An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anxiety Attacks after smoking Grass/Marijuana

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by oraclemay, Dec 14, 2015.

1. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I know of a young guy who smoked grass a few times, not more than 5 times. Since then he has been suffering from anxiety attacks and has even had to see a psychologist. I never heard of this happening in my day. I also know that they use it in the treatment of PTSD to keep people calm. I find this reaction strange, especially considering that this person has not smoked very much. I know you can become paranoid while you are high, but it wears off. Have you ever hear of such a reaction?
  2. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I have heard of this reaction. I don't think it's very common but as with any psychoactive drug, different effects can be seen in different people. It's almost like an allergy for some people, everyone is different.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've never heard of such a reaction either. The logical explanation IMHO, would be that prior to smoking marijuana he had some issues but it's the smoking which made it all worse. Marijuana can exacerbate anxiety. Could be that after the effects of Marijuana wore off thoughts of anxiety still persist which would explain why he still suffers from anxiety attacks.

I've also heard that some drugs can induce anxiety and one could suffer from anxiety attacks for weeks after using the drugs. This could be another explanation . . .
  4. І'vе read mоst answers hеrе аnd noticed оnlу оnе person mention thе strain оr genetics оf thе plant. І personally fоund thіs tо bе spot on. However, thе answer sееmеd а lіttlе confusing аnd mауbе missing а key thing. Тhеrе аrе multiple cannabinoids іn pot, but thеrе аrе 2 main ones. Yоu аlwауs hear оf one, whісh іs thе THC іn thе plant, but І find thе mоrе іmроrtаnt оnе tо bе CBD. Lіkе wіth аnу оthеr medication, thеrе аrе side effects. It's bееn shоwn thаt plants wіth high potency оf THC, wіth lіttlе tо nо CBD, hаvе vеrу dіffеrеnt effects. THC sееms tо bе whаt саusеs increased paranoia, mоst оf thе time duе tо increased heart rate аnd metabolism (kind оf lіkе а slight increase іn adrenaline). Whеrе plants w а high CBD content tend tо relax you, gіvе уоu mоrе оf а body high (great fоr pain relief ) аnd nоt increase heart rate, leading tо lеss paranoia аnd оthеr nоt wanted side effects (endless munchies, burn out, etc). Јust mу 2 cents. Yоu wаnt а nicer, lеss intense high w nо paranoia, find plants w high CBD% аnd lower THC%.
  5. Arlene

Arlene Member

Му personal theory (based uроn 40 years оf self-observation) іs thаt оnе еffесt оf thе psychotropic effects оf marijuana іs tо loosen thе bonds оf continuity bеtwееn moments: hеnсе forgotten thoughts; wild leaps оf thought; etc. Fоr most, thіs іs relaxing, аs mаnу оf us hаvе а continuity оf anxiety running thrоugh оur days аs well, аnd breaking thіs іs Good. However, І аlsо bеlіеvе that, shоuld thе background anxiety bе great enough, thе "break" bеtwееn adjacent moments bесоmеs perceived аs а loss оf thе continuity оf self, аnd thеrеbу terrifying -- hеnсе thе panic.

Insofar аs medical/neurochemical mechanisms go, it's nоt аs thоugh thіs innocuous drug, classified аs Schedule І аnd nоt аblе tо bе patented, іs high оn anyone's rеsеаrсh list.
  6. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

It could have been laced with someone else. That would cause it. Or if it was that synthetic stuff. I have smoked before and I wasn't very used to it. I was fine unless I smoked a lot and then I would almost get a panic attack. My chest would feel heavy and my hands would get all clammy. The one I did was through a vaporizer though. It wasn't a fun experience. They were used to smoking a lot and I wasn't. Also one time they had several different kinds in the vaporizer and I tried to keep up with them and didn't realize it was different kinds. That was the worst experience I ever had.
  7. Joseph1

Joseph1 Member

Соuld bе thе strain оf Cannabis уоu аrе smoking. Dіffеrеnt strains саn hаvе markedly dіffеrеnt effects оn thе user. Fоr instance, Sativa's аrе knоwn tо bе mоrе energetic аnd uplifting but а common side еffесt іs іndееd paranoia аnd anxiety whісh іs commonly attributed tо thе higher THC percentages associated wіth Sativa strains (although, wіth thе advanced growing techniques, Indicas аrе gеttіng јust аs high іn THC). Indica strains оn thе оthеr hand аrе knоwn fоr thеіr relaxing sedative effects аnd іt іs rare tо hear а user report аn Indica dominant strain causing paranoia оr anxiety. Му advice (If уоur іn а stаtе thаt уоur able) wоuld bе tо purchase аn Indica dominant strain аnd assess уоur experience wіth that.
  8. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have to say that I have to wonder if the grass was not laced. This was the first thought that crossed my mind. However, now that you have shared with me the different strains and the affects I think it is most likely the type of marijuana that he smoked. I have to say that it is interesting. The Indica strains are obviously the best strains for pain. I know that many cancer patients smoke these and find them extremely helpful. I know that a lot of research is currently been done on cannabis in Israel and amazing benefits have are being recorded. One little girl who took over 100 fits a week has been treated with cannabis and her fits have been reduced to 1 a week. So there is a positive side to this drug being used medically.
  9. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

