An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcoholism and Intelligence

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by ajzappola, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

I have been sober for ten years now. I know what the literature says about most alcoholic types and their general abilities. I believed it at first just because I wanted to consider myself to be of a higher intelligence than most, but this has not really proven to be fully accurate. I tend to lean towards average or slightly above in most areas. But I live on the west coast and I know many people in the entertainment industry. Hollywood is wrought with sober drunks. The minds at work out there are among the most creative and intelligent in the world. I pay attention to the sciences surrounding alcoholism research as well. Recently a study was published by an Ivy League school (I am not citing here so please forgive) that noted a long term study that showed a strong correlation between alcoholics and IQ.

So who has an opinion on the validity of this idea? Has anyone notices a similar or dissimilar pattern forming? I would love to hear more people talking about this. I think it a good argument for getting sober and putting our minds to work for some kind of greater good. Maybe alcoholics and addicts can save the world after all.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think that sometimes it is not a matter of how intelligent you are, academic wise at least. That is because really smart people can get addicted to something just like anyone else with varying intelligences. You can do all the research, know all the facts and still be addicted to alcohol.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It doesn't matter how smart someone is they can become addicted. I knew someone who was a crack addict that went to accounting school and was a straight A student in high school. Some people find out how to get away with being a addict for years and function. The smartest people don't end up in the gutter somewhere, but find ways to survive thru there problem. In the end being a alcoholic or drug addict has the same damaging effect on everyone.
  4. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I do not think that there is a correlation between alcohol and intelligence. If someone is smart, he or she can still become addicted. Controlling alcohol intake is all about self-control. If someone who has no self-control but is intelligent, an addiction to alcohol is still completely possible. Now the intelligent person differs in that he or she can find more effective ways to help cure an addiction rather than someone who is not able to utilize resources.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People can become addicted to any substance for a number of reasons, how intelligent they are isn't a factor in my opinion.

With the amount of drug awareness around at the moment, through the press, media coverage, and even in and around your local hospitals and towns, all people from different walks of life are taking substances.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, some of the most creative people in this world are musicians, and they are known to lead a life of sex, drugs and rock and roll. Take John Lennon for instance. He was regarded as a genius, and we all know he did more drugs than most addicts do in two lifetimes. Famous writters. Many of the most famous writters were alcoholics.l
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I suppose that certain means lead to certain ends. People exhibiting a quality of the same nature may be more likely to have similar outcomes. it has nothing to do with alcohol, but is a matter of likelihoods.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Some people tend to have some sort of control which is surprising and drugs and alcohol can be something which rock stars, and singers take as this may help them out or even writers as it relaxes them when thinking of ideas of a book. I reckon some people can drink and do their work or take drugs which is amazing and could be how their brain is, or the body may be able to handle it and can be hard to understand these people who can do this. It can seem to these people that others will not suffer from their actions, but this tends to be not true in most cases, as the family have to deal with the person's moods and don't know how the person will feel.
  9. harold

harold Community Champion

I believe that it is not alcohol that makes a person intelligent. The simple truth here is the fact that intelligent people can easily get addicted. This is my theory; Intelligent people are hardworking people. They are mostly people who spend much time researching or studying. Naturally,when a person's mind is saturated from studying or reading, the person will like to relax it. Many people believe that bars and night clubs are the best places to relax one's mind. Since they study consistently, they equally find themselves regularly trying to relax their minds, and end up as addicts. It is very easy for studies to show such trends where intelligent persons are addicts. If intelligentbb people could find better ways to relax their minds, the research will not find the same results.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think the reason many creative people use drugs isn't because they are more intelligent than others. And there's always that fierce competition. Many have to cope with the possibility of being pushed out of the limelight any time and rather than face reality they use drugs.

And many writers believe the myth that they write better when they are drunk . . .
  11. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

That is a good poit, though you are mistaken on one thing - alcohol is not addictive. most people can use it in any quantity and never see a habit form. most people are misinformed about alcoholism, but being sober for 10 years has given me time to understand my disease. Most people are not affected enough by the disease to take the time to find out what is true and what is false. Perhaps I should have posted the actual study for you to read. My apologies.
  12. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

I have seen lots of intelligent people who are addicted to drugs or alcohol. I have also met people who are as clean as a normal person can be and yet are not addicted to any substance. I don't think addiction has anything to do with intelligence. Although I know that prolonged drug use can cause some mental problems.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that intelligent or not intelligent people both can get into addiction. It could be a matter of self control and not just knowing if alcohol is good or bad since even those who know that being addicted on it can be bad, they still get addicted.
  14. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

A lot of people believe that higher IQ in people leads them to drink more because they are trying to suppress their intelligence and be more like others to fit in.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm not sure if I quite got this one? So... according to this study people with a higher IQ tend to drink more or is the opposite? Whatever it is... well, I don't really know what to think. Some of the dumbest people I know are alcoholics, but I also know a few smart ones. I also know some really slow people who don't drink at all. I think there is a bit of everything out there...
  16. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

To me it sounds like a lie. I mean why should an achoolic drinker be more intelligent than a sober one? There's really no correlation with this to me. Also intelligent is something really subjective in a certain way.
  17. juno

juno Community Champion

I have not read any research on whether those with higher IQ tend to turn to alcoholism. I think it my be the case that those with higher IQ are facing the pressures of success in high performing jobs or advanced studies, and such pressures may lead to use of alcohol to cope, thus the correlation.

As far as alcohol goes, we all know that it makes our senses and abilities weaker when we are drunk. Alcohol also leads to children with birth defects, when mothers drink while pregnant. So, highly doubt it could help one be more intelligent.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well I don't think it makes any sense. If they had a high IQ they would never be an alcoholic in the first place. I think a trait of higher intelligence is being genuine. I'm not so sure the west coast is known for being genuine.
    Every person alive is capable of extremely high intelligence, in fact alcohol lowers IQ. If the IQ was so high in alcoholics then they should still be smart enough not to fall into the trap. I would say it makes more sense that if you were "smart enough" not to, that would denote a higher IQ.
    Zappola seems more like a man talking nonsense after having a few. Lol
    Reminds me of this conversation about being ignorant and stupid. Ignorance can be changed stupidity is permanent. You can learn if you are ignorant. I said, Think of so and so, he's stupid right? Yes the person said. Is that ever going to change? No they said.
    Intelligence is a choice to use for good. There are ways of increasing IQ. It will stay the same if you let it.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have heard that addicts in general tend to be more intelligent than the general population. Maybe boredom, anxiety and depression all factor in. OF course anyone can experience these things. It does seem that those who more intelligent than the average would realize what a dead end street using substances to excess is, but once in their grip, it is hard to withdraw.
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Addiction does not discriminate at all. It makes no odds how intelligent you are, the physiology of addiction does not work like that. Whilst we may have differing intelligence levels, the processes which occur within our brains and bodies are exactly the same.