An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Allowing Teens To Drink At Home

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There are some parents who allow their kids to drink at home. They believe that since the kids will obtain alcohol anyway allowing them to drink a little at home would rob alcohol of it's allure and even if they have to drink when they are with their friends they'll sort of "be in control."

Do kids learn to drink in moderation if they are allowed to drink at home or does this increase the risk of them ending up being addicted to alcohol while they are still very young?
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

When I was a teenager my parents let my brothers and I drink occasionally, only like one beer to see that it isn't as fun as it seemed. My parents letting me have a beer every once in a while never stopped me from drinking with my friends when they got it though.
  3. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

My parents would allow me a glass of wine, beer or even a sip of whiskey once in a while, at holidays or birthday parties. It can influence you, but the real danger zone is peer pressure in your teens.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I was allowed a sip of wine but my parents always told me not to drink and I would get punished if I was caught drinking. Family members were allowed to drink at parties and have booze at their parties which led to problems in later life. Nobody told them it was wrong to get wasted all the time
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I was allowed to have a few drinks at home. I still went out and drank with friends too. There is a lot of peer pressure out there so that is more of an influence then whether your parents allow you to have a few drinks at home or not.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that your question depends on the personality of the kids, if they have an addictive personality or not. Allowing them to drink at home will make them more open about, so at least you won't have to worry about them buying alcohol secretly. However, it might encourage them to be alcoholics.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

The thing is, is that even if they're allowed to drink at home, they'll still drink elsewhere. They're not going to just drink at home. It's also making your kids think you're their friend instead of their parent. I don't think it's right at all.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

If the parents are careful about it then I think it's good. It's better to drink responsibly at home, with your parents rather than going out and getting wasted due to peer pressure. It's also safer if you get drunk since you're already home.
  9. I believe this sort of thing is a matter of opinion. If you don't let them drink at home, then more than likely they will find it somewhere else right? There are parents who let their children drink occasionally, and while this isn't the best option, it does keep them out of bigger trouble. Thought it honestly depends of the parenting style, communication and trust between the parents and children, and the personality, mindset, and conscience of the child themselves.
  10. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I don't believe you should straight out allow them to drink. If the ask to taste what you are drinking then that's fine because you condemn them and say no drinking then that's when they will want to go out and experiment.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think allowing or encouraging under age drinking at home is both illegal and immoral. You are giving tacit permission for your children to break the law. You could also be charged with contributing to the deliquency of a minor. Bad idea all the way around! I know some think it is safer at home then "out there" but it is a fallacy.
    irishrose likes this.
  12. rikka

rikka Member

I think allowing teens to drink at home is okay. If the teens are drunk and wasted in your home, at least, it is in your home, not somewhere else. But still, I think teens should be taught not to drink too much than they can handle and be responsible on handling alcoholic drinks.

I forgot what I first drank or when I first drank, but it was a bad case of allergy afterwards while going home. So I told myself that should I drink, I should drink at home with my parents or with myself. Should I be drinking out, I would rather drink makgeolli because it is not that hard on me.
  13. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I think I would let my kids drink at home after they turn 18, at least once in a while. I think it would give me an opportunity to see their behavior under the influence of alcohol and would allow me to advise them on it. Everyone acts differently when they consume. In a way I would like them to understand that alcohol is not a big deal, that it's overrated, and that to me once in a while is ok.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

When I was a teenager, my parents never did allow nor prohibit me from drinking alcohol at home. I never asked though because I think that's not right. However, I think they have already got an idea back then that I have already been exposed to alcohol. They just didn't talk to me about that issue.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it's obviously not recommended, I think a lot of parents will allow their children to have a drink of beer or a sip of wine at odd occasions and I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with that as long as it's only now and again.

In some cultures having a glass of wine with a meal is seen as the norm, and as long as it is just the one glass then that's not entirely inappropriate.
  16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not really sure about this, it can be helpful to the confidence between the teenager and the adult, but in the other hand it can be dangerous if they don't really know how to handle it, I guess that it can be a good thing to do only on special occasions but it's important to tell them all the alcohol risks before and they will decide if they still want to drink or not.
  17. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

18. kgord

kgord Community Champion

A
    After they are legally of age that is a different matter. Letting your kids drink at home as minors or drinking with them is just asking for trouble. I mean this isn't Europe. drinking is not as readily accepted here. It is illegal for minors to drink alcohol in the US people!!
    MichelleVL likes this.
  19. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

It's much better for teens to be drinking at home where their parents can at least keep an eye on them, than out drinking with other people.
  20. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's an either-or situation. I wouldn't say yes but I'm also not discounting the possibility of it happening. Back in high school, my brothers were allowed to sip or drink the beer my dad was drinking even though they're not yet 18. However, they didn't grow up to become frequent drunkards. I guess it all depends on the kind of environment teens grow up in. In my country, values formation is strong so things like underage drinking at home hardly turn teens into future alcoholics.