An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Animal "therapy"

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by amethyst, May 4, 2015.

1. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

We have six dogs in our home... Scratch that, one just died recently, I forgot.:( We treat our dogs as our family. And yes, whenever I have issues or problems, they are quite great companions to have. For one, they just listen to me go on and on about anything. They don't judge my decisions and love me for who I am.

Whenever I cry, they cuddle up next to me and comfort me. They don't ask "Why?" They are just there to support me. And isn't that what we all need sometimes?

Of course, sometimes, you would need some advice or help. Pets cannot offer any of that. So don't disregard human support as well especially from people who truly care and love you. After all, why choose one when you can have both? Any type of support is better than no support at all.
  2. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

@Coolkidhere now if only we could get our loved ones or other humans to react the way our animals do. I feel like a lot of people could learn a thing or two from a loving animal. Most people want to fix the issue and that can lead to worse self-destruction and a bunch of depression. Whereas if people just removed the judgement factor recovery might be a bit easier.
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

There is no question that they are great therapy. As I type I am in the company of two of my four dogs. My cat died more than a year ago and I still shed tears for him from time to time.
  4. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

@Winterybella my childhood dog and brother passed away months apart from each other. There's a somewhat morbid, yet oddly comforting joke that we'll make from time to time. It goes like this:

I don't know who I miss more my brother or the dog...
    Winterybella likes this.