An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcoholic Mom Wants To Take Me For A Drink For My 21st...

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by hellonamesdana, Mar 28, 2015.

1. light

light Active Contributor

How lucky is your mom to have a daughter like you. Always try to avoid her contact with alcohol even though she may show her resistance. Take care of your parents as much as you can and decide the lifestyle you want to live since you are an adult now and can make decisions that can affect your entire life. I wish you success and happiness with your dad and mom, also crazy adventures without addiction towards it.
  2. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

A little late to the party here, but it sounds like your mom was maybe trying to use this event as an excuse to drink. Hey, it's a party, I have to drink or it's not fun! And maybe she was trying to get you to go along with her and get drunk so it'd be okay. It would make her behavior seem more normal. But that's just my two cents.
  3. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

If it was me, I would suggest that she take me out for lunch, but tell her that you would like to stick to soft drinks only. If she asks why, then tell her. Say that you don't think it is a good idea for her to drink alcohol, and as a result of this you feel as though she should stay away from it if she possibly can. That way, she knows that you care about her. Tell her that you wouldn't be able to enjoy your birthday if she was drinking with you, so the only way that you can have a good time is if you both stay away from it completely.
  4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I definitely would politely decline. I'm sure she will understand. Even though you are younger, you still can be a role model for your mother. Lead by example and be someone she can be proud of. You could really influence her behavior in positive ways.
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

If your mom can handle drinking a beer, there is nothing to worry about. In some breweries, however, there are the option for non-alcoholic beers, as in example root beer.

Perhaps having your mom drinking non-alcoholic beers can do the trick to be celebrating together without risk for her.
  6. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

In my opinion I think that you should just tell your mom to just go out to dinner and then catch a movie or something else. Maybe you could have one drink while dinning just to celebrate. If anything, your mother will not get mad or anything probably because it is your birthday. If your mom keeps insisting to go, you should just tell her that maybe you guys can go another time and that you just want to go out to dinner for now.