An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anti smoking campaign in school

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by royjustin68, Oct 9, 2019.

1. royjustin68

royjustin68 Member

Hi, I am looking for some suggestions. I am Justin, I study in Cestar high school, Toronto. As a part of the students club initiative, we are organizing an anti-smoking campaign in our school.
    We have noticed, many of our friends getting into these addictive habits, and we would like to help them before it gets difficult.
    It would be great if someone can suggest some ideas that we can consider giving awareness to the students.
    For most of them, it will be difficult to come forward and make a move. We do not want to pick them up individually either, as it might make them feel bad about themselves. Hence, at first, we would like to provide an awareness program in common for all the students. It would great if someone can share your views on it and suggest a few activities we can include in the campaign. Thank you.
    Joshstillclean and True concern like this.
  2. True concern

True concern Moderator

Wow,NEVER really thought about it that deep but I understand the importance and see daily here in the U.S.how gaping is taking lives faster than cigarette's and no body ever thought that would be possible,can you clarify are you talking about all forms of nicotine dependence or just a certain kind i.e.dipping,smoking,vaping,etc thank you in advance what you are doing is honorable and deserves to be recognized as such.

You can only fail if you allow yourself too,you may stumble but reach out and there will be someone there reaching back.
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  3. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

Well, the Marlboro man is a good start. He has some videos that I'm sure would be easy to find on YouTube. And he was the man-smoking it up all his life.
    Then he got cancer and went the opposite direction and made commercials telling kids to stop look at what it did to him. He even expressed regret for those ads he made.
    And then like me- I dip- I tried patches and stuff and to no avail. I get no pleasure from nicotine. NONE!
    It is just a bill and an inconvenient habit. And its disgusting!
    I quit dipping when I had a GF. And if ibwere to get one now I guarantee I would swap back to patches.
    But its horrible. Makes you depressed without it, angry, snap at your loved ones for no reason, can't sleep.
    All for nothing. Go blow 5 bucks for a can or a pack of smokes to kill u a little more and you feel better for a while. Never ending cycle.
    And it leads to other stuff as well. Its a mentality. If your willing to try this poison what's to stop u from trying another. And then another.
    If u never try the first poison you'll never end up a heroin addict like I was a couple years ago.
    True concern likes this.
  4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

It is an indisputable fact, nicotine (smoking) is the # 1 cause of death of any addictive substance, but presenting this fact for effective heighten awareness to those who are prone to addiction can be difficult due to predisposition of denial. My experience has been, giving advice, telling others what to do, who are in denial, including via recorded testimony isn’t very effective. I work in the educational system K through 12 and it’s also indisputable, that the most effective way to teach, is in first person singular from those who are in recovery, especially someone from the peer group.

The use of first person is a privilege, it connotes a truth, an intimacy, an authentic perspective, and thus a power unlike any other. It is innately personal, in some instances confessional. These characteristics help establish a personal connection with others.
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.