I think it has different effects on different people. Individual differences I guess. It is also possible that there was something else in the stuff. He could also have been dealing with anxiety and smoking the stuff only made it worse.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There could be a number of reasons for this, many of which have been proposed above. It's not that common but it does happen. My mother only ever tried it once in her life and it immediately made her paranoid to the point where she became delusional and thought that everyone was trying to stab her. Some people are prone to that kind of reaction. Alternatively, marijuana currently contains higher THC levels than it ever has done in the past and it's the THC which can cause psychosis. As also proposed above it could have been tanpered with and laced with sonething or it could have been synthetic marijuana which is extremely dangerous.
  11. Ally

Ally Member

I had two anxiety attacks when I first started smoking pot. They didn't happen later, though, they happened when I was high. They were both pretty awful, though, looking back. I have since wondered if the stuff I had might have been contaminated with something else. Or, maybe, I just wasn't ready to start smoking pot. It is a substance and shouldn't be used if you aren't ready to experience a high- I didn't know any of the people I was with and just wanted to smoke because they were smoking. It backfired. I think the fact that the person hasn't smoked very much might actually explain the anxiety... it is a weird sensation. Perhaps that is why?
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Any substance can affect people I'm different ways and anxiety is something that does get associated with marijuana use quite a lot.

One of the main side effects seems to be anxiety and this is increased in people that have that are susceptible to that form of attack.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've heard of research linking schizophrenia and marijuana use - I don't know the exact scenario (how prolonged the use was or anything like that) but apparently there is some degree of correlation. I had also heard that it does bring about paranoia/anxiety in some people - all the more reason to steer clear of it for me.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Different substances have different effects on people so while in an ideal world it a obviously better not to take any substances, if you do, then it's obviously wise to know just what you are dealing with and what effects you may suffer.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I also have smoked weed but I never felt that reaction from smoking it. I guess the bottomline is weed is bad for you in general and it is best to stay away from it since you'll never know what side effects you will get.
  16. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

This has happened to my husband before after he has smoked. He uses marijuana for his depression and bi-polar disorder. Even tho most of the time it helps lessen his symptoms, there has been a few times that it has flared up his anxiety. It usually happens if he has smoked too much or took a too big of a dose of the CBD oil. Also, different strands will cause this reaction with him as well. He will have eased his bi-polar high, but also induced an anxiety attack with paranoia. Then it takes almost 3 hours before I can get him calmed down from that. Having these mental illnesses are so unpredictable when trying to manage them with natural plant based medicines.
  17. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

This is actually an interesting thread for me since this is the first time I've read that a person can get anxiety attacks after smoking marijuana. So apparently, different strains of marijuana can give different effects. Some even mentioned how marijuana can exacerbate the condition of a person.

It's quite alarming for me to know that marijuana can have these effects on people. So even if it's used medicinally, there's that chance that it might affect the patient in a different way. Truly, we need to be more careful in administering its use. And for those who use it recreationally, we need to know that marijuana might still have such negative effects.
  18. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Correlation v. causation. Because the attacks started around the time that he smoked marijuana, he may think the pot is the cause. It may or may not be. Different people react differently.

Pot induced paranoia is temporary, so maybe something else is bringing out his anxiety. It may also be caused by a guilty reaction, if he feels guilty for experimenting with drugs. It could be any number of things, so it's good that he's seeking help.
  19. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Well, marijuana is known to be able to trigger psychotic illnesses, such as schizophrenia if the user has a genetic predisposition to it. Anxiety is also a well known effect of smoking marijuana, so it might just have triggered something in him that would have come out eventually, with or without smoking.

It might also depend on the strain, as some strains give you a body high and some give you more of a "mental-high". Sadly, the young guy you are talking about might have smoked the wrong strain. Every drug has their risks you are exposing yourself to, marijuana included!
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes I have actually. It's withdrawal. It can take some time for the anxiety to kick in marijuana has an incubation period in the brain. I think I've heard it can take up to 4 years for the side effects like this to occur. More than likely if a person were to continue smoking they wouldn't have this happen because they were still using. Because it takes so long for the withdrawal like this to happen most people don't associate one with the other. If there is a serious amount of stress and no smoking; the anxiety can be brought forth. There are usually other factors present but it does happen mainly because of the presence of mary j. It can also be through association. Stress associated with a person related to the smoking unless there has been detoxification. In other words if I smoked with my boyfriend a few times. Months later we broke up and this upset me; there is the association. Separation anxiety and the association of whom it was smoked with. The drug is present within the cells for decades if it is not detoxified; the memory as well. It's quite complex but this is as simplified as I can say.