An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Am I becoming addicted AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Davienna, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Hi everyone, of late I started drinking socially again. I had stopped in previous years as I was very reliant on alcohol. Anyway, I have been really stressed of late and I find myself wanting to drink to ease the tension more often than not. Even at nights I want to drink in order to fall asleep as I had stopped masturbating. It is so hard for me as once I stop one thing I become reliant on another.
    What should I do?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Davienna... I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with alcohol again. If you were very reliant on it once, chances are you will become reliant on it again. I think it would be best for you to stop now, before it gets even harder to manage. Perhaps engaging in some sort of physical exercise in the evenings could help make falling asleep easier for you. You'll probably sleep better, too; contrary to popular belief, alcohol really disrupts your sleep cycle. It may make you fall asleep more quickly, but after that it just wreaks havoc on your sleep pattern.

We're here to help and support you however we can.

Peace and hugs.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I agree with deanokat and I think @Davienna should get more involved with people and new things to get your mind off idleness and loneliness. The mind plays tricks on us when we have no one near us or something important nagging at us.

Hang in there and please get rid of the alcohol.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Acknowledging the problem is a good first step! Have you considered AA or a similar group? It can really help to talk to others who are in similar situations. What about counseling? Sometimes it helps to have a kind, supportive person to vent to. They would have ideas to help as well. Hang in there and keep us updated as to how you are doing!
    deanokat likes this.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

You are choosing to drink for all the wrong reasons and it can only lead to more problems. There is no excuse that is worth losing yourself to alcohol. I agree. I think you need to find something to do so that you don't feel tension or are bored and can't fall asleep. There are many other safe alternatives like having a warm glass of milk before going to bed to help you relax. Exercising does help too. Since you already know you have a problem with alcohol you need to get control of it now before it gets out of control.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Davienna

Thank you very much! I actually know a few things that I can do but I just need to gather the will power and courage to do that. Maybe if I had someone to go home to then I would't feel so weird and become reliant. Sometimes I just need comfort and someone to talk to. I tried exercising but after a day or 2 I become weary from it.
  7. Davienna

Thank you. Group counselling seems like a good idea, I should really consider that, come to think of it. The only thing is that these counselling centres are not easily accessible where I am.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You could try drinking some tea one hour or so before you go to bed. It helps me fall asleep, as it has a really soothing effect. Additionally, you could try working out, or picking up a sport. Something to put your energy in, and I guarantee that you will have the best sleep ever! This will also keep you busy during the day so you will forget about your cravings. Good luck!
  9. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

Hello everyone, well I did good not drinking for a couple days and then slipped back into it. I did turn it down last night which was due to the major headache I had after waking up from drinking the night before. I really want to stop. but find even when I'm really happy I want to drink. I haven't been on here for a couple of days because I was ashamed to admit that I had backtracked, yet I have realized this is the best place for me to talk about it.
  10. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Yes, @bonzmistrz, keep coming back. Read the stories and keep posting. You need support and encouragement. Reaching out is the best thing you can do. Take some time to research in-person, local support groups as well. It helps to have someone to call or hang out with when you feel the urge coming on. I also recommend not hanging out with people who offer you alcohol. I know it is hard to distance yourself from your friends, but it would be the best thing for you! Look forward to hearing from you soon :)
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I agree with Dean, exercise sounds like a really good thing to do, because is not only very good for your body, but it's very likely to help you sleep better. You don't have to do something complex, by going for a walk after dinner for 30 minutes I think you'd be doing enough to have a better night of sleep. Attending AA meetings sounds like a good idea as well! The more support you get the better.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. deanokat

@bonzmistrz... There's no reason to feel ashamed about slipping up, my friend. It's oftentimes a part of the process. It's not the slip-up that defines you; it's how you react to it. So get up, brush yourself off, and get back on track. We're here to help and support you. And we will never judge you. You're safe here!
    MrsJones likes this.
  13. Davienna

Thank you very much. Now I truly feel motivated. This site has done so much for me mentally it is unbelievable. Talking here helps to alleviate the pain and stresses of my life. It is always good to feel appreciated and comfortable in my own skin.
    MrsJones, Mara and deanokat like this.
  14. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

It's good that you are seeing the problem and want to kick the habit. Maybe you have too sudden in quitting the other habit. Therefore resorting to the alcohol is seeking to make up for abrupt dislocation. There is a saying "that breaking up is hard to do" so u should understand it won't be an easy task in trying to quit these habits. However, keep it mind that where there is a will there is a way. You have kicked one habit so you will be able to quit the other. One big move for you to make is to stop the social drinking habit this will, in some ways, eliminate some of the temptation.
  15. deanokat

@Davienna... You are very welcome. That's what we're here for. :)
  16. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

Thank you everybody for your support, see the thing with me is I am not one to be around a bunch of people..That's why I was so excited to find this site. There are people here that can relate to me and I very much appreciate the support. While it does help, I still have my demons. My aunt picked up my kids last night for a little while, this will be the real test. This is a really hard month for me, on the 24th it will be four years since my oldest son passed away. He was my little buddy, always there for me, we would stay up late at night and eat ice cream while my other kids were sleeping. He also started a ritual at night where when I tuck them in at night I say goodnight, I love you, I'll see you in the morning. As it is the good memories I need to hold on to to keep me going, it is also those that break my heart.
    deanokat and Mara like this.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hi @Davienna. It happens to the best of us. But always remember you were able to combat your problems with alcoholism before. You can do so again. We're all rooting for you. :)
  18. Dilof

Dilof Member

I'd definitely try limit yourself in social situations and do things to distract you from your urges.
  19. henry

henry Community Champion

I'll say it once again, do you want to sleep like a baby? MEDITATION!!! I do it every night, and I sleep like a log. Even my dreams have become clearer. I don't dream with tarantulas anymore. Give that a try. You won't be sorry.
  20. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I would say that you already know the answer to this is yes. But I also feel that since you've came here that you want help and you want sobriety. You have taken the first step towards it and I know that with determination you'll be able to overcome this again. Exercise and meditation helps cravings. I am a food addict that had weight loss surgery..and now that I have no "vices" I exercise a lot and it helps me to overcome the cravings. It also makes me feel good emotionally. Best wishes to you and please continue to come and get support from here..this place is great.