An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anti-smoking Campaigns

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by gracer, Mar 5, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I just watched in our local news that a new anti-smoking campaign is now going to be implemented in my part of the world. Our Department of Health is now requiring cigarette manufacturers to include unsightly pictures of diseases that can be acquired from smoking. The pictures look really gross so I don't know how a regular person who's not used to the site of these pictures would react.

It may be a good way of discouraging smokers from buying but the results are still yet to be know once the new cigarette packaging would come out.

What do you think about this kind of anti-smoking campaign? What are the measures being done in your area to alleviate smoking?
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

These sort of campaigns have been already implemented in some countries, I don't know what the result has been whether it has been effective or not. The regular anti-smoking messages that they have put onto cigarette packets haven't had much of an impact.
    gracer likes this.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm very glad to read this, I hope seeing those images will make my fiance question this horrible vice of his twice. I don't think it might actually work for everyone, though, but maybe those images have an impact on the subconscious mind? You never know. I still think doing this is better than doing nothing!
    gracer likes this.
  4. gracer

I also think that the regular anti-smoking campaigns before haven't caused that much of an impact that's why authorities are now resorting to scare tactics in promoting smoking cessation. I just hope that it would work this time though. I still don't know what else people could think of to prevent smoking if this kind of campaign still won't work.
  5. blenly

blenly Member

I had these kind of picture on the packets back in the UK and the same here in Spain. To be honest it did nothing for me to help me quit.

The pictures I remember were:
    • A picture of two lungs, one normal and one blacked from smoking
    • A picture of a man with a massive throat tumour
    • A picture of a cigarette in an ashtray saying "Smoking Kills"
    To be honest this didn't have any impact on me. Realistically I just took the cigarette packet from my pocket, put and cigarette in my mouth and lit it without ever actually looking at the packet. I personally don't think these campaigns have been that successful.
  6. Joethefirst

There are these cigarette covers made in cardboard designed to cover the messages on cigarette packets. i don't doubt that when they started this campaign they became very popular.
  7. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I don't believe that this campaign will have a significantly greater level of effectiveness over that of previous campaigns. There has been some previous advertisement of this type in the visual media, which have shown some graphic details of the various types of critical surgeries people have undergone to survive because of the negative effects of cigarette smoking, so the advertisement on the cartons will be nothing new.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is nice to know that they are now implementing those kind of campaigns against smoking. Maybe it could affect but there will still smokers who will just do not mind those photos and continue smoking.
  9. blenly

blenly Member

To be honest I don't even believe that they are needed. Many people, like I me when I smoked, just don't pay attention. And even the people that brought up the picture being disgusting went on to ignore them too - and continued to smoke.

Another thing they did in the UK is start to cover up the cigarettes in shops. Shop owners couldn't have tobacco products on display. But that didn't do anything either. People still know where they are and where to buy them.
    gracer likes this.
  10. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Its strange how cigarette companies are now telling you right on their product that that product is killing you. I doubt many people will stop smoking just because they are going to see pictures of something they've probably seen millions of times before. Its a step forward in the anti smoking campaign, but I wouldn't consider it a giant leap. What some people fail to realize is that the majority of smokers know exactly what they're getting into and they know the negative effects.
    gracer likes this.
  11. Joethefirst

I agree, I think this is just over kill, most people that smoke know that it's bad for them it's probably helps prevent people starting if that.
    gracer likes this.
  12. remnant

remnant Community Champion

It is commendable method to discourage smoking. I tend to imagine that they are more effective in discouraging would be and new smokers. Most seasoned smokers already know the health hazards of smoking and the graphic images on the packs just confirm what they already know.
    gracer likes this.
  13. remnant

remnant Community Champion

It is commendable method to discourage smoking. I tend to imagine that they are more effective in discouraging would be and new smokers. Most seasoned smokers already know the health hazards of smoking and the graphic images on the packs just confirm what they already know. They tend on ameliorating their immediate cravings at the expense of seemingly futuristic health dangers.
  14. Min

Min Active Contributor

I know for a fact that as I was cutting back on smoking - before I completely quit - advertising played a large part in helping cut back more and more. There were other factors as well, but I know that often when I was in my home and reaching for a cigarette one of those ads would come on where the man was breathing through a tube, or the girl was crying about the loss of her mother. And I would pull my hand back and think "nah ... I'll wait". If the picture was right on the pack - yes. I know I would have thought twice about buying one. I mean ... call it what it is. A health hazard.
    gracer likes this.
  15. Joethefirst

If it worked to get just one smoker off cigarettes then it was worth while. Sometimes you just need that extra push and I'm glad to hear that it worked for you.
    Min and gracer like this.
  16. blenly

blenly Member

The problem is we know there are these effects, but we know that it will not happen overnight. For example, if you see a picture of a man with a massive smoking-related throat tumour, you will think well it wouldn't happen to me or I'd stop before I get that bad. Long term effects don't seem as scary as they should be unfortunately. Or at least that was my experience.

The one anti-smoking campaign that has actually had an effect on me was a television advert in the UK. It showed a mother smoking in her house with her small baby in the same room. The smoke took the form of a snake and started wrapping itself around the babies neck.
    gracer and SashaS like this.
  17. gracer

There are actually different reactions from smokers I know regarding this recent anti-smoking campaign. While some see it as an opportunity to finally quit smoking, some really don't believe that it will work well to stop them from buying cigarettes. One person told me that he would buy the cigarette and just throw the box immediately because he will transfer the sticks to his cigarette container. So I guess the smokers who really don't plan on quitting just yet would do every means to continue their vice.
  18. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

I'm already well aware of how dangerous my smoking addiction is. When I watch an anti smoking ad it only makes me crave a cigarette more. What is causing me to want to stop are my own health issues. I see a lot of people not much older than me walking around with oxygen tanks and I don't want to be that person. Telling me I shouldn't do something just makes me want it more.
    gracer likes this.
  19. gracer

My aunt also did carry an oxygen tank with her during her last years. She had been smoking almost all her life and the oxygen tank was the sign that she was already suffering from the complications of her long years of smoking. I really couldn't help but feel sorry for her when I saw her finally succumb to a respiratory illness because she was my closest aunt. It's been several years since she died now but her memories are still fresh in our minds and there are still times when our family couldn't help but miss her.
  20. Mara

Mara Community Champion

We've used that kind of tactic here before in my country. There are even warning labels on the cigarettes like, Smoking Kills, Smoking is Dangerous to Your Health, Smoking Causes Cancer, etc. And yeah, there are even some gross pictures of scarred and unhealthy lungs. But some people just ignore those warnings and continue to smoke.