An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anti-Anxiety/Depression

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by KaseyHopeMartin, Mar 26, 2016.

1. I know a big part of life in general is stress and anxiety. Lord knows I myself am a little ball of turbulent anxiety energy that whips around the house on a day to day basis like a ricocheting bullet in my hurry to get things done.

But for those who are trying to battle for sobriety, Anxiety and Stress and emotional distress can cause a relapse, or kick in one of those nasty evil withdrawals and cravings.

The recipe I'm about to give you is a little sachet that you carry with you (I personally have a fewWhi of them. I hang one in my closet, one in my night stand, one in my underwear drawer [don't judge me, it also keeps moths and fabric eating insects away], one in my purse, and one in my car) that you take a sniff of when you are feeling angry, excitable, anxiety, stress, depression, or any other emotion that causes discomfort.

The herbs inside of this pouch has actually been proven to trigger hormone responses in the brain once you have scented them.

Anti-Anxiety Sachet

Goal: To help alleviate stress, prevent anxiety attacks and ease depression. Carry a sachet with you, and when you feel negative emotions coming on, squeeze the bag, and smell it, breathing once or twice deeply in through your nose and out through your mouth.
    Ingredients: (This recipe is meant to be adjusted according to what works best for your particular olfactory senses, so you decide of how much you like!)
    Organza Bag
    Lavender
    Anise Star
    Peppermint
    Chamomile
    White Desert Sage
    Anise Seed
    Jasmine (optional)
    Method: Mix the herbs to your preference in the organza bag. For some, the scent of peppermint does a better job at calming them down than Lavender or Chamomile. For some the scent of the sage should be the strongest scent. Every persons olfactory senses are different, so you will need to fiddle and adjust until you find just the right scent to trigger your "calm down" senses.
    Getting a hold of ingredients: This part can be tricky, but my preferred sites are Monterrey Bay Spice Company of San Francisco Herbs and Natural Foods (sfherbs.com). If you have a homeopathic store near you, usually you can find these individual herbs there.​
    xTinx, bhu, MsLucy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Anxiety is a recurrent problem for me. Because of anxiety, I have lost 8 pounds weight in the last couple of weeks. My blood pressure also has increased because of anxiety. I want to try this recipe to see whether it works for me or not.
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I have tried pre-made teas before but haven't really tried mixing my own. I would love to do so though so thank you for sharing your recipes with us. I do have some anxiety when problems occur in my life. I tend to be overly anxious when I feel like I cannot control the situation at hand. Chamomile has definitely helped me before as well as lavender. I guess mixing them together might bring in more benefits. With the other ingredient though, I cannot say I've tried them.
  4. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Thanks for this formula. I like it. I see what that some of the ingredients are easy to find while others not so much. So, I will try the website you have mentioned as well to buy things I can't find locally.
  5. I just want to make sure you understand this isn't a tea, it's a sachet that you smell when you are feeling anxious. I don't think this would taste very good as a tea :p though I've never tried lol. None of the ingredients in there would be harmful if you did digest it.
  6. Oh my goodness that is not good at all. I do hope it works for you, and just remember you'll have to mess with it until you figure out which scent works for you. Some people calm down easier to a stronger scent of lavender, some to the peppermint smell.

I do hope you get to feeling better, Rising BP can be dangerous. if you ever need someone to vent to about your anxiety feel free to give me a message in my inbox!
  7. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

I actually fill bowls around my home with some of these things ! They help me cope with anxiety a lot. Peppermint helps me because it reminds me of my grandmother. She was always a comforting person to me. As soon as I smell peppermint it's an instant feel better thing for me. I will have to try the sachet when I'm around crowds. That's where a lot of my anxiety happens.
  8. sclupto

sclupto Member

Interestingly, the sense of smell is the one most greatly tied to memory and emotion. If you can find a smell that brings you back to a happy time, it can be much stronger than a visual cue or anything else. The scent of plums always snaps me out of what I am doing and takes me back to Christmas when I was a kid.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely find lavender a calming scent myself, and often have it in a diffuser because I enjoy the scent around my home! It's nice just having something you know soothes and relaxes you!
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Thank you again for posting this anti-depression recipe, I do not live near a herbs store so I won't be able to try it out, but I badly need one of these to calm me when I'm angry!
  11. Jani_pikki

Jani_pikki Member

@serenity... When you can and if you get the chance to visit a garden center, you should buy the herbs and plant them in your garden. You can also let it grow indoors in nice pots. Its much cheaper, you feel good about taking care of them and see them grow, keeps you busy and you will always have them when you need them. I find it very helpful, planting and taking care of my plants and herbs, its very therapeutic.
    serenity likes this.
  12. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

Thank you so much for writing this post. I'm struggle with getting sober, & being stressed often is a big reason for my drug usage.
  13. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I get triggered easily and luckily I got over my alcohol cravings by just drinking a lot of water and taking my vitamins. I find that when I have my vitamins my body is not craving bad food or the liquor. I try to get healthy on the whole level and not just by addressing this need.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Thank you for the suggestion, I will do what you suggested when I happen to be in a herbs store. I hope they are relatively cheap and not that expensive so I can buy different kinds. :D
    Jani_pikki likes this.
  15. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Awesome sachet recipe, @KaseyHopeMartin! Like @Theboysmom04, peppermint reminds me of my grandmother. She kept dishes of peppermint candy on her pantry counter. Maybe that's how she dealt with the stress of raising four kids on her own while my grandfather traveled. I also like lavender and peppermint oils in a base/carrier oil in a little roller bottle to put on my pulse points when the tension escalates. Rose oil helps me, too, especially since I'm also going through the change of life. Put those three together and it's a winning combination! Thanks for sharing. Have a terrific weekend.
  16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Interesting method, and I really liked the eating insects away part. I will definetly try it, there's nothing better than a natural and nice way to keep yourself relaxed.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This is a very extensive and comprehensive concoction and it seems like the ingredients aren't too expensive or rare to acquire. I am more than willing to give this herbal blend a try. I usually limit myself to decaffeinated flower teas - Jasmine, Chamomile and Lavender - for relaxation and detox purposes. This mix is something new to me and it's worth finding out whether it'll work for me without any side effects.