An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anti-depressants

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by sunflogun, Jun 9, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I think that is wise from you pink. At the same time there are thousands who simply rely on what doctors tell them and many times doctors have hidden interests.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I used them for a while... I used Amitrptiline, boy did I gain weight on it! Doctors should really be more careful when prescribing this kind of things! I went off it cold turkey because I knew I had to do that in order to drop the freaking weight. Be careful guys, sometimes doctors don't really know what they are prescribing. So be careful! To think I started taking them once I found out the truth about my then ex.
  3. sunflogun

Yes, we all face issues in life, but this doesn't mean we should be running to a pill. In the long run as you experienced it Tremmie, it's really something that makes the situation even worse.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I am not a fan of tablets or medication, herbal or anything else. I always try to find ways to help patients without the use of medication. Anti depressants do one thing...supress the brain and that is not what you need long term. It is important to feel, to laugh, to cry and there are ways to make you feel good and lift your spirits without the use of drugs.
  5. sunflogun

I don't see herbal and other food supplements as medicines or drugs, they are just a complement to what is lacking in our bodies and can make the whole difference to balance them back.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Authorities. Lol you are making me laugh. I don't think the police care about things like this. I am pretty sure the only way to organize a civil case against the pharmaceutical companies that are making these drugs. I heard there are a ton of cases against the company that makes seroquel. I think it's Eli Lilly. People actually need to go together a do a class action against each one that has caused damage.
    The authorities and anyone like you are saying worry more about what they have on hand to deal with. Prescriptions are legal. They deal with the illegal. I'm pretty sure that giving people suicidal thoughts, knowingly, is premeditated murder. Lol but they let these companies fudge the trial results to get the drugs passed by the FDA. Can you imagine? These people are just criminals.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Anti-depressants can be dangerous, they have a profound effect on the nervous system and chemical levels in the brain. Many people find the side effects and ironically, they also cause some people to have negative thoughts or messed up thinking patterns. The positive effects of antidepressants have been largely shown to be a result of the placebo effect. Additionally, it seems silly that a doctor would give a prescription to a depressed person to get enough tablets to be able to kill them almost instantly when they are already depressed.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I might be the minority here, but I really think that demonizing anti depressants isn't a good thing - because I fully believe some people really need them to function. I do think that sometimes they're overprescribed, and sometimes they're also seen as a first option without exploring other things. But I've known quite a few people that I think would very literally not be with us now if they didn't have the help of anti depressants. Just my two cents!
  9. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Fоr bеttеr оr wоrsе, оnе оf thе primаry trеаtmеnts оf сliniсаl dеprеssiоn — аntidеprеssаnts — соmе with а hоst оf nеgаtivе sidе еffесts. Fоr sоmе pеоplе, thеsе sidе еffесts will bе tеmpоrаry аnd will gо аwаy оn thеir оwn (оr аt lеаst bе rеduсеd in intеnsity аs yоur bоdy ассlimаtеs tо thе mеdiсаtiоn). Fоr оthеrs, thе sidе еffесts mаy nоt gо аwаy аnd, in fасt, mаy bесоmе intоlеrаblе.

Sidе еffесts аrе а nоrmаl pаrt оf tаking virtuаlly аny prеsсriptiоn mеdiсаtiоn. Аlthоugh thе drugs аrе intеndеd tо trеаt thе spесifiс соnditiоn — in this саsе, dеprеssiоn — thеy аlsо саusе unwаntеd physiсаl symptоms thаt аrе usuаlly аn аnnоyаnсе.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think anti-depressants are overly prescribed as well. I do know that they can be helpful to some people and these people don't get addicted to them. But of course, a person with a history of an addictive personality plus a mental condition = a risk for addiction for anti-depressant pills.

And I think more physicians need to take that into account when prescribing this. It's important to get to know their patients instead of just prescribing and prescribing this and that and then letting the patient be on their way.

For instance, a checkup must at least be fifteen minutes. But I've been with doctors who prescribe me a medicine and let me be in my way, that's about 5 minutes. They don't even ask about my history and all that things.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Anti-depressants create a feeling of dependency. They give patients nothing more but temporary relief. However, they cannot cure or reduce depression. Depressed people do not seem to understand this fact, unfortunately. For them, not feeling a single bit of sadness and emptiness is what matters - the method be damned. Anti-depressants should be regulated rather than sold over the counter.
  12. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Problem is not with the pharmaceuticals and doctors who prescribe drugs. Problem is with the people who try to take refuge in these drugs. Government cannot do anything. Banning these anti-depressant will create health problems for many people who are using it to cure depression.
  13. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I really do think that it will lead to so many more health problems down the line. Look at the rise in autism! We didn't even think to look into birth control because it was commonly prescribed. Now there is an increase in diseases like ALS, Parkinsons and Dementia. I am sure that they are all linked somehow.
  14. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The side effects of anti depressants are really dangerous. I'm sure there are natural cures that can replace these prescriptions. A lot of times peoples diet can cause fatigue which leads to unknown stress. The anti depressants can
    make a person worse off after a while. I think investing time in holistic options is never a waist.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, that's a really powerful picture and I hope that this wakes people up... If you think about it there are a lot of 'socially acceptable' addicts, specially people who are using pills for a lot of things such as sleeping pills, anti depressants, etc. all of them cause addiction, and all of them are dangerous.
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I do agree that they can be helpful and that they do indeed help certain people who are using them legitimately for genuine reasons. One of the problems, I think, is that so many drug users are tempted by them. They think they can go taking substances like Speed and Ecstasy and then when they feel the effects (i.e. depression, anxiety, etc) they think they can just go to the doctors and get some antidepressants to sort it out... then go on a binge again once they feel they've recovered. I've known quite a lot of drug users to do this.
  17. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Аntidеprеssаnts саn’t mаkе yоu fоrgеt yоur prоblеms, but thеy mаy mаkе it еаsiеr fоr yоu tо dеаl with thеm. Bеing dеprеssеd саn distоrt yоur pеrсеptiоn оf yоur prоblеms аnd sаp yоu оf thе еnеrgy tо аddrеss diffiсult issuеs. Mаny thеrаpists rеpоrt thаt whеn thеir pаtiеnts tаkе аntidеprеssаnts, it hеlps thеm mаkе mоrе prоgrеss in psyсhоthеrаpy
  18. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Some people do need anti depressants for life and death situations and this is why doctors prescribe these meds but it is knowing when to let them go that is the problem and many people tend to continue to rely on these pills which can alternately lead to heavier medications and then to drugs as the kick that they are getting is not felt anymore.
  19. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

In my opinion all anti-depressants do is put the person in a vegetative mindset. That way they neither feel or show pain. As soon as the effects wear off though, there can be health side effects.