An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcoholism vs Availability

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Do you think the ease with which someone can obtain alcohol is the reason why so many people end up being addicted to alcohol? The more number of places someone can get alcohol the more alcoholics you'll find in that community?

I'm trying to look at this from a different angle. A recovering alcoholic would probably find it easier to beat their addiction if they moved to a place where they wouldn't easily get their hands on alcohol?

Thoughts?
    Damien Lee and aimeep80 like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I think access/availability plays a role in most of our consumption. Even food. Things that are easy to get--take fast food, for example--are often the go-to choice for people. I think alcohol falls into that category, too. If someone's looking to get a buzz or numb their feelings, alcohol is certainly the easiest thing to turn to.
    aimeep80 likes this.
  3. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I really think that if someone wants alcohol bad enough they will find it. Take prohibition in the United States for example..there were people that made and sold moonshine. So, I feel that if they search hard enough they will find it. But I do see exactly what you mean. If it is not readily available to them it might be harder for them..but I've been in situations with my AH (alcoholic hubs) where he would go to any length to get the alcohol when we were broke.
  4. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

I agree with all of you! If it is easy to obtain, some will use who wouldn't otherwise. But if someone is a hardcore user, they will find it somehow. Otherwise people wouldn't do illegal drugs, although they are sometimes easy to get. An addictive person will find something to be addicted too.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Accessibility indeed plays a big factor. Like most of you probably know, when my brothers and I were growing up, we had easy access to alcohol. And we were allowed to drink at a very young age. Thinking back, perhaps we wouldn't even have tried drinking the stuff if alcoholic drinks aren't lying around everywhere in the house. We don't have to go to liquor stores and present some ID to get them. Why buy them when we can have them for free? We just have to raid our dad's bar at home.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think so. To kick the habit you have to separate yourself from the object you desire the most. That's common sense. If I'm a recovering addict it doesn't help if my room mates still store liquor in the house.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that availability could be the major reason why many would be addicted to it. In here, there were alcoholic beverages in almost all retail stores in every corner. That is why you can also see drinkers almost every corner.
  8. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I agree with you. If an alcoholic does not have the resources to enable him, he would naturally recover and gradually forget about it. But I think the availability is what draws many to it; without reason, purpose or focus.
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Well if you don't have where to buy or money to buy it can be tricky to drink alcohol. Some alcoholics spend everything too soon, at least here in Serbia, and when that happens it is hard to find booze. Also if you live somewhere remote and you are out of alcohol you will need a car or any kind of transport and that doesn't come cheap.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Definitely! Down here in South Africa alcohol has always been easily available. Although there are laws preventing young people from purchasing alcohol, it's not as if the average tavern owner will turn away a buck if a youngster wants his beer. I think advertising also influences people as well, and I so too many alcohol ads around.
  11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think availability does play a role but only to a certain extent. When the US had a prohibition on alcohol that didn't stop people from drinking alcohol. That is when speak easy clubs really became popular. If people cant but alcohol, they'll just learn to make it themselves. Then those who sell it can profit off of those that want it.
  12. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

It plays a major role. I've personally seen alcoholics do something productive with their lives due to not having access to alcohol. Whether it being money problems or being isolated from it. It plays a big role and it is really effective.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

people may begin drinking alcohol because it is easily available. However, for an addict, availability is never an issue. Once when I was in my farm house and an alcoholic uncle visited us. He had plenty of supply, however, he drank so much that his alcohol supplies finished. In the middle of night he walked 4 miles to buy a bottle of whiskey.
  14. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

The widespread availability certainly contributes to it for sure. The acceptance of drinking in various settings is also a contributing factor. Considering the known health effects, it is amazing that we don't really stigmatize alcohol the same way we do other drugs.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

If someone thinks they need to move somewhere to stop their drinking addiction, I'd say those people will fail no matter what. Because in order to actually stop you need to really want it and have the will power to do so, otherwise you ill fail. It must be in you. Because no matter where we go, the addict will always find the way back to his addiction.
  16. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Yes @Tremmie, a 'geographical' cure rarely works. Only true acknowledgement of addiction and a desire to change will start the road to recovery. My daughter tried that to get off Meth, and in the end only ruined her relationship with her beloved uncle who tried to help her and made a bunch of new, loser friends.
  17. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There aren't a lot of places that you can move to that are completely alcohol free. I never been to a town or village that is completely alcohol free.
  18. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Obviously. Where I come from, although there's an age limit for it, kids can obtain alcohol from virtually any "shady" store without putting much effort into it. On top of that, they take advantage of it and continue taking alcohol up until their parents find out, which unfortunately doesn't happen too soon. But you know, you can only hope for things to turn out for good. :)
  19. Teresa Smith

Teresa Smith Member

You can get your hands on alcohol anywhere. I know. I lived about four miles from our closest gas station approximately 3 year ago. I would physically walk to the store and buy two Steel Reserves, every day. I walked a total of 8 miles a day just to buy alcohol. That is a sad life to live.

I feel privileged to say that I am now alcohol and drug free. I no longer use alcohol as my crutch. I have a wonderful family that support me fully and I am healthy again. :)
  20. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, I agree. Available of alcohol really defines the ease with which people become addicted to a particular drug. Alcohol can be easily obtained in any cafe or party places and it has become a part of our social life with friends, relatives, etc. In my family, almost all the men are addicted to alcohol and every weekend they take it. It has become a part of our general life just like food. That is really one reason why people get addicted to alcohol. You really pointed out the main cause of addiction of large no of peoples.