An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

An Alcoholic's Fight for Life

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by gracer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I just thought I'd share this story of someone I know who has been an alcoholic most of his life. He used to consume alcohol almost everyday especially when he's off from work. Sometimes he would drink beer, other times he would drink hard liquor. Even upon waking up he used to drink alcohol as though it was his breakfast. He has a wife and kids but I guess they haven't done much to stop him of his alcohol consumption. His sons and daughters became alcoholic drinkers themselves and some of them chose to leave home to maybe get away from the kind of life they have. They are considered among the poor families of our community so I guess they had no other choice but to just run away.

Now the father is suffering from end-stage liver cancer. They have a family history of the disease but it might have been triggered by his alcoholism. His doctors told him the cancer has already affected most of his system so the only measure they could give him now is palliative care.

It is a sad fate that this person has to endure now. Nature took its course on him and I guess there's no more chance of reform.
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

No matter how sad and tragic this story is, there is still hope. Perhaps this man will not live for much longer, but in his remaining time he can still do some things that, no doubt, he probably wanted to do for a long time. One of those things is to make peace with certain issues that have probably been bothering him for years. Even if his body is not capable of repairing itself anymore, his spirit and heart sure are. He can still make peace with certain people, certain things.
    gracer likes this.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Cancer cells do multiply and grow from alcohol consumption. But it is a shame that it has gotten this bad. He just need to stop all of his activities and fight off the cancer with naturally with a good diet. He needs to stay away from alcohol, sugar, and smoke. Those are the main culprits of full blown cancer.
    gracer likes this.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Excessive alcohol drinking can cause liver cancer. Well, I think it's already too late for him to get back on track since he's going through the last stage of it. I guess people must really be aware of the bad effects of alcoholism before this addiction could ruin their life.
    gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

@amethyst You're so right. I really feel sad for this man and his family because I have been a constant witness of their life struggles. I also hope that they would be able to settle things needing to be solved before it's too late. Tragic as it is, I hope this man's story will serve as an eye opener to anyone whose life is still in a mess right now but still has the gift of time to change. Please do not wait until it's too late, there's still more to life than wasting it away on substances. I for once was just like this man but I chose to change for the people I love and for the good of everyone around me.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also do know some alcoholics here in our community although I do not know them personally, I could see/hear them drinking every day from daylight until midnight. So basically they are drinking almost the whole day and someone had stroke even on his young age because of too much drinking.
    Also someone I know had a dad who also died in liver cancer last year because of addiction to alcohol.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it's a sad story, I fear it's one that is an everyday occurrence until people stop abusing alcohol. The thing is though, people know the risks, as they do with smoking so in some ways, while it's a sad story, it's hard to feel too much sympathy for them.

It's the people left behind that really suffer.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

That's very unfortunate but it's a very common story among the less fortunate, I think since they are not as equipped or educated enough to combat mental and emotional problems in a more healthy way but thankfully nowadays many people can afford to access online resources so perhaps even the less fortunate of the next generation will have a better chance at educating themselves and doing better.
    gracer likes this.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

What a sad storry. Hopefully, his sons and daughters will be able to break free from alcoholism themselves before it becomes too late.
    gracer likes this.
  10. gracer

I hope so too. They're the ones needing proper guidance right now. I hope they have learned a valuable lesson out of their father's situation and be able to break free from their dependence on alcohol. As much as I would like to help, I can't just go and meddle with their family affairs so all I could do right now is share their story for people to be more aware of the negative effects of alcohol on an individual and his/her family.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think in his last days, he can try and make peace with his wife and family who got separated from years ago and maybe can change around in the days that he has left. I think, this can be a lesson that others can learn that alcohol addiction can ruin families and bring financial ruin to a family which can be sad as well. The children can see, the path the father took was not the right one and learn from this and also not to go down this path as this can cause problems for their family.
    gracer likes this.
  12. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

There is indeed a lot of bad things that could happen to your health when you have this kind of vice. It's best that you learn it before it's too late. Sadly for most people though that they try to quit when they're already dying.
    gracer likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

That's the key thing isn't it, a lot of people only turn over a new leaf and try and change things after they have had a scare or when it's already too late. That's Hunan nature though I guess...
    gracer likes this.