An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Animal "therapy"

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by amethyst, May 4, 2015.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I love all animals, but during my recovery from alcohol I found that I needed to be a lot more with animals than humans. Animals don't judge you and offer you unconditional love not matter what. For example, my dog is always happy to see me, whether I am up or down or angry, he will still smile at me and put his head in my lap. That is often more comforting to me than any words or gestures from a human being.
    How is your connection with animals?
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

My chickens and dogs keep me sane and give me a reason to care about waking up and getting motivated.
  3. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I couldn't agree more. My dog always makes me feel better when I'm down. He doesn't care what I look like, if I'm angry or crying, he still wants to snuggle and be around me.
  4. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I do not own any pets at the moment but reflecting back when I was still a kid, I could see how that method might work for people who love animals. I think as long as you are self aware of your own condition and do not need constant cheer or advise from close friends (well, you can always find them from the internet anyway nowadays), then I can see how staying with pets will be better than staying with people during recovery, especially since pets do not really give comments that can unintentionally stress you out.
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Pets do give you unconditional love and affection. They are in a way the best company and family you can have around you. They don't judge or give any snide remarks when you aren't looking. I love my pets and they give me strentgh and the compassion I need to get better.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I have to admit my pets are a huge source of support, companionship and absolute unconditional love. Some days it's almost like they seem to understand more than words to someone else could express. I've had times where I've just talked to my pets (sounds a bit nuts, I know!) as a way of venting -- you're right, it's a wonderful thing that they don't judge!
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

We always have a dog in the household and they can really show how much they appreciate you. We recently had a cat too and she also knows how to welcome us when we come home although not as expressive as our dogs. :D
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Nothing but a pet to run to for hugs and cuddles when humanity doesn't give enough of them. All too often I've experienced being in a slump but after a spending some time with our cats or just walking the dogs, some of the worries slowly fade away. Their innocence and happy-go-lucky dispositions are something worth learning from. Animals rarely get hung up on problems like us humans.
  9. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I agree. Animals are incapable of judging you. They don't care about how successful you are or what mistakes you've made in the past. They don't even care about your personality as long as you're not treating them badly. That's what I've always loved about them. They'll be always there for you, even in the toughest of times. I think that's something we should cherish.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Majority of the time I feel your pets are your true friends. They don't complain about trivial things. They don't bring up the past and relish on them. They give snide remarks and use things against you. They are just happy to see you and give you undying devotion. In trying to kick the bucket in addiction, sometimes that all you need. Love, patience, and undying devotion.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I love animals as well. I like animals more than I like humans. And yes, they don't judge and they don't annoy me. I have a strong connection with cats. I feel like cats can make everyone happy. :)
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

There is a strong bond within animals and humans. I personally have a dog and it helped immensely through my recovery, especially since I needed someone who will be there for me, even if it's an animal.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Animals are sometimes much better company than humans especially when it comes to recovering people because they aren't as self absorbed are most humans are. I know a lot of people who claim to be concerned but deep inside they are just saying it because it is the right thing to say instead of actually believing it and knowing how to act on it. An animal, however, will be more selfless in providing comfort and they are even usually smart enough to be able to observe if their owner or friend is sad or in pain.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. They do make you feel happy. Comforting, you say. You know they are genuine. If they don't like someone you will know it. If they are affectionate you know they mean it this is why it is so comforting. Some people are not very genuine. The animals are unconditional if the love is there. People as they go along in life fall into a pattern different than when they first start out. The dog is persistent and loyal. Always looking for affection. What's there not to love? They are comforting.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I also have a good relationship with animals, I actually also think they're 100 times better than humans because they don't really do mean things to you and wish you and plot harm behind your back, the type of things humans did to me. That's why I love my cat to death, he never did anything malevolent to me.
  16. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Animals are awesome, but the danger is becoming dependent on them in lieu of satisfying relationships with human beings who can understand and console you during rough times. I admit though, it is great having a pet to nudge you and take your mind off things when times get tough.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Pets are a joy to be around. And yes, they love unconditionally and are loyal to a fault. It is such a nice feeling to go home and be welcomed by your pets. They see you and they get excited, they jump around and tackle you, longing for a hug. It's pure bliss.
  18. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

Yup. When my alarm goes off, so does my munchkin. He gets beyond happy that I'm starting to wake up and/or am awake. It make it really hard to start the day off in a bad mood.

Also, I have a few anger issues. I have found throwing dog toys scattered in the house is the best remedy for me. Plus it works fairly quickly. It's hard to be irritated when you throw a dog toy down the hall and your puppy bolts after it while simultaneously slipping down the hall! Haha.
  19. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I have cats and I'm like a cat so you can imagine that we only get along when either of us wants something. I wish I had a dog or something, sigh.
  20. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

Cats are great. So are dogs. if it helps my dog sometimes acts like a cat and if you pass gas he wastes no time to run off. It's pretty insulting... LOL!