An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

An illegal psychedelic drug could help treat opiate addiction

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by xraycookie, Nov 12, 2015.

1. xraycookie

xraycookie Member

Kevin, a 24-year-old opiate addict tried many standard treatments like rehab and Suboxone. They didn't work for him so he enrolled in an unorthodox study on the properties of ibogaine, specifically in treating opiate addiction.

Of the thirty people enrolled in the study, only twelve made it to the end, partly because most lost contact with the researchers after being given the treatment. Preliminary data showed relapses but that could be attributed to lack of support networks.

One similar study conducted in New Zealand resulted in eleven out of fourteen patients staying off of opiates for one year after the treatment.

The full article is on Verge.com

It seems that treating addiction is often a matter of choosing the lesser evil, but it's still nice to see more novel and potentially more effective options being considered.
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I agree with the lesser evil thing. It's always bad thing used to treat worse things, fighting fire with fire. It actually works in a lot of cases too. I'm fine with that, unfortunately sunshine and rainbows can't cure everything. I wish, though!
    Peachtree likes this.
  3. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Psychedelic drugs have shown massive potential in treating drug addiction. The problem is that society still sees them as akin to cocaine and heroin, when they are not. Psychedelic addiction for most substances is non-existent, and the benefits they could brings warrants further investigation.
  4. jazzyjazz

jazzyjazz Member

Psychedelic drugs have tremendous potential for the treatment of opiates and other drugs addictions. a Psychedelic drug named Ibogaine a brown powder derived from the African Tabernathe iboga plant has shown tremendous potential of treating heroin addiction. But the risks involved in using these drugs are too high and that is why scientist haven't been able to make major breakthroughs because of the restrictions of funds to conduct their researches.
  5. danjon

Ayahuasca therapy can be great for certain addictions. I don't know if it is something to do with the introspection that the drug elicits, but it has certainly helped people overcome a history of long-term drug addiction. I'd definitely suggest anyone who has tried other methods and had no luck research this as a last resort.
  6. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

I think that psychedelics have the capability to destroy your ego which can lead to a potential breakthrough or change of perspective which may be helpful for people who have trouble with conventional methods. I can't speak with certainty though as I have no read any of the studies linked to the therapy.

That article was an interesting read, thanks.
  7. danjon

Ego destruction can be so crucial to some people in breaking their addictive behaviors. Like you say, psychedelics can help achieve this, but they can also ruin a person's ego too, so badly in some cases that they can never get over their initial psychedelic experience.