An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alternative to Junk Food

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Amelie Santos, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@Amelie

Eden Foods have some varieties of Nori that are quite healthier. Try the raw, dulse, wakame or combo variants. And avoid the toasted nori variant.

SeaSnax also carries seaweeds. They fry seaweed in olive oil and don't have salt as an additive in their ingredient list.

Good luck!
  2. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I love potato chips too because sometimes it is nice to have something crunchy and salty. Everyone had great ideas on what to have as alternatives. I have had kale but I have not tried making kale chips but I bet I would like them. The nice thing about making the food yourself is that you can try out different flavors and create your own unique tastes. Even if you made your own potato chips, they would be better for you. Roasted broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, potatoes, mushrooms, and brussel sprouts are all tasty especially when you come up with your own seasoning mix. I wish you the best of luck in finding a method that works for you.
  3. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I had the same problem for years until I found the best thing ever. I started to try to find good for you snacks that are majorly good. They had to be good for me to be able to give up my regular not so good for me snacks. I was introduced to kale chips from Rachel Ray (I love her) and they are the best thing ever. You should try them today...they will give you that crunchy salty snack you crave instead of greasy potato chips. I never go a week without making these for my family.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I guess you just have to find healthy food that is tasty. I don't recommend any of those "lost 1 ton in one week" diets because your choice of healthy food and exercise could be better than any $100 pill. Fruits are great as long as they aren't taken in abundance. I personally like strawberries and grapes, cut apples are great too, I can't eat whole apples due to sensitive teeth. I love carrots and cabbage too, I know not everyone does though.

Try making a healthy burger. Just buy a fresh roll, cook up your own healthy patty of your choice or some grilled chicken, paste some simple sauce like ketchup, add tomatoes, lettuce or whatever other vegetables you like and there you have it! A delicious and healthy junk food alternative. French fries are fine if you oven bake them but too much obviously isn't good. There are a lot more out there, just look for things that don't have too much oil or sugar. You're bound to find something tasty out there. Wish you all the best on your culinary adventures!