An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcoholism due to extreme prohibition?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Kyler, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

Hello guys,

This is a topic that is very interesting and important. Sometimes I've wondered how a lot of religious people grow up and become alcoholics. Is that to do with their family as being young completely prohibiting them and telling them it's wrong to have a small drink but not too much?

I mean, I've grown up in a family where it is not prohibited, and because it is not, we don't seem to struggle with it because we've grown up drinking a glass of beer only and we were pretty much used to it, never been drunk in my life. What do you guys think?
  2. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

I don't really want to get into the whole religious prohibition debate. But, I do think that in every family, you'll have a few rebels. And what better way to appear to be a rebel in a family where such things are prohibited than with a bottle in your hand while you're drunk. Its just simple psychology. I don't agree with this kind of a thing, but its still human nature.
  3. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, first of all, the Bible makes it quite clear that Jesus drank wine. In fact, turning water into wine was his first miracle. So I don't think Jesus would mind if you had a few every once in a while. You can do almost anything in this life without harming yourself or others, as long as you do it in "moderation."
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There could be various reasons why a person become addicted or alcoholic. That could be one reason as some think that they are free or independent when they do what was told them not to do. Or to some, it is their act of rebellion.
  5. djdrug

I also don't like the projecting outwards approach of this thought process. Here is why - when people stop us from doing something, they're not always wrong. I am one of those guys who goes, "I'll prove them wrong" but only for things like business ideas and what not. When it comes to habits, I never rebel. I was actually one of those teenagers who never rebelled because I had elder siblings whom I had observed, so I knew not to repeat their mistakes.

I don't think prohibition helps either. The way to help someone is to make them come up with a solution. A lot of people can be helped, but they will always relapse if the will to change did not come from within themselves.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Religion doesn't prohibit drinking. That's just how some denominations and religions [like Islam] choose to interpret their scriptures. I think as churches are nowadays more concerned with the money they'll make from their church members many don't preach against drinking. Since most people aren't pious the fact that their religion prohibits drinking won't stop them from drinking. They drink because they want to, not because their religion is against it.
  7. KingEeyore

KingEeyore Member

I think it's religion itself that's forcing people into a suppressed ideology and thinking. So, then these people get older and want to rebel because they have always been told it's bad. Then they drink and drink heavily. If it's not alcohol then it's something else
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I've heard of people who grow up in really restrictive homes, and end up doing the things their parents didn't want to do, like premarital sex, drug and alcohol. It happens very often, that is why I don't want to be too opressive with my kids while growing up.
  9. ciaran071198

ciaran071198 Member

I was brought up in a family which said no to many things such as cigarettes, alcohol and marijuana constantly throughout my childhood. I also had a very strict father who suppressed my opinions and tried to change my views on things constantly. I think this overnurture was a mistake and can cause people to want to go against the set rules, as I have tried all three in excess multiple times now and am addicted to cigarettes, where all I heard from my mother through childhood was 'Don't smoke!'.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I went to Italy for my honeymoon.
    We stayed with some of my wife's family.
    It was very common for everyone to have a glass of wine at dinner, even the kids.
    I asked them if they thought it might be a bad idea.
    "well, you North American's are strange with your drink. We have always had wine with dinner, hundreds of years and our society doesn't have the problems with teenage drinking like we see you guys do. Tell a kid they can't have something, guess what they are going to do!"
    So there is something to what you are saying indeed!
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There's no set answer to that. On one hand, you have children who grow up addicted to alcohol because they feel deprived. On the other hand, you have children who don't simply because they understand the reason behind the prohibition. Ask kids born and raised in slums. Some of them grow up alcoholics not because of prohibition but because drinking alcohol and getting drunk are common activities in slum areas.
  12. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I think that if you're "not allowed" to have something, it automatically becomes a lot more exciting, and as a result of this you might be curious about it - however I don't think this is what leads to alcoholism, because there are many people who binge as teenagers as an act of rebellion who don't then go on to become addicted to alcohol. It is all down to personal circumstances in addition to DNA, and nobody knows for sure exactly what causes alcoholism unfortunately.
  13. remnant

remnant Community Champion

It is a truism that the law and inhibitions beget iniquity. When somebody is restricted from an indulgence, there is this psychological proclivity to see the grass the grass as being green on the other side. I have seen children of pastors turn into hopeless addicts. I have also witnessed the children of of barmaids learning from their parents negative experiences and turn out to be teetotallers.
  14. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think this makes you less likely to be a alcoholic. Even if you start drinking a lot at parties, if you didn't grow up like that
    it won't be hard to stay sober. It's just the fact that you're used to coping with things being sober because you had to all your life. I think that if your not used to living without any thing like smoking or drinking most of your life you'll have
    to adjust more to being sober.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that it depends on the person, I'm not really sure, but I have some similar history with my parents. When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to eat candies or junk food in general, now I'm 20 and I just can't stop eating them, they're my favorite kind of food, and I personally think that it has do with the prohibition that I went through when I was a kid.
  16. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I do not really think that could be a valid reason to become an alcohol addict, however it all depends on the person and the way the prohibitions affect him, but I definitely think that it might not be a goodreason for me to become an addict, indeed.
  17. djdrug

Generally, prohibitions are meant to be well-meaning but I haven't seen a scenario where prohibition hasn't backfired in some form. Although I have to agree that it may not always cause alcoholism. I mean if you can't buy alcohol or can only buy small quantities of it for a really high price, how would you ever be able to become an alcoholic?
  18. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I have the same thoughts about it. There are studies showing that prohibitive parenting can lead to more rebellious children. I remember watching a 20/20 special where they tested this out. They tested it out on two kids. One kid was from a non-strict household and the other was from a very strict household. They put each kid in a room with a table full of candy. The kid from the non-strict household barely touched the candy. The kid from the strict household just went on a rampage eating as much candy as he could.
  19. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I know Mormonism is known to be really strict with alcohol. I think they also ban all caffeine, so you can't even drink coffee or tea. As Henry mentions, it's strange since Jesus drank wine and in Catholic masses, the priest drinks wine as part of the service. The religion itself may not prohibit alcohol. but religious households in general are usually pretty strict about that kind of thing.
  20. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Whenever there is repression, the desire is still there and might explode later. We see that we British tourists that drink during the day because in their countries is forbidden.