An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Any Juice or Drink that Tastes like Beer...?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by bluedressed, Feb 11, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Yo, guys.

So, as I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, my Bavarian boyfriend used to drink beer all the time, from morning to night. When he quit alcohol, he switched to non-alcoholic beer (which is here very tasty, so I was laughing a bit when I heard Americans decide that non-alcoholic beer is the worse thing ever).

The thing is, he does this because it seems he only likes to drink beer. And soda, too. Sometimes some mix of apple juice and water, but really, he runs on beer, with or without the alcohol content. Since we want to move away in a few months to a place which does not seem to have a choice of non-alcoholic beer (I researched and only saw some in a health food store, probably very expensive at that!), we thought that maybe, with people making crazy tasting smoothies and weird teas and juices etc, maybe something somewhere would have the vague taste of beer.

I really would prefer it if he would like to drink water but he hates the taste of it. I would not be a fan of him starting to drink this much cola either, since it is very bad for health and weight...

Did any of you have this sort of situation before where ex-drinkers had to find new drinks to love? What worked?
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

As far as things that are non-alcoholic that taste like beer, there aren't that many options besides something like O'Douls which is basically a non-alcoholic beer. I can't really think of anything in particular, unless he drinks something like Sangria that is non-alcoholic.
  3. piez

piez Member

As far as I know there isn't any type of juice or smoothie that would resemble the taste of beer. As far as non alcoholic beer is concerned I am almost certain you could order it online and have it shipped to you if you can't seem to find it in any store. It is definitely better than him drinking real beer all the time. But like you said he needs to drink more water regardless of what else he is drinking. Drinking too much of anything besides water is not good for the body.
  4. bluedressed

Small island in the Indian Ocean where getting stuff shipped takes forever. I wonder if there is a way we could make business with the "non-alcoholic beer breweries" of his favorites here in Germany.

The thing is, he does not like water. I have no idea how to make him like it. None! I mean, he does like sparkling water a bit more. So maybe I should invest on this, but he never really wants to buy it. I know that many people talk of beer as an acquired taste, I just wonder how can one de-acquire it. Urgh! *flails*
    stariie likes this.
  5. piez

piez Member

If all he will drink is sparkling water then I guess I would suggest that. At least it is better than beer or sodas. Maybe after awhile he will acquire a bit more of a taste for water and drink a bit more of the actual stuff. You could also get those waters that have just a bit of flavoring in them.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Does this island not have any grocery stores or supermarkets at all? It may be the case that they are available after all. The only other things I could suggest are ginger ale or root beer. They aren't to everybody's taste though.
  7. bluedressed

Nah, they have groceries, but they mostly sell local beer, and a few importations. Non-alcoholic beer would not be on the list of those importations that I remember from my previous travels there. But maybe you're right and it changed! But still, it would be worth checking because it's not like "non-alcoholic beers" are good everywhere.

I like root beer. :) It's not totally healthy though. Mmmm. Root beer.
  8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I'm not sure what type of beer your guy is used to. For myself, I get the taste of beer from soda water, a splash of walnut juice, & a lot of lime. A splash of hot sauce & Worcestershire if I'm looking for more of a Michelada taste. I just generally enjoy it.
    bluedressed likes this.
  9. bluedressed

Oh! That's interesting. I never saw walnut juice being sold around here -- do you buy it in any special place or is it a DIY thing?

Never heard of Michelada but Worcestershire looks pervert in a drink! :O
  10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

No, I make my own. It's amazingly simple. As far as the Michelada is concerned, it's a Mexican style drink made with beer, lime juice, and assorted sauces, spices, and peppers. The walnut juice is the bitter element, the soda water is for carbonation, & the lime is for flavour.
  11. stariie

stariie Community Champion

This reminds me of a young guy I knew years ago. He came to my house with a friend, it was hot outside, or something like that, so I asked him if he wanted a glass of water.
    He said, "No. I don't drink it straight."

You don't drink it straight? What?!o_O

There are so many people who don't like water. Too bad. Water is fabulous.
  12. Charity

Charity Member

As far as juice goes, I do not know of any that taste like beer. However, I have to admit I never developed a taste for beer as I prefer the harder stuff. So if their was a juice that tasted like beer, I think I would have to abandon drinking juice.
  13. bluedressed

How do you make walnut juice? A juicer? *confused* I know people who make almond milk, but walnut juice...!

But thank you very much :) Everybody I asked (in RL and on the Internet) seemed to think that it could not be that something could taste similar. We will try this!

and @stariie , yup, water is complete awesomeness and it makes me so happy to drink it when I'm thirsty and I usually don't even like to drink other stuff. I don't get it. How can people not like something so essential to life??
    stariie likes this.
  14. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I've never been a beer drinker, I tried to get used to taste but I never got myself to like it. I liked wine and vodka specially the flavored ones. We have both alcoholic and non-alcoholic bottles of wine at home and coconut juice was my savior because I didn't like drinking water much either.
    stariie likes this.
  15. bluedressed

I... never heard of non-alcoholic wine before! I mean, when we were kids, there were some "Cooler" bottles with 0,05% alcohol and the sticker said it was made on a base of wine. But it only tasted like sparkling juice, really, and had the optional effect of making us feel grown up.

What sort of "non-alcoholic" wine is it? How does it taste like? Is it common? Why not just... grape juice?
  16. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I've tasted non-alcoholic beer before and it does taste like beer but does not get you buzzed or drunk at all. Although it is not good to drink in large amounts in my opinion - kind of made me sick after two bottles. Ginger Ale and Club soda tastes like some types of beer, which is probably they're used in mixed drinks. Now that there are alcoholic energy drinks like Four Loko, I opinion energy drinks are similar in taste to beer too.
  17. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Yep, there are non alcoholic wines now and even beer, people trying to quit drinking won't really have an excuse anymore. lol! They both smell like the real deal but of course without the buzz. I've had the wine and its pretty good. I heard the beer was quite nice too though (of course) ex-drinkers hate it because it probably feels really fake because they can't get drunk with it.
  18. bluedressed

Well... why would someone even think about the possibility of non-alcoholic beverages getting anyone drunk? XD The only people it could buzz would be teenagers who want to party and have no idea it's not real beer and who would then pretend to be drunk.

and @RingoBerry well since I'm writing this thread because I'm wondering what my bf can drink when not non-alcoholic beer, I think it's fair to say that no, not "of course ex-drinkers hate it". He drank beer morning to night and now he drinks non-alcoholic beer morning to night, lol XD But like I said -- here in Germany they take the beer serious, even the beer without alcohol content. So it does taste a bit different, but not "fake". In fact, my boyfriend tried a sip or two of his friend's special beer last time and he found it now too bitter for his taste, since his alcohol-free beer is a bit sweeter. :)
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

How about cider? Cider is fermented apple juice. It doesn't taste exactly like beer but it can make you a bit tipsy - minus the alcohol, of course. Fermented grace juice does taste similar to red wine sans the stinging alcohol aftertaste. You can also try fermented malt. Malt is an ingredient for beer, anyway.
  20. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

A nice alternate beverage would be root beer. It tastes like cola with a hint of minty flavor. It is carbonated like soda and is sweetened. Personally, I don’t like it very much because it tastes like mouthwash and I’d rather go for a cola, but it depends on your taste. Another alternate would be butter-beer, inspired by the Harry Potter series. Butter-beer isn’t really beer either like root beer. It is also soda-based (cream soda), with additions of butter, brown sugar, and whipping cream for additional sweet foam. I have not tried it yet, but I am planning on making one!