An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcoholic Now Dead

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by nafretiti, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Thanks for your story, I'm sure it will help a lot of us here who are going through similar events and worries. It is a terrible thing to go through for anyone, much more if you are too young to understand it. I hope for you to get past it completely even if I know that is not entirely possible, but I wish for you to feel something close to it.
  2. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That is one of the great advantages of our community, we can share out story and get inspiration in other people stories so that we can avoid the addiction.
  3. wlrahilly

wlrahilly Member

Sorry about your story. That is sad. I had an alcoholic father too. He wasn't abusive, but he was abusive to himself. He never cared for himself, barely ate, drank all day and smoked like a chimney. He just recently passed away from lung cancer. They said he could have been saved, had he not weighed only 100 lbs and could have gone through surgery.
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

That is really sad, especially that he was also abusive. It is very unfortunate that you did not get to have a good relationship with your father, and your mother had to live through such a horrible experience. I hope you and the rest of your family are still close and getting to enjoy life now.

It is a good reminder that alcoholism does destroy ones body. I wish people who were in the earlier stages would think about that before they end up so far into the addiction that it is so much harder to get out.
  5. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

So sorry to hear your story. That's a horrible way to grow up and I hope you can get past it as realize your life is your own to live. I hope your mother's doing well. Be strong and move forward!
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Alcoholism may not run in the family but it may have serious repercussions when a member of the family especially a senior member gets involved. As the kids usually look upon their parents for guidance and direction, an alcoholic dad/mum may leave the children disoriented and gradually, the kids may be forced to bear the brunt of the negative effects of alcoholism due to neglect and proper guidance.
  7. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Facts of life indeed. It must have been hard on you and your mother. I mean, you were the ones who had to witness the effects of drinking on him, anyway. Too bad he wasn't able to turn his life around in time. How are you and your mom coping now?
  8. Vatrecia

Vatrecia Member

I'm sorry to hear what happened to your mother, I can relate to your story because the same thing happened to my mother but only with drugs instead of alcohol. I believe things that we go through happen for a reason only because of our own mistakes and what we allow to happen. The whole situation could have been avoided with your stepfather but because he missed the loss of his brother he turned into an alcoholic at a very young age.
    And that does honestly take a toll on peoples lives.
  9. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

I feel for all of your family. I can understand the depression caused by a death of a sibling, as my sister passed away as well. Although I did not drink to alleviate the pain, I know I will never be the same. The only good thing I can say is that at least he only killed himself, and your step father did not kill your mother or you children.

It is a really sad story, but please learn from it and share the information with your own children and friends to prevent all of the abuse, not just the addiction. Today there are more liquor stores in my town than churches, which is really sad.
  10. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I am sorry you guys had to go through all that, just because of alcohol abuse, it does tear a family apart, but it also makes those going through the abuse to avoid alcohol, it is very sd that some alcohol abusers can only stop when death has knocked on their door.
  11. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

This is a sad story and I am sorry for your loss.
  12. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

I'm tempted to go into an off-topic rant about this---how it probably wasn't exactly 'the alcohol' that killed him (sort of in a "Guns don't kill people; people kill people"-way).

"... it was from drinking too much and not eating correctly." I recently had cancer in my mouth. I can see now what I did wrong; I 'got too excited' while eating something like potato-chips, bit the inside of my lip, and thought to 'medicate it' with some-sauce-or-other I had in my `fridge. What happened then---my lip healed (as it was going to anyway), but it healed with some of 'the sauce' trapped inside. In the incubator of my mouth, 'the sauce' metastasized into cancer.

And yes, maybe your father fed his cancer with alcohol (as I probably fed my cancer a little). So it would be more-precise to say 'His alcoholism empowered his killer (I almost called it "alcoLOLism" :p).'
  13. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about the death of your father. It might be a sad story to read, but it's true and it happens. I hope that this message and story will reach those who still won't admit their alcohol problems. I don't want to see more and more people dying because of it. Life is valuable so we should definitely cherish it.
  14. TXgirlNCworld

TXgirlNCworld Member

I am so sorry you had to go through this as well, you too have suffered a great deal from this. The deterioration process caused by alcohol is very emotional and heart breaking not just for the one going through it, but also for the friends and family around. I say it is almost like a roller coaster, they have their high points and they have their low points when it comes to this addiction. My father has been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember too and his cause was his mother took her life in front of him. There is usually something that triggers an addiction to start. I am so sorry your family has had to deal with the pain and suffering from alchohol and I hope you continue to share your story for awareness and truth for thousands.
  15. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Sad to hear. RIP and my blessings to your family.
  16. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

Alcohol abuse is a tough situation to deal with. So many of my family members are gone now all because of that bottle. Alcohol is one drug that is socially expectable but is a dangerous habit. I would only drink socially and after a few year of that I quick, I just didn't want to go down the same path like me uncles and other family members. The sooner you get out the easier it is to stay out.
  17. terrainna

terrainna Member

My grandfather died of alcoholism. He had an ulser in his stomach and multiple organ failure. My mother told me he had been drinking for 40 years. She was never really close to him for that reason. The only memory I have of him, is him accusing me for doing drugs and hanging out with boys on my 15th birthday. He was in a drunken rage that day. I'm so thankful that my childhood didn't change the good character in me. I'm glad it didn't for you as well!
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I grew up with both of my parents being inebriated on a daily basis. They physically and mentally tortured me until I felt old enough to run away from home when I was 16. By that time they had already caused my body so much damage that it would take me nearly 25 years to fully recover from all the compounded injuries to my spine.
    So, yes, watching the people that you are supposed to look up to, fall around the floor, vomiting and pissing themselves (excuse me) is definitely not a great childhood.
  19. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

The problem with drug abuse is that it affects the whole family. Your mom shows a lot of strength to be able to remain in the home where she got physically hurt regularly. The problem with an addiction is learning to say when. I hope that your stepfather finds the peace he lacked on this earth in the worlds beyond. It is unfortunate that you had to go through that experience.
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Unfortunately, I know how having abusive parents feels. But I got over it at some point, and accepted the fact that life has something good to offer to us all. So I moved on. May I ask you how are you right now?