An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alternative treatments for anxiety disorder?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Vinaya, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

My wife is taking medicines for anxiety which was prescribed by a physician. However, the medicines are not working. She is under medication since a week, but her condition has not improved. What are the alternative treatments for anxiety disorder?
  2. sclupto

sclupto Member

I don't know enough about medicine to advise on that, but I swear by exercise. I took up running as a hobby, and even though I don't like the running that much I feel much better when I do. Try sports or swimming or yoga. Use the endorphines to your advantage.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, exercise is good for most things and especially with anxiety. When you get some of that nervous energy out by being active, it can help a great deal with anxiety. It can also help treat depression. It really can be a panacea for a lot of different things, or at least help a great deal. I think the key is to find something you enjoy.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

5. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

Exercise definitely helps in the long run, especially yoga as @sclupto said. Another method for relieving symptoms of anxiety are calming activities such as reading or painting, even doing puzzles. Although your wife should probably talk to her doctor and let him/her know the medication isn't taking effect. He should change the medication right away, if not you may want to look into getting a new doctor.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This helps me so much too. Just removing myself from what is making me anxious and putting my feet to the pavement and running seems to let me breathe and refocus and lose that stress.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hi! Have you tried herbal medicines? These won't work alone, you still need some therapy which I would post next. Here are the herbal medicines:
    • Kava. This herb has been studied and compared to anti-anxiety medicines. It improves GABA levels in the body while maintaining other transmitters stable.
    • Valerian Root. This one isn't necessarily for anxiety but has sleep inducing effects which might be helpful for people with anxiety who cannot sleep.
    • Passionflower. For patients who don't have severe anxiety, passionflower might work for them which is a light version of kava.
    Some non-medicinal therapies include:
    • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. A form of psychotherapy that can help change unhelpful thinking as well as behaviour.
    • Yoga/Meditation. This can induce a level of consciousness or a state of mind where the person becomes more aware of his thinking.
    • Holistic Therapy. Treats the person's body, spirit and mind, as a whole.
    • Hypnotherapy. Used to make a subconscious change on the person.
    • Reflexology. Involves application pressure to certain points of the body.
    • Magnet Therapy. Uses magnetic fields.
    • Aromatherapy. Uses essential oils.
    • Acupressure. Physical pressure applied to acupuncture points in the body.
    • Reiki. Channeling energy to the patient through touch.
    I hope this helps!
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

I think that taking drugs to anxiety will just aggravate the problem, I'd go for doing sports, that really helps relieving stress and doesn't has side effects.
  9. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

If you need it the right drugs prescribed by a doctor may help you.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

- Eat more foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids. They can help because they lower the levels of stress hormones and the result would be reduced anxiety.

- Spend more time outdoors. I've heard that spending about 30 minutes outdoors can reduce anxiety. It's got something to do with the vitamin D you get from sunlight.

- Have more fun - watch a comedy - - or just do anything that will make you happy. It's not a treatment but this too will reduce stress/anxiety.
  11. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

My ex wife and I both have panic attacks.
    They usually come at random.. They are new to me as I just started having them around two months ago.
    The doctors have my wife on a monthly regiment of a certain benzo.
    I have also been prescribed a different benzo the last time I went to the ER for a panic attack.

I am in the same boat you are when it comes to looking for an alternative way to help treat anxiety as I do not do well with benzos at all and never have.

A short term relief I have found when I am having a panic attack is taking my shirt off and pressing my back against a cold wall. My wife taught me about this technique.. Whenever I start to have one I do this every time and it helps me.
    As far as a long term different technique I do not have one either.
  12. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

Exercise is good and so is certain foods. There are certain foods that are supposed to be good for anxiety and depression. I'm not sure which ones right off the bat, but you can do a google search on it and see. I have to take a beta blocker for a heart condition. It's also been known to be used for anxiety but I'm not sure if it really works that well.
  13. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

Yes like @lonleyfaith said, certain foods may help. Changing your overall diet can make a huge difference too! Staying away from carbs, fatty or sugary foods. Eating more fruits, veggies and protein can make you feel so much better. When you feel better anxiety is less likely to occur.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Others have already provided you with detailed answers so what I can offer you right now is additional insight into your wife's case. Since the prescribed medication isn't working, it means her anxiety is fuelled by emotional baggage - perhaps a past trauma that hasn't been resolved yet. When anxiety stems from the heart, no amount of medication can ease it. An expert who can help her trace the root of her anxiety may be in order. Just continue to support her. People with anxiety should spend less time alone. They feel more anxious when they are. All the best!
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not really sure... But she's taking the medication at the same time that she's going through a psychological therapy? I've heard that that's how psychiatrist usually work, you need to have controlled the chemical and the emotional part at the same time, I guess.
  16. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

I keep several techniques handy to quell anxiety. The strongest is hiking. When I return from hiking four miles in about forty-five minutes, I'm too tired to be upset about anything. Sometimes I've even worked out a solution to whatever the problem was. Every day, at least upon waking, but if I have time, also at lunch and bedtime, I do an indoor workout that consists of breathwork, chakra Reiki, some super-easy Hatha yoga and ab crunches. Another trick I use is, if I haven't had anything to eat or drink in some time, to touch my toes and stay there for twelve breaths. This helps my brain get some blood supply and flow. It's wonderfully calming. Hope it helps.
  17. Jani_pikki

Jani_pikki Member

Lifestyle changes may not cure an anxiety disorder but they can go a long way to relieving some of the anxiety disorder symptoms. Lifestyle changes are best used in conjunction with other treatments to attain their full benefit.

Lifestyle changes that help rid someone of anxiety disorder symptoms include:

• Dietary changes such as avoiding caffeine
    • Getting more exercise and proper rest
    • Learning to meditate, practice mindfulness or do relaxation exercises
    • Practicing yoga
    • Learning skills with which to better handle stress
    deanokat likes this.
  18. Marsan

Marsan Member

Ditch those medicines whenever you can, just be careful! Going off too fast is pretty rough.

I feel like the best things for anxiety are exercise, starting off with simple goals, and gradual exposure to anxious situations. I used to have such bad anxiety that I'd be home all day! So eventually I summoned up the strength to make a little goal each day. Could be to just clean the kitchen, maybe do the laundry, or go outside for a small bit.

This led to me realizing how weak I had gotten, so I started doing Youtube workout videos at home. It is amazing how much confidence you get from just working out. I'm no bodybuilder, but I feel so awesome when I get done with one of those videos! With that awesomeness, I took my butt out to the library and just got a membership card. That was the goal, just a simple membership card. I ended up sticking around and reading a few books.

Slowly building up from tiny goals into something big has allowed me to get my life in order, but it took a long time. Continue to be patient with your wife, and I'm sure she can get things blossoming again.