An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Almost losing my mind

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Whiskers, Sep 5, 2015.

1. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Wow... I have read all the advice and comments made here and they are all so touching and shows how supportive everyone on here is! Being in relationship with an alcoholic or an addict in general really is hell on earth.

I honestly don't have anything much different to tell you except reiterate what most of the people here have already said which is do not let his addiction take a hold of you as well! I suppose that this is where tough love would come in, talk to him again(I am sure that you have talked to him about a hundred times)about his condition and try to show him exactly what he has lost because of his addiction and what he stands to lose in the near future!

The ultimate thing would then be to give him an ultimatum which as we all know could end up leaving you with a broken heart. I hope that his love for you can clear his mind and that if you do give him the ultimatum(that it is either he seeks help or it's over) he will chose to seek help and clean his act up!

Finally I advice that no matter what because it comes across that you truly care deeply for this man, always be there for him... I believe that one day he will realize that the addiction is killing him and will need your support. Try to always assure him of your support but making sure that his addiction doesn't cripple you.

All the very best.
    deanokat likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Whiskers... Still keeping good thoughts for you. I hope you are well. Peace and hugs to you.
  3. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Perhaps, seeing how much he loves you could be a first step. Sometimes we build relationships around the wrong reasons without knowing. Offering him an ultimatum will definitely open your eyes to see how much he loves you. Remember, that love goes both ways and sometimes when it is one way the other partner gains complete understanding and uses it against you.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well maybe pointing out the relaties of the situation would help. He is not supporting himself an is having to live with his parents. Tell him you know that he can do better, and can do better if he discontinues alcohol use. I mean he has to want to change, and if he is satisfied living as he is, there is not much you can do to change it.
  5. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Ohhh Whiskers; where re you, how are you doing? I sure so hope you are busy with a happy life and moving forward; you have a fabulous support group here waiting to hear an update and to know you are well. Best wishes on your journeys in life.
    deanokat likes this.