An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcoholism and Depression

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Vinaya, Mar 5, 2016.

1. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

Alcohol could be the cause or one of them... I think it plays a role in his depression one way or another, though. Just as the psychiatrist predicted. Either way I wish you the best for your uncle.
  2. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I personally think that when Alcoholism gets mixed with depression everything turns darker, that is why you gotta get surrounded of people who love you and that you know that they will be helping you all the way out the tunnel.
  3. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

This combination is very dangerous and I felt it on my skin. I already said here that I drank heavily and I mixed alcohol with pills. It was the only way to fall asleep, to fight depression and anxiety ... At least I thought so. I was wrong because depression was even worse and I had to get a grip of myself. Hopefully I am quite a strong willed person and I am clean now.
  4. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

That's one of those things that doesn't really have a correct answer. Both scenarios may be correct. It differs with each individual. More importantly, both should be treated as the root cause.
  5. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It is totally possible that both are contributing to each other at the same time. They are both commensurate to each other. I agree that the best thing to do is to just treat it as a whole.
  6. Acooper79

Acooper79 Member

I'm in the camp that believes almost all addictions are secondary issues due to underlying brain chemistry, emotional trauma, or any psychological issue. I think it's self medication, when used it makes you feel good and it triggers the reward mechanism. Someone who feels great won't be as susceptible. But hey how many of us feel great these days. It's like everyone who has any responsibilities is stressed out. Gone are the days where women could devote their time to taking care of the house and men could devote their time to manual labor that keeps them in shape and that reduces stress. Now we sit in little cubicles and fry our brains to the point our bodies are exhausted at the end of the day. And any manual labor non mentally taxing job usually doesn't support a family well. Don't mistake this for a sexist post. The roles could easily be reversed. When I was in high school there was beer drinking and once in a blue moon a little Marijuana now kids are popping Xanax to get through a test without pulling their hair out.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. gloriavitori

gloriavitori Member

alchole is harmfull for body .u can drink for only enjoy but dont additcted for this. Alcohol overdose causes even more severe depressant effects vomits the poison, and finally unconsciousness or, worse, coma or death from severe toxic. These reactions depend on how much is consumed and how quickly.
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Member

Alcoholism is a symptom (indicator) of the problem, which is emotional / mental issues that are in the spectrum of depression. Abstinence treats / cures the symptom, but abstinence isn't sobriety or the path to sobriety, unless the problem is addressed and treated.

I look at like this. The symptoms of a cold / flu, which are congestion, sneezing, coughing, etc. is the body's way of recovering from the problem that created these symptoms. In this context, the problem (depression, mental / emotional issues) created the symptom (alcoholism). As I said, abstinence treats / cures the symptom (alcoholism), but without treating the problem, the problem remains.

If I don't realize that I'm the problem, which for me a numerous others I've known began in childhood, then there is no solution.
  9. JulieGarcia

JulieGarcia Member

Hey guys.. Wish you a happy new year.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Happy new year to you, too, @JulieGarcia! May this trip around the sun be a great one for you!
  11. renee.stokes

renee.stokes Member

They should be treated together. In order to unravel the problems he should seek professional help for co-occuring disorders. Alcoholism is a disease and it has to be treated as one.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017