An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Am I becoming addicted AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Davienna, Mar 15, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

The only thing is that exercise too close to bedtime can have an opposite effect and keep you awake. Plus if you are like me, exercise does not really help me to sleep. It sounds like you are missing people in your life. Do you have a friend you can call before bed or can you do a little prayer or meditation perhaps? You can always find online AA meetings or counseling to help you kick the habit once and for all.
  2. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I'd say try find alternatives. Try and come to terms with the fact that you do not need alcohol in your life and at the same time you don't need to drink heavily at a party. A simple strategy I utilize is to slowly sip on one drink at a time, be conscious of your actions. aimeep80 recommended exercise and meditation and while I cannot speak for meditation as I have not tried it myself, I'm sure exercise may help a lot not only in keeping you healthy and away from your urges, but its a great way to spend time doing that instead of doing the things you shouldn't be doing.

Always keep in mind the fact that you will be so much better without those worries in your life and keep setting goals, even if it means having one less beer per week, that slowly turns into 10 less and eventually none. You don't need it to be happy, find other ways to enjoy life, there are plenty.
  3. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

One thing that helps in controlling any addiction is to immerse yourself in something you like to do or some work which requires a lot of focus. Usually, that's the case with many drugs. It automatically deviates you from the problem.
    As far as sleeping goes, I usually hit the gym during evening. The fatigue helps me sleep. You should try something like that.
    Your issue seems to be getting bad every day in a linear manner. I personally think it's better to cut down on the substance before it goes extreme.
  4. monty

monty Active Contributor

See bad and good things are a part of the life and it's not the reason that when you face the bad times then you start drinking.It's not the good idea I think and you should take the solution out of the problem and not just start drink.Well! about masturbation, I think you can do it for 2-5 times in a week because according to science it releases tension and gives you pleasure.
  5. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

I understand your situation. The urges to drink the alcohol are very strong but you need to defeat it. You need to understand that you can live your social life actively without the use of alcohol. If your friends offer alcohol to you, just ignore it strictly no matter how strong the urges get. You can do it. I would like to know why you stopped masturbating?
  6. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

In my opinion, she does not need to drink alcohol to release tension and pleasure. There are many 'non-addictive' things that she can do to release the tension and stress but I would highly recommend you not to relapse just because of tension. She can do meditation and i is scientifically proved that meditation can improve the stress levels. She can also listen to music in order to reduce the stress levels.