An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anxiety/Anger (from thc withdrawal)?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by KC Sunshine, Nov 24, 2014.

1. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have to say that there is so much proven scientific research on this drug for a number of illnesses and the affects are exceptionally positive. I recently had to do research and write an article on it for a client. Taken in moderation it can be very beneficial for many conditions. However, it has a calming affect, especially for anxiety and many vets are currently treated with it. I did not come across any evidence of it inducing anger or aggression. It even reduced an epilepsy condition of over 300 seizures to 1 a week. I would not despair, but rather do your research and chat to someone who knows so that you have a clear picture of the affects and exactly what this boy is doing and why.
  2. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

My brother's wife has an anger problem because she quit smoking. When she used to smoke, she would be happy and show her caring side. When she quit smoking, she became extremely mean especially to my brother. The main reason I think people smoke marijuana is because they would rather feel high instead of dealing with reality. I am also guilty of this because I did it for the exact same reason. She has a temper problem and so do I but we are totally opposite. I quit smoking and for a while and I was angry but I eventually got over it mainly because I still drink. I must admit that I like being under the influence of something but if I am not then it doesn't make me angry anymore. I have found alternatives to release my anger. My brother's wife on the other hand, she always go back to marijuana to make her happy.
  3. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

There have been some recent studies on the effects marijuana has on the developing teenage brain, and how that relates to a teens ability to cope with stress. One of the reasons I'm hard pressed to think it's "withdrawal" is time since last use. If this teen is flipping out because he hasn't had a joint in a day or so, it might not be withdrawal, it could be an underlying issue, or it could be that he no longer knows how to cope with the everyday pressures of life, when he's not high. This of course is going to cause a lot of anger & frustration. Also, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but is it possible that he's trying to convince people that he "needs" it to not flip out? Teens can manipulate, and I've seen more than a few teens whose parents "allow" marijuana use try to manipulate situations where they do not have immediate access, whether to get money, or the drugs themselves.
  4. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Its not so much withdrawal from the substance when it comes to week as it is from the emotional effects. Marijuana relaxes the body, the mood and inhibitions. When people do it on a regular basis and then are forced to deal with normal stress and emotions, anger and anxiety are common.
  5. It seems to me that your nephew may be suffering from a type of psychosis.

Psychosis can manifest itself as extended periods of explosive, often violent, outbursts typically experienced by those who abuse prescription medications and hard drugs. However, marijuana can also induce psychosis; especially when its used by a fifteen year old who's hormones are already fluctuating as a result of puberty.

I would highly recommend that you consult someone who specializes in drug rehabilitation for more help with your situation.
  6. Ruskoll

Ruskoll Member

Anxiety and anger is a very common withdrawal symptom. People often lash out or become afraid of those around them as their body is struggling to cope without the substance that they are addicted to. If it gets to that stage then it is time for an intervention rather than letting them fall deeper into the addiction. Things will only go downhill from there.
    Nick W. likes this.
  7. 003

003 Community Champion

When one is in withdrawal it's like feeling despair that someone you love the most has died. It's like a depression which is being coupled by aggression to ease the pain that your body is suffering because to where it's conditioned isn't now what it feels. Over time, it will just wear out, just make sure that the damage of the one who is withdrawing is minimised, and do not argue or go against that someone who is undergoing that tragic phase. Just tolerate what he does, but you might want to just replace the things or locate him to where even that he becomes a lunatic who keeps breaking anything without consideration, his damages would only be minimal.