An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Always looking for their next high

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by pineywood, Apr 11, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Ever had a friend that you want to hang out with and be a positive role model, and all they want to do is think about their next drink or getting their next fix. I find it to be a real drag. Does it make you just stop even hanging out with them?

I find it so frustrating. I will come up with a really cool day, like hanging out at the beach. What's not to like about spending a day in the sun having fun! And if they show up, all they do is keep looking at their watch! I say, "if" because I have been stood up more times then I can count!
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I had friends like that but only with alcohol, not with any other drugs. To them, it seemed like fun times legitimately weren't possible unless there was copious amounts of alcohol involved. You couldn't do anything without the question of "will there be booze there?" regularly coming up. It really did put a downer on trying to arrange activities with them because it seemed like drinking was always the central focus.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

What I've learned from experience is to never give up on friends because you never know when they'll need you. Of course you can offer advice from time to time but that doesn't mean that friend will change overnight. It will take time but eventually maybe they'll be willing to face the fact that they have a problem. That's why you ought to be around . . . just in case.
  4. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

Didn't bother me as much. I had friends in high school who I didn't really hanged out because they were either annoying or really dependent on me, but when they needed help with their problems or anything, I was there for them. I remember once one tried to get me into LSD and stuff. I've promptly denied his offer and moved along.
  5. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

I have a friend like that who is always itching for an alcoholic drink. Every party we attend to he would ask for one, sometimes in a rude manner too. I stopped being friends with him when he overstepped his borders and just came in our house without knocking asking for a drink. I got so mad I kicked him out and stopped talking to him.
  6. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I know what it feels like having a friend who's always seem to be talking about his drug of choice, what makes those talks even more awkward is that they're even proud of it. I have a friend who is hooked on opiate and he's always inviting us to join his little party.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Considering that I'm a recovering alcoholic I should be hanging around those kinds of friends from the past. Sure I would like to catch up, but not at the cost of my sobriety.
  8. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Exactly! Being proud of being an addict, sure does come along with the territory some people. It is not only awkward, but sad, especially when you see them so darn happy, excited, and proud about life, when not using. The proudness, when using, is a different kind of emotion, per se. I think, it is them, kind of justifying their addiction, as if, it was a good, normal, healthy activity. Or they are covering up their guilt. Hmm, I am just not sure. But, I do know, it is on their minds 24/7. Looking for that next high.
  9. kianthras

kianthras Member

I find its really hard to be involved when people go on about their addiction. I never got into anything, aside from a short issue with codene, so in most peoples mind I'm lily-white. And they tend to look down on ME for not wanting to talk about it 24/7. "Oh, well you never did [insert addiction here], so you wouldn't understand how much better life is with it."Unfortunately, when people start saying things like that to me, I find it incredibly hard to justify spending time with them. I know I should try and be supportive, but its not always easy to see past the addiction, especially when they have no mindset to change.