An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcopops and teenagers

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Damien Lee, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Over the past decade we have seen the rising popularity of alcopops. Generally, these are spirit coolers that tend to be lighter on alcohol. They are also artificially sweetened, similarly to soft drinks and are therefore very much sought after among teens.

Unfortunately because they are lighter on alcohol and have a more appealing taste, youngsters consume far more alcopops than is healthy for them.

Have you ever consumed an alcopop?

What do you think of teenagers consuming these drinks?
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Personally I'm not longer consuming any alcohol, though may sometime feel appealing to have a beer.

Yes, I have heard of alcopops, but I don't believe are good to anyone drinking these, much less young people, always prone to abuse of any substance on their way.
  3. panda

panda Member

I think they're delicious. It's kinda innovative how they can give you cavities and make you drunk.

However, teens are stupid and should not be consuming alcohol because they're young and their brains are still developing. If I could go back in time and avoid drinking/smoking as a teen, I would.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I remember when these types if drinks first came out and I tried a couple. To be honest I wasn't that keen on them, but I can see why they're popular with the younger generation.

And that's half the problem, the alcohol companies know what the public want, young and old, and can target a specific market, depending what they're selling.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Is it shameful to admit I loved these things even after I could legally buy my own drinks? I did drink more of them during that awkward period of time between the ages of 18-21, though. Never got anywhere beyond tipsy, but I wouldn’t advocate teens drinking them either. Just because it may not be the easiest drink to overdo, doesn’t mean it’s not possible.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

When I grew up, the cool thing was to drink beer, rum or whiskey. We all knew that we liked sugary drinks better, but we wouldn't be caught dead drinking them. I personally can't see it being a huge issue.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Seems like many of you have a sweet tooth! :D

Alcopops are indeed tasty and I've had my fair share even though I'm not one for alcohol. I've never gotten drunk on any alcopop drink and barely even experienced a buzz. The alcohol levels are thankfully quite low, as long as large quantities are not consumed they shouldn't be a danger to anyone.
  8. NicCris

NicCris Member

In society today, teens view drinking as normal and cool. Alcopops are packaged in bright and colorful labels, making them seem very attractive to young consumers and the strong flavoring conceals the bitter taste of alcohol, making alcopops more palatable to new drinkers. Unfortunately, many inexperienced drinkers believe that alcopops are harmless and not as dangerous as hard liquor.
  9. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Never really heard of these things before. Well, I doubt these would have sold where I currently reside, so yeah... it explains. Anyone want to enlighten me and explain what's about these sugary things? :)
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, it's the first time I hear about these things, so I can say I've never consumed any. Still there are teenagers who drink wine, whiskey and other stronger drinks. Jagermeister and Finlandia are the most popular among teens in my country. That's the newest drinking fad.
  11. hubertjames

hubertjames Member

A few years ago in my country there was a tax brought in that made these drinks which had traditionally been inexpensive and (off-the-books) designed for teenagers, considerably more expensive per unit of alcohol. After several months had passed the data showed that there was almost a proportionate increase in the amount of pure spirits/liquor bought in exchange for the decrease in sales of 'alcopops.' I personally thought this would have been obvious to any law-maker with a brain, but you never know.

I think the biggest issue with these drinks is that they package alcohol as a thing to use only to drink as much as possible of and get very intoxicated. There's no sense of privilege and appreciation you might get with an adult cocktail in an adult setting, hopefully with an adult conversation. Instead, a culture of quickly drinking brightly coloured, sweet drinks by the case, in your local park, is how they are brought up to view alcohol. I think that's very harmful.
  12. Crowl

Crowl Member

I'm a teenager myself, 19. And I didn't know they existed!
    Alcopops? Such a queer name.
    Apart from that, I do hear among some of my distant friends things like that. As these things get passed around with friends, I'm grateful that I don't have such friends who do that. At least, not yet.
    By your tone, it sounds harmful, but I haven't used it, and don't intend to in the future.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

I've never heard of alcopops before. Got to admit they sound fun, but I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like sugar in his drink. As far as teenagers go, I'm assuming you have to be of legal age to buy one. Let's face it, teens will always find a way to get what they want. So, I rather see them sucking on a pop than to see them gobble down a bottle of whiskey.
  14. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I had these when I was a teenager, way before I had any kind of actual problem, and the fact that they don't taste like alcohol is a huge problem, because they are very much alcoholic, and can cause young people to get drunk quicker than they probably understand. Children need to be given an education on alcohol as soon as they possibly can both at school and from their parents, as this is the only way that they are ever going to stay safe from the issues that are all around them.
  15. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I've never heard of them being called alcopops!

But yes, I've tried them before. I find them quite gross myself because they're usually so sweet. I can see the appeal for people who are just starting to drink or don't like the taste of alcohol itself, though.
  16. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Yep, those were both reasons I enjoyed drinking them when I was younger. But I eventually got used to the taste of harder alcohol. I actually can’t decide whether it was a bad idea that I started drinking alcopops in the first place, or if it was a bad idea to stop drinking them and graduate to stronger stuff, haha.
  17. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

For people that are wondering but are too lazy to search it up, here's what Wikipedia says an alcopop is:
    1. malt beverages to which various fruit juices or other flavorings have been added
    2. beverages containing wine to which ingredients such as fruit juice or other flavorings have been added (wine coolers)
    3. beverages containing distilled alcohol and added ingredients such as fruit juices or other flavorings
    Basically, it's a mild alcoholic drink. Here's the thing, though: teenagers think that they can consume way more of these than is healthy, just because the percentage of pure alcohol is milder than beer or wine (or any other alcholic drink that isn't an alcopop, really).
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

They are very much the young persons drink of choice where I'm from - and I think it's pretty dangerous because honestly, a lot of the time they're so sugary sweet that you don't even notice the alcohol taste, so you're consuming way more of them than you probably should and THEN the alcohol hits you when you're already multiple drinks deep (I'm speaking from experience here)...

Where I come from they were actually looking at taxing these drinks at a higher rate because they were aware of the fact that they are a drawcard for young people.
  19. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that the alcopops should not be viewed as lower in alcohol content which can cause some to take more than they can handle which can cause health problems. Teenagers can be influenced by the media or friends, which can cause them to take the alcopops and get addicted to it which will not be good for them and their families. It will need to be monitored and the ones who are under 18 should not be given, this as it can cause them to rely on it or think it will be good to try.
  20. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Thank you to the above poster who clarified that these are known to some as malt drinks or wine coolers. LOL
    I drank a lot of wine coolers when I was younger but it definitely wasn't what I drank around all of my friends as it was considered such a wimpy drink and it wasn't my first drink either! My friends and I drank orange juice and cheap vodka most of the time which was far more dangerous than a few wine coolers.