An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anxiety and depression eating at me.

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Anonymous2001, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Anonymous2001

Anonymous2001 Member

Well, since I started using marijuana i feel it is the only thing that makes me happy now. I am always depressed unless i am high. I am always anxious when i am not high. I had anxiety and depression before use, but now it has gotten so much worse. I have suicidal thoughts, though i would never take my own life. I think about bad thoughts and it makes me sick.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Anonymous2001 marijuana can be quite addictive... i'm sorry you are struggling so much when you are sober... seems as if your body and mind have gotten used to the feelings that pot gives... so it makes it harder to manage life without it.

this happened to an old friend of mine... she would smoke from the time she got up till she went to bed. over time, it really started messing with her. the high she used to get wouldn't feel as good. she'd smoke more, but still less and less... finally, she sort of had an emotional breakdown and realized she needed to get off it completely. it wasn't easy for her... but she went to counseling and eventually quit. she deals with her anxiety now by meditation, counseling, and music.

i hope you can get some help for the anxiety and depression... and, you mentioned suicidal thoughts, so wanted to leave you with the number for suicide prevention hotline. Give them a call.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

1-800-273-8255

http://chat.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx
  3. AGTKicking

AGTKicking Member

Hello Anonymous2001,

I know what you're going thru. Once the anxiety kicks in, which is usually the 1st symptom that begins my withdrawals, I was a "hot mess." Especially if I didn't have anything on my immediate person to take the anxiety away. It would build and build until it felt like I couldn't take it anymore. Knowing it wouldn't let up for days if i didn't get something to take it away.

It wasn't until I discovered about nutrition being the foundation of my recovery that the anxiety and depression became less severe until they went away. It took years of abuse for me to get horrible anxiety and depression if I wasn't using. The physiological changes in my body didn't happen overnight and after multiple times of going thru rehab I realized the current treatment field was lacking in something I could never put my finger on.

Until I researched about the exact physiological changes and what i could do to repair them. The answer lies in a holistic lifestyle. Proper nutrition and regular exercise are the key to overcoming your anxiety and depression, so long as they are only due to your substance use and not due to a dual-diagnosis.

Seek professional advice, but I would begin to make necessary, healthy, changes in your life now. Make sure you don't have a secondary problem though by seeking advice from a licensed professional, I cannot stress that enough.

I wish you the best and hope to hear good things from you in the future.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

5. Anonymous2001

Anonymous2001 Member

i wish i could. Im still smoking and I have a UA on the 25th. I just cant not be high. starting to feel like im stuck and cant be helped. I have no desire to change my ways
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I believe in you there is a desire to change your ways,maybe hard to acknowledge or understand but this community here is always here to talk,advise,and of course listen.There is happiness without drug's.I was addicted to an amphetamine at 6 year's old no bullsh×t and stayed addicted over 20+ more year's,i am now sober and the best feeling in life ever is taking my insane tactics to survive and highlighting the destruction they caused because if my story helps other's everything i went through in that time was worth it.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Anonymous2001... Thanks for sharing with us. I'm sorry that you're struggling with anxiety and depression. I know quite a few people who used marijuana for their depression/anxiety and found relief. At first. But the longer they smoked pot, the more depressed/anxious/paranoid they got. I'm not an expert, but it seems that pot can affect people in an adverse way over time. Just out of curiosity, how long have you been smoking? And have you ever seen a psychiatrist or therapist for your mental health issues?