An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anti-smoking Campaigns

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by gracer, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The best way to stop smoking is prevention, shock tactics normally don't work and explaining the benefits of not smoking normally has more success then simple trying to scare someone into quitting.
    gracer likes this.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

You're right about that. And besides, if people want to quit smoking, they would do so because they want to be healthy not because they were grossed out by pictures of unhealthy lungs.

And if those cigarette manufacturers are really concerned with the well being of their consumers, all they have to do is stop producing them. Then there would be no need to warn people of the dangers of smoking.
    gracer likes this.
  3. Joethefirst

Scare tactics have been used for a very long time and they haven't had the desired effects, the only thing that has made a real dent has been the increase of tobacco prices.
    Mara likes this.
  4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I'm against these types of campaigns. Not only do they set a precedent that I hope we don't have to go through with every other thing out there that will kill you, but they're just flat out offensive and disgusting. Even for the few years at a time when I quit smoking, I hated seeing these ads. Seriously, if I'm having some dinner or lunch in front of the TV or out at a restaurant/bar, the last thing I want to see are some graphic disgusting images of people with cancer.

How would you like it if you had to sit through graphic images of naked morbidly obese people getting gastric bypass before every commercial for ice cream, cookies, candy and potato chips? This type of guerilla lobbying against smokers is getting out of hand, and it doesn't speak much for them to be mimicking the same shady tactics used by anti-abortionists, such as driving around with large billboards of aborted fetuses.
    Mara and gracer like this.
  5. mistermiranda

mistermiranda Member

I don't have any quantitative data, but based on anecdotes, I see these campaigns influencing people to continue to smoke just to resist the anti-smoking campaigns. Where I live, the smoking age was raised to 21 on Jan. 1, and we already implemented a 20-foot buffer zone from public doorways and windows. Smokers see this as an assault on them, and are continuing to smoke, ignoring that the policy changes are to get them to quit. It's almost like it has morphed into a push-them-away-from-us campaign instead of a smoking cessation effort.
  6. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I don't see this campaigns working at all, of all the people I know, not a single one has attributed it to these campaigns. Maybe the gross pictures of lungs in the back of the package works at a subconscious level, I haven't heard of any studies on that topic, but its possibility, although I tend to think the whole campaign is mostly the cigarettes manufacturers giving something away not to be bothered, so people think something is being done about the issue.
  7. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I like the idea of it. It's definitely a good start to get smokers thinking of the consequences. Having these pictures on the package is a good constant reminder of the negative health effects of cigarettes.
  8. Joethefirst

I don't think the anti-tobacco campaigns have worked on the smokers as much as they have on non smokers. Prevention is better then a cure.
  9. Teresa Smith

Teresa Smith Member

The state of Georgia actually has a hotline that you can call for assistance. I called them and I was assigned a quit-coach but I have still been unable to quit. I still have almost a full box of patches. I stare at them and I would like to use them but I just haven't been able to yet. :(
  10. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

You totally blew my mind with that comment, I've never really thought of it like that.
  11. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

People protesting against cigarettes. Those people must not have a life. Why would you waste your time trying to convince someone who made a choice? People choose to smoke. I do not think people should outcast smokers because they made their choice. Cigarettes are not the only thing that kill you. They should protest that. I hate the anti-drug people who protest against drug use. I also hate trends because I feel that most people are so stupid that they can not see the underlining truth. You are going to die no matter what you do.
  12. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Well, there many anti-smoking campaigns already launched in my area but there are no effects of the threats revealed by them. I know it sounds weird but the addicted people don't care about their health as they are already brainwashed by the pleasure of cigars. Well, these type of campaigns should be launched on a large scale. It is not that all the campaigns have been unsuccessful but only some of them are successful.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Wow that may really lower there sales. I think they might not go along with this one. The cigarette manufactures may just stop distributing them to that part of the world all together. No one is going to buy something with pictures of diseases warning them not to.
  14. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I don't know, warnings have been printed on cigarettes for decades and no one has ever paid much attention to it. I guess if it helps people not start smoking that's a good thing, but the way most cigarettes are displayed behind a wall in stores most places now, I don't think non-smokers would even be seeing these images much? I think education about the nature of addiction and recovery would be much more helpful than scare tactics in getting smokers to quit.
  15. Dilof

Dilof Member

They are already on cigarette packs in the UK and do absolutely nothing. The day to day smoker believes that this kind of stuff can never happen to them, so it's entirely useless to even try scaring them in to stopping, alternatives need to be suggested.

The scariest ad I've ever seen about smoking though was this:
  16. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I don't think these campaigns have made any significant reduction in young people trying cigarettes. It certainly doesn't make smokers want to quit either because they are already addicted to nicotine. I think the only way to keep people from smoking is to stop producing cigs all together. Prohibition style.
  17. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

In Canada where I live these campaigns have been put up everywhere on cigarette packets. There has definitely been a decrease in smoking, so these campaigns are definitely effective.
  18. Joethefirst

All you have to do is take that first step. Have you read Allen Carr's "Easy way to quit smoking", if you look on YouTube you can find the video and the audio book. It's a real game changer.
  19. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Actually, I can't lie... I find the anti-smoking campaigns in my state of Oklahoma to be ridiculous. There's one they keep showing of a group of kids about 5 years old sitting at a table that's covered in piles of tobacco products, like flavored cigars and cans of snus. The kids are playing with them thinking they're candy asking if they can have some. Then a narrator says, "who do you think tobacco companies are targeting?"

I can't help but think... Obviously, not children or they'd know what the hell they're playing with! They think it's candy!
  20. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

They don't do nothing because they either don't care enough or they don't have the funds/help necessary to do something about in a good scale, I'd recommend people not going to these kind of campaigns unless they are highly commited to these themselves.