An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anti-Vaxxers vs. Pro - What Side Are You On? @TheDailyShow

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by rabst, Feb 3, 2015.

1. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

Many parents (typified as "liberals") choose NOT to have doctors give them vaccinations (which are designed to make them immune to various viral diseases like measles).

And that would seem "silly" to me, if I still thought that a vaccine was a 'miracle-drug cure' for the disease. But it's not that simple, though pro-vaxxers try to tell you it is ... that's the same reason I almost became an atheist---because Christians try to tell you that salvation's a simple thing--that you "go to Heaven" if you follow the church-rules, and "go to hell" if you don't--but it's not that simple.

See, 'what pro-vaxxers don't tell people' (or--if they do tell--what they don't 'dwell on') is that most vaccines--I'm gonna research this to make sure I'm not just telling you some 'masterful fiction' I dream up--infect the children with (a weakened form of) the very virus they're trying to become immune to!

Jon Stewart on The Daily Show said something about vaccines that is equally true of religion---"it doesn't work unless everybody 'believes'!" (he said everybody has to do something more like "vaccinate," but that's not the point---which was that 'it's "everybody in spaceship" or the airlock won't work for anybody!)

What are your thoughts on this debate?
  2. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

There is no debate here, vaccines work. The numbers prove that. Herd immunity has helped for a long time, but if more people refuse to educate and vaccinate appropriately, it will not continue to be as such. Absolutely disgusting that people risk not only their own safety but that of others for the sake of their ignorance.
  3. Personally, I'm very pro-vaccine. Vaccines work and have eradicated many major diseases that have plagued our species for years. Measles were almost unheard of in the United States in the past thirty years due to vaccines. Yes, they do inject your body with a weakened form of the virus, but that provokes an immune response that helps keep people healthy and safe.

I understand people feeling like they want to do everything to protect their child, but not vaccinating your kids can lead to consequences not only for your child but for many other children who cannot be vaccinated (like cancer patients with weakened immune systems).
  4. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I'm very pro-vaccine myself - they obviously work, and have done for years and years. That said, I do think it should be a parents choice.
  5. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

Except that it's the children at risk if the parents "choose" to be uneducated and not listen to medical advice. And even if we go with that argument, sure, their choice- but then they should choose to be somewhere where their choice can't hurt or even kill anyone else. There are children too young to get vaccinated, children (and adults) too immunocomproimsed or otherwise sick to get vaccines as well, who don't deserve to be put at risk for the sake of "choice".
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think the vaccine could work and also, it will be good to see what happens in more research as some parents have different views and if a school did a vaccine the parents would not thank them but sue them for doing it. I think vaccines are good, have worked well in the country I live in and also it has worked well and helped treat children from diseases as well. There is a small chance it could go bad in some people but that is a small percent and also I hope it does not cause more people to ignore the medical help they get.
  7. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Science, and a lot of it, says that vaccines work. Where's polio right now? It's not infecting that many Americans. I've never caught measles or anything else I've been vaccinated against either. California is trying to implement a law that removes the personal and religious beliefs clause that lets parents opt their children out of vaccination requirements before entering schools. I'm all for personal freedom, but the benefits of vaccines far outweigh the negatives, so I find it hard to argue against such a law.

Vaccines have repeatedly been proven to NOT cause autism, and they sure as heck don't cause the illnesses they protect people against. There are potential side effects, but, once again, the average person won't deal with any adverse side effects other than maybe some temporary redness.
  8. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I am pro informed consent. Parents should have access to information about vaccines and their reported side effects. They should have the option to delay vaccination or opt out of some that they feel are not necessary for their child at this time.

My personal choice, if I had children, would be to delay vaccination for the lower risk diseases so that my child's body could be more developed before having to deal with the vaccine. While I do not think that vaccines are the only cause of autism, I do believe they play a factor, so I would want to wait on as many vaccines as I felt was safe enough to wait on until my child was old enough to be out of danger of developing autism.

Vaccines are not a guarantee of immunity after all, they significantly reduce the risk, so they are good when used responsibly. But over vaccinating a child too young really is not a wise choice in my opinion.
  9. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I'm on the side of science, not on the side of people who blow anecdotes of correlation out of proportions.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Couldn't agree more. What on earth makes people think that they are justified in opting out of vaccination programmes. Scaremongering at it's best.