An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Always on the edge of relapse?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Cheeky_Chick, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

A lot of people who have struggled with addiction in the past have mentioned that they always feel as though they could relapse at any moment, and I can understand what they mean by this, because a lot of the time I will admit that I feel the same. But it made me wonder.. how do you cope with the fact that anything could trigger a relapse at any point? Is there anything that you can do to stop it from being the case?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The only thing that worls for me is removing myself fromt he situation immediately. I ws a coke addict and whilst I've not used it for nine years now, it does occasionally rear its ugly head in my extended circle. Most of the time, I dion't give it any thiought. However, there are times, perhaps when I'm not feeling particularly good about my life, when the fact that someone has it really bothers me. In those cases, it's best just to go home before I end up caving in.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

There would always be temptations and cravings along the way, but as for me, I just always try to practice self-control. I know it's pretty difficult to resist these kinds of stuff, but when you have discipline over yourself, you can be able to just say no to addiction.
  4. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

It is a sad reality that your monster is always right around the corner. Your monster does not always have to defeat you however. It is always up to us to make sure that we are vigilant and staying away from anything that would trigger addictive urges. One of the things that has really helped me is religion. I believe in the superior One who is able to give you energy and strength beyond what you can muster from your own self. I believe in living a life like this you become very selfless and I understand that your actions have consequences and you are living not to please yourself but the higher power.
  5. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

But then the question will be raised, how do you become a self controlled individual? I think the answer lies within one's own determination. We have to evaluate what we believe is good for our well being and the well being of our loved ones. There must be a focal point, something or someone on which we focus that gives us that drive and motivation to stay away from our addictions.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Triggers can really make you do things that you will regret especially if you give in to them. I find that avoiding triggers is the best way to avoid a relapse. But then again, there will be situations that such triggers cannot be avoided. If only self-control and discipline are easy to achieve for these triggers but more often than not, it will be extremely difficult achieving them when you are faced with triggers. It helps if you have someone with you who can help you get through the situation. A number of a friend or loved one you can call during such times. Support is the best way to get through such scenarios.
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

One thing I've learned from having relapse is that to avoid what triggers your addiction. I know it's easier said than done. It's really hard not to give in to temptation especially if you feel that you really NEED to have it. And we shouldn't delude ourselves in to believing that we can always STOP anytime that we want to. It's not true. Addictions are hard to combat, so aside from controlling ourselves, we also need people around us to intervene whenever we feel that we would have a relapse.
    Familyfirst likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I tend to think that most addicts that are going through, or have been through recovery aren't to far away from relapse, but as long as you keep your willpower and your desire to beat your addiction then it us something that can be controlled.
    rcdpink likes this.
  9. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I've grown to become very forgiving of myself. I realize that if I can forgive myself then I am ridding myself of certain burdens. I am allowing my heart and my mind to not be strained with stress and lost of peace. I've told myself that even when I relapse, that does not define who I am and what I will ultimately become. Getting over a weakness or an addiction is not an overnight thing. So I am prepared to forgive myself as many times as I should until I reach that day of perfection.
  10. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

That is very true. The temptation is perpetual. The cravings and aching. One thing is for sure, it really takes a concerted effort and focus to maintain that kind of control. But control is possible.
    pwarbi likes this.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it was just time. For the first few years I would say I felt like I was sitting on the edge of a cliff. I was stable - but if someone or something came and gave me a big old push, it could be likely that I'd feel like I was over the edge. With each year that passed I felt like I was getting more and more confident - it did take work and focus, and realizing what triggers I had. I always tell people it takes work, but it's okay that it does!
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I like to think I'm in control of my past addictions but the reality is that I'm only a line of coke away from a relapse. For me, the best thing to do was to develop coping strategies to deal with occasions where it might be offered.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I know a man who has been 20 years sober but he knows he's still weak and can fall and for that reason always avoids being around places where he'll find the drugs. Should his plan not work, then he has restrain himself from slipping. Not easy but if you can learn how to "build a strong willpower" you can do it too.
  14. pwarbi

I think that's the perfect way to treat a relapse. I used to beat myself up for days and consider myself a failure but that's not the case at all.

Now if I do, I just treat it as a stumble, forget about it and carry on. How you recover from a relapse defines who you are, not the fact you've relapsed in the first place.
  15. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

That is exactly what makes quitting cigarettes very hard, because it's everywhere and many people do it in public which makes you miss the thing so much.
  16. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think you only miss it for a while. I never feel tempted by any cigarettes or drugs anymore. It has been more that 25 years and I will never allow anything to control me that way again. Once I realized that I am in control, it freed me to make my own choices, good choices that take me to a better life.
  17. pwarbi

As the years go by the temptation does decrease, and eventually you don't miss it at all.

I also think a lot of that is to do with growing older and you realise even more then what your responsibilities are and drugs, smoking and drinking aren't your main priorities any more.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think everyone is different, but for me... well, I must admit I enjoy it too much I need to go get a procedure done and they use certain anesthetic. I was just thinking about that the other day, it scared me. Other than that, no I don't feel like I could relapse any day, specially when it comes to alcohol. Some weeks ago I had a strong craving, thankfully it was for something very specific and that can't be bought in the average liquor store.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

That one is hard! I think for us recovered addicts it's even harder... because well, for us indulging in such a thing would clearly be seen as a relapse and that hurts us very bad in every single way. It hurts to think we might have to start all over and that we threw everything out the window. Kudos to you for staying strong!
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I'm sure you can change that. The way you describe it reminds me of how it felt when I changed my eating habits. Probably because there clearly are addictive "drugs", chemicals, in the processed foods. The only thing that kept that urge away was to eat the proper calorie amount every day of the right foods. I'm sure to an extent this has to apply to drug addiction. I mean if anyone doesn't eat the right amount they are calorie restricting, it will make you binge. Why not if you don't eat the proper caloric intake wouldn't it drive you to do drugs. If you are inclined to do so in the first place. Maybe there is an association there. You know, the anxious feeling of needing something. Relapsing into drugs being an urge in your body that actually is that you are in need of real food. Smokers are like that. It suppresses their appetite so, why not?