An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anxiety/Anger (from thc withdrawal)?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by KC Sunshine, Nov 24, 2014.

1. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

I have a nephew who I'm certain smokes marijuana on a fairly regular basis. Maybe daily. He's fifteen. I gotta figure he gets it from someone at school. Maybe he takes some from his dad, who also smokes daily. Anyway, every once in a while this kid totally loses his mind. He gets angry, starts screaming, throwing things. He's not small. He broke their sliding glass window and half of the mugs in the house. He has broke things in his room, shelves and a radio that resulted from his taking anger into his room and letting fly. My sister always told me he was suffering from an management problem, duh. But I talked to him last week and he confessed that these anger flashes come on when he runs out of marijuana. He says he can stay focused and keep steady when he has a little bit to smoke every day, but when he runs out, "I wide open," he said, sweeping his hands from the center of his face outward as far as his arms would reach. "I can't do nothing." He looked at me with pleading eyes. Has anyone heard of THC-withdrawal induced anger? Is he telling me the truth?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That could be the truth. My grandfather, I heard stories from my mom, was an alcoholic and every time he ran out of beer or tequila to drink, his temper shot up. He'd beat up my grandma or start throwing things in the house. I guess the same principle applies. Whether it's nicotine, marijuana or alcohol, once you're addicted to something, you get so frustrated when your supplies run low. Of course, having been so dependent on the substance, you end up panicking at the thought of losing your "only source of support." He could be telling the truth, but that's not the point here, is it? You have to have your nephew checked and rehabbed as soon as possible lest he falls deeper into the abyss that drug abuse has created.
  3. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

Yes I myself suffer from this. This is the truth.
  4. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Member

Honestly, I have never heard of THC withdrawal causing anger, nonetheless it is quite possible. Clearly you are very fond of your nephew, if I were you I would investigate to find out if there are other factors you have not accounted for that may be the root for this anger. There are lots of things going on in the head of teenagers!

Marijuana is known to have a very calming effect on people so its normal that when he is not high, he is a little more aggressive. Regardless, when you start breaking things you're the wrong way up the latter...

I wouldn't blame the anger on the marijuana withdrawal, instead what I think is happening is that he is using weed to escape or suppress something that is bothering him.
    Good luck,
    -LoyalServant

5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, it is a withdrawal symptom; one of the many symptoms actually. And this is not only true for drugs but for alcohol and smoking as well. I read that symptoms are usually evident during the first week then gradually drop off in a month's time. But I'm guessing it's longer especially for heavy and long-time users.

I found this link http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/factsheets/aggression.htm that mentioned some studies showing a strong correlation between marijuana and violence amongst adolescents.

Please read the article as it talks so much about anger being present in marijuana use and withdrawal. Anger can be manifested in a violent rage just like what your nephew does.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it may be possible but in my opinion I think this is not a very common effect. Most people I know that run out of marijuana or any other substances do get cranky but not to the point of being rage filled. I'd agree with LoyalServant that there might be some underlying psychological problems that might be best checked out as early as possible. I myself have felt almost uncontrollable anger when I was withdrawing from cigarettes when I tried to quit cold turkey, but other than being a bit snarky I was more or less able to deal with it.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Your nephew is going through major changes in his life. Being a teenager has never been easy for anyone. I remember myself dealing with a lot of anger issues during that time. But then I had a lot of reasons for it, being kicked around by my parents on a daily basis. Whatever your nephew is struggling with, I personally think that smoking marijuana probably intensifies his emotions to a certain degree, but I can't see how he would have such severe withdrawal symptoms. It seems to me that the marijuana only exacerbates what is already there in the first place.
  8. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

it could be a hard crash down for him. or those may be the real feelings he is suppressing using marijuana
  9. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Am not familiar with that term(THC) so i won't comment on it.Fro what i know,marijuana has a calming effect and if your nephew has the habit of throwing tantrums,i think that condition would be rare.Since its clear that he's not about to give up on his habit,i don't think his anger has anything to do with the drug but rather the lack of it.
  10. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

This sounds possible, but it could also be from a combination of things. Is he on any other medications. I have noticed some people on other meds get upset when they don't have any Marijuana, but they usually don't go around and break things, Then again this generation of Marijuana is mainly grown in a lab, and who knows what else these scientist are adding to the weed. You just can't trust this system anymore.
  11. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I think he is, he needs to be in a rehab/juvenile centre where they can help him or it may get worst being that he is so reliant on the drug. I have seen people who smoke weed go hay why, even when they have it to smoke everyday. It has several side effects and can harm the individual drastically. You need to seek professional help for him before it is too late, his father won't as he may not see anything wrong because he himself is an addict and may condone with his son's addiction.
  12. Sonjapunk

Sonjapunk Member

I have read somewhere about this, but I've never seen it, or experienced it. I think it must be psychologically triggered, since I dont feel that marijuana is really addictive, or causes that kind of outrage.
  13. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I don't see why it can't be true. Everyone reacts to drugs differently, and even though THC generally makes a person relaxed, its withdrawal symptoms are a different matter. He's also 15 though. Going through adolescence may also have a factor in this matter. I'm sure everyone here remembers how rowdy and rebellious they were when they were a teenager.
  14. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Marijuana is highly addictive, not because you are not addicted to it doesn't mean no one can get hooked on the thing. Persons become addicted to several things I know I could never get addicted to. Take for example cigarettes, I smoked it a few times and it was gross, totally hated it yet several are addicted and are struggling to break the addiction. Cocaine is highly addictive and I was told that once you get it you are hooked, yet I know someone who smoked it and said it was no fun and he would never do it again.
  15. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I don't know that I would call it a withdrawal per se, because I don't believe THC has truly addictive properties, but I have known people who get real bad attitudes when they can't get high everyday. My brother-in-law was like that. He was the nicest guy you could meet on most days. I don't know if he was high all day long, or he just needed a "pick me up". But he was mellow, and didn't act high. But my sister would tell me when he couldn't find any. Not that I really needed to be told. He would give attitude and act like a different person. Sometimes I will leave if I see him acting that way, because I know what it's about.
  16. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It definitely could be either a withdrawal symptom or psychological issue caused by the drug. He may also have anger issues that are not entirely related to the drugs, perhaps even issues that lead him to want to use marijuana so often to "feel better." If his body is accustomed to a certain pattern of substance use, then the absence of it will make him feel some sort of withdrawal like symptoms. Whatever the issue here, this young man needs to get some help before he ends up in jail. If his parents are not able to give him the help and guidance he needs, perhaps seeing a counselor would be helpful, someone he can trust and speak freely to and be able to talk through issues he needs to resolve.
  17. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

My best friend's husband does drugs very often. I don't think that he even realizes how it effects the normal things he does on a daily basis. We recently went over for Thanksgiving dinner and he over cooked or burnt the majority of the food. The only real edible food was the dressing and green-bean casserole that I brought with me. She complains to me a lot about his behavior with drugs, and asks me for advice, but I usually don't know what to say.
  18. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

It most certainly can be a withdrawal symptom. I am not an expert on marijuana withdrawal but I do know it can affect people in a lot of different ways despite being labeled as "harmless" for the most part.
  19. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Withdraw is very painful and he could be doing these things to get rid of a horrible feeling inside. He needs to obtain professional help because he is already an addict. He requires a lot of support so that he can turn his life around.
  20. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

I think so too, but he will not admit to the fact that it is out of control. He is still hanging around friends who are the same, and they have been doing drugs every since they where in high school. He is now about to be 40 years old.