An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Aloha!

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by mistermiranda, Apr 2, 2016.

1. mistermiranda

mistermiranda Member

I'm a probation officer, and drug addiction in my community is one reason why I embarked on this career path a little over a year ago. I have always worked in social services, and I find it rewarding when I am able to share prosocial techniques with people and see them feel motivated and capable to use what I shared with and taught them to make their lives better on their own.

I mainly joined this forum to learn from individuals who conquered addiction, and are in the process of battling it to help make myself a better, compassionate probation officer, as well as to provide motivation and support for those who need it.
    bhu, MrsJones and deanokat like this.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hello officer! And welcome to the community. A lot of us here indeed need help and support, I'm glad that you're here to lend a hand.

I hope to hear more from you and I hope that we can learn from one another.
    mistermiranda likes this.
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Welcome @mistermiranda. We are happy to have you on board. I am sure you will learn a lot here and the experience will be mutually beneficial.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Hi mister, and I hope you can benefit from being on the site It will be pretty interesting for you I think. It is just one of the great ways you can learn about what has helped people conquer addiciton. There are some interesting folks on here to be sure. I would think it would be a major benefit to you.
  5. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

I am glad that you joined the forum. This forum really needs the people like you. You are a kind hearted compassionate man who wants to help the other people, I really appreciate this fact. Thank you for joining the forum. :)
    bhu likes this.
  6. mistermiranda

mistermiranda Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Just curious, where are all of you from? Are any of you current/former addicts, or allies/family/friends of addicts?
    MrsJones, Winterybella and Mara like this.
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I come from a family of alcoholics, I'm not proud of it but it's the truth. I used to be a chain smoker and used to engage in a lot of binge drinking sessions. But now, I'm clean and totally sober while writing this. HA!HA!
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Welcome aboard Mister Miranda! This forum will definitely provide you with additional insights into various types of addiction, which may help widen your horizons as a probation officer. I wish you well and thank you for offering your time and expertise in the service of others.
    bhu and mistermiranda like this.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there, Mr. Miranda! I love the fact you joined us for such a selfless reason, good for you :) I can honestly say you are very very welcome to the forum :) I'm sure you will learn a lot from being here, I know I have. Being part of this forum has helped me learn so many new things, not only about recovery and how to stay in the path, but also about myself.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am from Barbados. I am not an addict. Marijuana is still illegal in my country and I know a lot of people who are addicted to it. I also know one or two who've done some time as a result of it. It's was desire to learn as much as I can about marijuana that brought me here.
    bhu likes this.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

This world needs a lot of people like you Sir! This forum will be of help in achieving your goal of helping troubled people, and I'm sure the members will appreciate any input that you would give. Welcome to the forum!
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Hello @mistermiranda and welcome to the forum! Sir we are glad that you had came here in order to help and to motivate people who are still struggling and recovering from addiction. I am sure you can share a lot of information that can contribute much in this community. I wish you all the best and may God be always be with you to fulfill your good intention to serve and help other people.
  13. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Hello! and welcome to the forum, I like what you're doing hopefully I'll be able to contribute somehow to your cause. I'm from Venezuela and there is no history of drug abuse in my family other than alcohol and tobacco. I myself have had problems with certain drugs, also know many addicts and former addicts, some of them are my closest friends, so I consider I have some experience about the whole situation.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@mistermiranda... Welcome to the community. The work you're doing is so appreciated, and it's great that you want to learn more about the people you will be helping. I'm from Michigan, and I got involved with helping people and families who struggle with addiction when my son started using drugs as a teenager. I just want to help others avoid some of the pain that my family went through. I hope to see you around the various forums here, my friend! Aloha!
    bhu likes this.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Welcome, @mistermiranda! Thank you for the work that you do as a probation officer. I am sure that much of your work goes unappreciated, and I think that it is really great that you have joined this forum to gain insight from addicts and recovering addicts. Perhaps you will also be able to offer some insight to people who need help on this forum, as I am sure you have experience in dealing with addicts and the problems that go along with addiction.
  16. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Hello @mistermiranda. I've already had the pleasure of reading some of your responses, welcome and thank you for your introduction.

I live in Ohio with my husband who is a recovering alcohol and substance abuse user. I joined the forum a little over a year ago to share my experiences and encouragement of support within forum discussions.

There's always a need for new perspectives and objectivity, again welcome.
    bhu likes this.
  17. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Hello and welcome, @mistermiranda. It's great to have you here on the forum, especially with your intentions. I'm from the Deep South. Some of my family, friends and partners have suffered from addiction to various drugs of choice. Some of those drugs include prescription medication, tobacco, alcohol, food, money, power, sex, etc. That led me to Al Anon, a 12 step group for friends and families of alcoholics (and addicts, because alcohol and drugs are often abused together), and most recently, here. I know you'll find the answers you're looking for. I wish you luck in your quest to provide better service. You're on the right path. Keep coming back.
  18. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Well, I am not a serious addict of any particular drug but I want to help those who are suffering from a particular addiction and that is why I joined the site. I am from India.
  19. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Hello, welcome to this forum!
    It makes me happy that there are still people willing to help, that's what makes the world a better place. Social services are precious, I think that one of the most gratifying things in life is to know that you have helped others, even if is just a little change it's something. I also hope to learn from people experiences and perspectives.
    See you around!
  20. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Hats off to you! It always brightens my day when someone is trying to help people battle addiction and seek help.
    deanokat likes this.