An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anti-depressants

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by sunflogun, Jun 9, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I've seen this magazine cover and I think it sums it up pretty well what I think, it's the reality! When will the authorities do something about it?

[​IMG]
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Authorities can't do anything about it.

Pharmaceutical companies have done all their can to have people battling depression believe that anti-depressants are the answer to their problem.

Many people who've had the meds prescribed to them use them for years [some up to 15 years] and they are still stuck with depression. So what's the point in taking something which gives you false hope that you are getting better only to find out it doesn't actually work but can't stop taking it because you are hooked?

Making and selling anti-depressants is the greatest scam that ever was or will ever be.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Time magazine have a knack for putting some truly frightening covers. Unfortunately this is absolutely true and a difficult addiction to overturn. I've suffered from depression issues myself, and I'm generally a positive person. A few bad decisions and lifestyle choices brought me to this point. Luckily I'm surrounded by loving people that have helped me immensely. But that's not everyone and it's easy to fall for the trap of anti-depressants.
  4. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

5. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I'm on an SSRI. A very low dose and low side effect one. (Celexa 10)
    I've at some point or another tried every single one and it's been a grueling journey. The side effects far outweighed any benefit. The withdrawals while coming off or switching made me WISH I was dead. Especially Effexor. Brain zaps were horrendous.
    I have pretty much accepted taking a low dose is going to have to do for now but I'd love to be pill free someday.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That Time Magazine cover is really legit. Seriously, you don't know whether antidepressants should be considered a positive thing or a negative thing. But yeah, people should never abuse anything too much. Sometimes, no one is to be blamed but ourselves.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In recent years it seems like more and more people are suffering from depression, doctors seem to be diagnosing it more than ever, and prescribing these tablets as some sort if miracle cure.

It does make you wonder why there's been a sudden increase in depression, and if it's proven that these drugs don't work, then why are they still on the market?
  8. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Any SSRI or SSNI drug is going to give most people severe sexual dysfunction, in rare cases, permanent. I read in a John Hopkins university note that about 70% of people get that side effect, which is vastly underreported.

about 10% of people get nightmares.

Some people get akathisia, which is very uncomfortable. This may be the reason suicide risk goes up for people who start these drugs.

I got severe mania from antidepressants, as well as nightmares and sexual dysfunction. The mania ended my career. Federal judges have lost their careers due to mania caused by antidepressants. I have nothing good to say about antidepressants or most any other psychiatric drugs. When you look into non-biased sources (not on the dole from big pharma) you will find the drugs are far less effective and the side effects are worse than the public believes. Even groups like NAMI are starting to change, slowly, starting to recognize the damage the drugs can do (they get most of their money from big pharma though) There are a lot of psychiatrists blogging about how disgusted they are with "modern" psychiatry.
  9. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

There are many side affects from taking anti depressants. I have been on many. Loads in fact.
    I have been on..
    Quetiapine, Promethazine, Bupropien, Fluoxetine, Zoplicone, Clonazepam, Topiramite, Temazepam.
    Still on 3 of them. Been on them for over 3 years now and im 19. (Some are sleep/anxiety and anti depressants)
    Some side affects, you can feel worse, make you suicidal, gain or lose weight, problems sleeping or going to sleep. But best to look them up on the website and go to doc to find out more.
  10. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It depends on the specific medication. All meds have some potential ones. The problem is authorities as you call them will only act IF it effects their bottom line. Remember, we live in a society where sick people is business. So since they gain fiscal benefit from it, we know they won't do anything about it.
  11. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Remedy for depression lies in spirituality not in medical.

Humans take birth on earth plane to settle his/her give-and-take account with others and to exhaust his/her destiny or undergo his/her merits and demerits.

65% of incidents in our life happens as per our destiny and 35% we have free will as per present times. We can use the free will which God have given us to do spiritual practice to overcome our harsh destiny and God's grace and help.

If you only have interest in worldly life you will trap in this great illusion for many births to come.
    You have to progress in both worldly and spiritually, then only you can lead a happy and peaceful life.

Almost 100% of population is affected by negative energies except some evolved saints. They control our mind and intelligence.

You can get out of your depression if you include spirituality into your life.

Include spirituality into your life and lead life as per spirituality to be a happy and content human now.

People need to truly start looking within for depression help rather thant thinking some magic pill is going to make things all better.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It's sad that these anti-depressants don't really improve people's lives and instead they make it worse. No wonder people turn to other methods of being cured, like herbal remedies which seem to be effective, because synthetic pills will just harm your body. I read there are herbs that can help with depression, so people should just try that instead.
  13. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

First off, let me just say nobody paints a picture like TIME magazine. But truth be told, a big part of the problem is that depression is diagnosed WAY too easily. Haven't you all noticed how even the slightest bit of sadness or melancholy falls under the "depression" banner for doctors? Instead of genuinly finding a way around our issues we go to a doctor and hope for anti depressants. Even worse, it gets prescribed to kids as early as 12 years old.
  14. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Some doctors get a commission for recommending a certain medication and I feel as a psychologist that I would do anything else before I prescribe anti depressants. They work for someone who has been through a traumatic experience and genuinely cannot cope with life but it is a temporary thing that needs to be rid of as long term side effects of anti depressants aggravates depression. For some people depression was not even the case, it was more boredom and loneliness that could be changed with a change in lifestyle and diet.
  15. sunflogun

Pretty much like you say tasha, everything is rotten in this medical community and a big change need to be made because it's our health at stake and there is nothing more important than that.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think the person using it has the power to control the use of it. Just like other medicines in the market especially those that are over the counter. Although some of those medicines might be really made to make someone crave or depend on it.
  17. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Yes very true, we are in charge of our own destiny and at times doctors might be prescribing something to make you feel stronger but in the interim it makes you weak. Medical advice is good and I am not saying doctors don't do their jobs but sometimes they are just far too quick to dish out medication and yes they do get commission or discounts for their prescription
  18. sunflogun

I believe that some doctors might feel disappointed with the situation because they have a calling to help people, but to many others it's just a job and they are a part of the system.
  19. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I had to take anti-depressant medication at one stage of my life and those drugs are strong. I could even hear bubbling in my head. It was strange. I think this medication is very dangerous and weaned myself off of it as soon as I possibly could.
  20. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I personally don't take antidepressants.
    I just try to avoid taking tablets and pills overall.
    I think taking antidepressants probably work for some people but I just don't want to take the risk.
    I prefer doing natural and practical things in order to remain free of depression.

Reading books and sharing jokes are just some of the few things.