alcohol after being influenced by their friends. If there is nobody who can talk to them then they end up being addicts. We need to avoid those friends who offer to buy alcohol for us. We also have to talk to our family members about our addiction and I am sure that they can help us.
  13. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Аlсоhоl usе соntinuеs tо bе а mаjоr prоblеm frоm prеаdоlеsсеnсе thrоugh yоung аdulthооd in thе Unitеd Stаtеs. Rеsults оf rесеnt nеurоsсiеnсе rеsеаrсh hаvе substаntiаtеd thе dеlеtеriоus еffесts оf аlсоhоl оn аdоlеsсеnt brаin dеvеlоpmеnt аnd аddеd еvеn mоrе еvidеnсе tо suppоrt thе саll tо prеvеnt аnd rеduсе undеrаgеd drinking. Pеdiаtriсiаns shоuld bе knоwlеdgеаblе аbоut substаnсе аbusе tо bе аblе tо rесоgnizе risk fасtоrs fоr аlсоhоl аnd оthеr substаnсе аbusе аmоng yоuth, sсrееn fоr usе, prоvidе аpprоpriаtе briеf intеrvеntiоns, аnd rеfеr tо trеаtmеnt.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm glad you did the right thing for your daughter, not many moms do that, but you did :) So kudos to you for that! For me it would have been much harder to stop drinking if it wasn't because could no longer tolerate alcohol that well after my gallbladder surgery.
  15. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

That's so awesome! Proud of you. I was also 14 when I started drinking. Except I only quit for a year once. I had one the other day and last month I had a few drinks. I don't know if I will ever stop completely but I no longer drink to get drunk. Well I hope I can keep that up anyway. But I try not to drink at all. But You're a great mom I'm sure. Keep it up.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that you were able to get rid of it in your life and be the best mom for your daughter. :)
    Sad there are really some teens who get involved into this drinking habit and eventually become an addiction because of lack of supervision and as their act of rebellion.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well at least it's been a happy ending for you and you know better not to let alcohol ruin your daughter's future. Keep up the good work, and don't relapse ever again!
  18. Moll

Moll Member

Amazing story! You must be one of the strongest women that I know. It's so easy to fall into the wrong crowds when you're a teen, and I know how hard it is to get out, especially when your family doesn't support you. I'm so glad that you did the right thing for yourself and for your daughter!
  19. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I had tasted alcoholic drinks when I was adolescent. However, I began drinking during my late teen years. At one time,it looked like I was almost addicted with alcohol. However, later I began limiting drinks and drinking frequency. These days I am just a social drinker.
  20. Mara

Mara Community Champion

A child is a gift. And in your case, this rings so true. Your child not only served as your inspiration, but she also made you realize that alcohol should never be part of your lives. You made the right decision.