An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alternative treatment

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by remnant, Apr 12, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Opiate withdrawal treatment is a gradual process that takes time and patience for it to come to fruition. The drugs used are mostly chemical in nature such as Buprenorphine and Methadone and have significant side effects and might be addictive in their own right. Does anyone know of other alternative medications or treatment methods like using natural therapies?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I don't know of any alternative meds or natural therapies. But maybe someone who does will weigh in.
  3. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, I can't vouch for any methods as such, but there is no harm in trying alternatives including hypno-therapy, which I have seen work for smokers. Maybe it'll work for more serious addictions as well. While a lot of people are skeptical about alt treatments, I believe that one should at least give something a try before becoming skeptical or becoming a fan. Also, look at homeopathic alternatives. Plus, if side-effects are your concern, I know that Ayurvedic and other eastern medicines don't have side-effects since they are not lab-manufactured chemicals, rather they are natural ingredients gifted to us by nature. Coming to that point, in terms of healing lungs, naturopathy works well as well.
  4. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Opiate withdrawal is a real, multifaceted medical scenario which requires complex and professional supervision. If there are any "natural" therapies then I'm not aware of them; and if I was aware of them, I probably wouldn't recommend them, in all honestly. Stick with the boring old peer reviewed science on this one!
    deanokat likes this.