New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alprazolam use

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by nooperative, Feb 6, 2018.

1. nooperative

nooperative Member

So recently someone who i know decided to try Alprazolam. Now she has been experimenting with alcohol, marijuana, amphetamine (not meth), mdma and caffeine (larger doses from pills). She had periods when she would extensively use these substances, but she could easily lose every one of them. She has done completely sober months every now and then, but now she found out about Alprazolam. She used it and liked it a lot. Now anyone can help, how big is the chance of her getting addicted? Im thinking about if she could lose it like all the things above, or should i talk her out of that?
    Any answers appreciated
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@nooperative hi there. thanks for sharing. it's tough to know if someone will become addicted to something... Alprazolam is addictive, as we know... but so are the other things you said she gave up so easily... it sounds like she is experimenting with various drugs...and likes the euphoric feelings... that's not a good thing, as we know. some people can go through a "phase" like this, and then give it all up and move on with life sober and free. others can become addicted to one thing, or more than one thing. some have a "drug of choice"..meaning one they like better than the rest, and get addicted to that one drug.

as a friend, you can always sit and have a conversation about drug use in general. (in a non-threatening, non-judgmental way). let her know you are concerned and you don't want her to become addicted. it's her life, and she'll go and do what she wants, but at least she'll know you are a friend and you care about her well being... or you can let her do what she wants and hope she chooses wisely. if it were me, i would talk to my friend and let her know i see a pattern developing, and advise her to check herself...and be careful for addiction sake. but then i'd have to let her be and make her own decisions...

does this make sense?
  3. robynx125

robynx125 Member

Alprazolam is Xanax, which is very addictive. Xanax is used to treat anxiety attacks and panic attacks. It has an immediate release and it is very relaxing. It makes life seem a little more tolerable. The problem with Xanax is that it has a short life span and it wears off quickly. If it is taken more often, the dosage will no longer give you the same feeling and therefore, you will require higher doses of it every time. This is exactly how people become addicted to prescription medications. It can be dangerous, especially when you mix Xanax with alcohol. Also, there are significant physical withdrawals from Xanax, especially if it has been taken for a long period of time and then you suddenly stop. I would warn your friend about the dangers of using Xanax recreationally. I am speaking from experience having been prescribed several anti-anxiety medications for mental health issues and you can easily become very dependent on them, especially if they are not prescribed and you are using them to get high instead.
  4. nooperative

nooperative Member

@robynx125 @Dominica Thank you both very much for your replies. She didnt get them prescribed, i think she got them from a dealer. Since then ive talked to her just casually and went onto the topic, and i tried to adress my concerns in a friendly way. It turned out that she has tried it several times now with different dosages, and overall that its not her thing (possibly because she is more into stimulants). In the meantime i think she has also done some research or met someone who is/was addicted. Ive suggested her to try and stay sober for two weeks just to see if she is fine. She told me that she would think it over, but reacted rather positively. So thank you again for your replies, they helped a lot.
  5. robynx125

robynx125 Member

No problem @nooperative It sounds like you are good, caring friend to her - which is a great thing. She is lucky to have a friend like you in her life.
    Dominica likes this.
  6. biggurl1965

biggurl1965 Member

My older sister is a "Xan-addict" :( I WISH I could get her to admit that she has a problem, but she refuses to do so.
  7. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@biggurl1965 hi there. i'm sorry she is struggling with this addiction. waiting for an addict to recognize his or her addiction can be very trying..... i hope she will come to terms with it soon.