An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Animal Therapy

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I was watching a show the other day and it was about this guy who is terminally I'll with cancer. He was talking about his comfort dog that was shot by a police officer and how he was meeting with a shelter to get a new dog. His family said that he was very depressed and was done with life before getting the dog which ended up being his savior. I wonder if a comfort dog could also bring joy to someone who is recovering from addiction?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I never went to something specifically branded as animal therapy, but I'm convinced they are a help to people. I know when I was recovering, my dog was amazing. I guess it's that concept of the loyalty they have - plus I always had to get out and walk him every day and that in itself did wonders for my self esteem and health. Sounds small, but to me it was a major thing.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That could be possible. Having a pet can help someone feel relaxed and happy. Specifically dogs can show their love and care to their owners. That is why some dogs are sometimes assigned to those who are with special needs.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I believe taking care of pets and having them as your life companion could definitely help someone to recover. It is also a good way of boosting someone's self-confidence and their sense of responsibility improves.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Of course it can help, since it has been scientifically proven that pets can lower anxiety and can improve our overall mood, so for sure having a comfort dog will bring positive effects in the well being of a person or a recovering addict.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

a
    I am convinced a comfort dog can do just that. Is there such a thing as a comfort cat? Even though my cat is no longer with me in the flesh, he still comforts me at times and as for my dogs, I should probably call them the ' comfort crew". I think several other animals can bring comfort to many in ways humans can't. Some might say sad, but I know this to be very true.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  7. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Animal therapy does work! I have done it for my panic disorder and I had sick relatives who benefited from having an animal companion. Petting an animal can reduce your stress levels significantly! I think if you are in need of animal therapy, but do not want to keep a pet, foster one instead!
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I believe that a recovering addict would profit much from animal assisted therapy. It's not something that is hit or miss. It has been proven that animal therapy has lots of health benefits:

- As someone interacts with their dog, endorphins are released which makes them calmer.
    - Increase opportunities for social interaction. People love dogs and will strike up a conversation about your dog anytime.
    - As long as you've got a dog by your side you never will feel lonely.
    - You'll exercise more as you play with your pet. Exercise is great for recovering addicts.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think animals would help anybody struggling with any problem. Having somebody to take care of you needs you gives your life a purpose. It gives you something to get out of bed each morning for. When you are feeling not so strong a snuggle for your animal can make you feel all better. They are that one constant thing in your life. Animals are wonderful. I have two cats and I can not imagine my life without them. They are there for me when nobody else is.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

When I have the time, I volunteer at an animal sanctuary. I know how much it helps me, so I wholeheartedly say yes, animal therapy, whatever the form may be, can be highly beneficial. If one is unable to keep a pet or foster an animal, volunteering is a viable option. Plus you can put it on your resume - bonus!
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Animals, especially dogs are a definite comfort to a person that's recovering from an addiction. Not only is your pet company for you and will always be there for you, it can also take your mind off things. It gives you something else to think about and gives you something to look after, instead of just thinking about the addiction and yourself.
  12. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Pets definitely help with recovery. They're like your best friend. You can talk to them about anything and you can trust them.
  13. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

My cat is a great listener, he never tells my secrets. Cats and dogs have their own attributes but both fit in very well with modern human existence. I look forward to getting home to have a nice hour with the cat sat on me, whereas 10 years ago I used to look forward to getting home and having a drink. They reduce stress and can comfort humans in many ways. As for other animals, a friend of mine has a snake, it scares the willies out of me as we don't have too many snakes in England, but he loves to get home and interact with his snake for an hour, he says it relaxes him more than anything else. He's an ex-alcoholic too, in fact we met at AA back in 2008 and have been friends ever since.
  14. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

So I woke up this morning to loud screams of my next door neighbor's granddaughter. Brittany is is only about 14 years of age and naturally I got worried when I heard her wails. I discreetly went close by to investigate and found out that the reason for her utterance was due to the fact that she woke up to find her cat lifeless in the yard. I found it somewhat strange to see a youngster so attached to her pet in such a manner that have her unwilling to even go to school.

I had to intervene and I did the best that I could to console her.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The comfort dog. I like that. Yes they are really good therapy. Give you someone to take care of and are good company. I think it would be better to get a dog than go to a therapist if a couple was wanting couple's therapy. If a cute little buddy like that can't bring you back together. Who can?
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Definitely! Ever since I was a kid I was surrounded by dogs and I love them. You can play with them at anytime, they will love you without measure and even when you're feeling down they're there for you. Dogs can also feel when a person is sad or happy (at least that's what I noticed) so it's amazing to have such a smart animal around you. I love my 2 puppies right now!
  17. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Interesting I should see a response to this at this moment. Right now I am surrounded by my three small dogs. I was traveling recently and sometimes I think I might have stayed much longer had I not left my dogs behind. All I kept thinking is that I need them and they need me. I did not see this coming but there are often my greatest source of comfort except for a higher power and the wonderful people I have met here.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm much the same when I am away from my pets. We have a dog and a cat. and thankfully if we need to travel for any reason I have family nearby that love to petsit...so I know they are in good hands, but I always miss them so much! I honestly say that they are as much a part of the family as the human members are :)
    Winterybella likes this.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Animals, especially cats and dogs are often treated as part of the family and for a person going through recovery, they can be a great comfort.

Sometimes with an addiction, it's not easy to look outside your own needs and its all too easy to get caught up in your own problems. Having a cat or a dog, a pet that relies on you can help you come to terms with other aspects of your life that you may start to neglect if they wasn't there.
    Winterybella likes this.
  20. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

Research has shown that pets can reduce symptoms of stress, anxiety, depression, etc. In other words, being around animals has powerful positive effects on your body and mind. Even watching animals on a video was shown to provide the same results.