An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anti alcoholism vaccine

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 14, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It sounds very dubious to me, but in the end I always say "whatever works for you". I have a friend who couldn't give up smoking, no matter what she tried. She told me that her doctor gave her some kind of injection, and that it worked. She felt violently ill when she tried to smoke again after receiving the injection. It made her stop for good.
  3. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

I had a couple friends who took a pill that was supposed to make them sick if they drank. For one it worked, for the other it did not. I believe when it comes to drugs, it is all a matter of genetics and side effects.

But keep in mind.... treatment is a political arena. Do you REALLY think the alcohol industry that takes us so very much of our lives (from NFL to TV to magazines to parties) is going to allow the drug companies to cash in? We will soon see the industries battling back and forth with Congress trying to regulate/deregulate the other industry. I truly believe the medical industry has prolonged the creation of better cancer treatments for this reason---it is all about the money with them.
  4. CrimsonAdder

CrimsonAdder Member

I would recommend that anyone with an alcoholism problem waits for further reviewing of this vaccine, and for more reports of its effects. It's not wise to jump straight into a new supposedly miraculous cure, as this could have its fair share of side effects and may even harm you in the long term. I'm not saying you should use it or not use it, just to be patient and to adopt more traditional means of combating dependencies for a while more, such as 12-Step Support Groups (I made a post about them recently in the respective section of the forum, check it out!) until it is proved that this is indeed safe and effective!
  5. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

This is the first I'm hearing about this. Though I think it could potentially be useful for those who are pre-disposed to alcoholism I'm somewhat against unnecessary vaccination. I agree with others that I would be curious to see how this does over a long period of time and if there are any long-term side effects. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease with these new medications.
  6. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Okay, people have forgotten or are not aware that ethanol addiction is a self-induced and self-acted happening, its not going to be solved by creating a vaccine which may cause even more problems! I don't understand why so many humans revere "vaccines," yes it has helped a lot but it isn't the end all for preventing or curing every illness or disease humans experience, because the human immune system became the wonderful thing it is due to millions of years of being exposed to the most vile things that attempted harm, had harmed, and did caused the death of humans. Too many humans are looking for easy short-cuts to life-long problems, which is a sign that happens in every advanced stage of human cultures when such humans become docile and over privileged.

All of our ancestors before vaccines or medicines were ever created survived the most extreme of illnesses, diseases, problems, addictions, and everything living humans will face too, so scapegoating from your fears will only stave it off... for awhile. If humans truly wish to grow and evolve to higher entities of being, the answer will be inspired from within, not from external remedies.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've heard of this and other similar vaccines before and I don't know enough about science to speak about their merits but I sure do hope that eventually they find something effective because even though taking medicine to beat your addiction is not optimal, I'd say it's still good to have that option especially for those who are already out of options.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I think it's rather inhumane to make people take medications that make them seriously ill when they drink. Would you like it if someone put you on medication that made you throw up every time you had ice cream and cake?

What are the side effects to something like this? These drugs combined with alcohol could be wreaking more havok on you than doing any good. What if some dies from the increased stress these instant hangovers put on their bodies? What if these meds triggered lethal seizures in patients?
  9. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I do wonder about this. It sounds like it could be a drastic solution -- and though I would not like to not be able to eat ice cream or cake or drink ever again, I think if a person chooses this, s/he might have good reasons. However, I think what rehab offers that this doesn't is a process -- a sort of journey. Helping you figure out not only how to stop, but why you got hooked in the first place. I think vaccines would work as a choice for the person who has tried everything else, but I hope that people won't jump on it just as the easy way out and to avoid doing any kind of self-reflecting.
  10. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

The "vaccine" does not treat the symptoms of what caused the addiction in the first place. The addict will just find another way to get his fix, so maybe switching to harder drugs, gambling etc. I don't think it is a good idea.
  11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

It depends on how effective it is, but I honestly doubt how that might work. Also, personally, I think psychological therapies are more effective in treating addiction. More often than not, there are other underlying problems that's why a person turn to alcohol. Unless those are resolved, addiction can persist.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

First time to read about this kind of vaccine. I think it is a good idea since lots and lots of people are getting addicted to it. It will be a great thing if this vaccine will really exist and be effective to all types of human. :D
  13. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember reading anything in the article that said people were making alcoholics take get the vaccine. It is purely voluntary.

As a side note, this is just longer-lasting Antabuse. I'm surprised the article didn't mention Antabuse.
  14. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I'm highly skeptical of things like this. Alcoholism is very much a genetic disorder. Not in all cases, but certainly in many, I don't see quick fixes like this working. They don't tackle the underlying problems that cause people to turn to drinking.
  15. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I would consider anything if it meant helping someone beat an addiction. I'd have to know more about success rate, side effects etc.. If it had positive outcomes for those who had used it. I would have my husband in line for it. Even if I had to hold a shot gun on him the whole time:rolleyes:
  16. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I'll believe it when I see it. This would be a great concept and could be beneficial for alcoholics but I am very skeptical about this one. As someone else said, the alcoholic will probably turn to other things like pills to regain the high they are no longer getting from alcohol.
  17. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

You are probably right. After it's all said in done. Some people are just prone to bad habits. Easily addicted to forming bad habits. if they can curve their substance abuse, then they may pick up another bad habit like gambling.