An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Any suggestions on Vitamins or other help with opiate recovery?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Hopeful32, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Hopeful32

Hopeful32 Member

Does any have suggestions on vitamins or other natural things to help with opiate recovery? I've gotten through the initial withdrawal of leg pains and sleeplessness nights. I'm taking an everyday vitamin, eating good and drinking tons of water. I've read that it can take up to a year for your mental state of mind to get back to normal. I'm going to start exercising because I have heard this works too. I'm a little worried about pushing through mentally. I'm leaving a bad relationship and quitting opiates at the same time and trying to stay positive so any other suggestions would be helpful. I'm in the process of looking of groups locally to join, though I'm nervous about going. Thanks for any help.
    Mara likes this.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hi! I'm so glad that you're on your path to recovery.:) With regards to your questions, here's a few supplements or vitamins that I can recommend to you:
    • Vitamin C. It's important to supplement with this to aid your body in releasing the toxins quickly. If you can, find a non-acidic Vitamin C supplement. Or maybe just consume more fruits loaded with Vitamin C.
    • Fenugreek. This works wonders for the nausea and the diarrhoea. You can take a capsule or even boil the seeds in some water to make a paste.
    • Ginger. This can be used to help manage the nausea as well. You can just boil some ginger in hot water and drink it. Or there's even some capsules that can be bought as well.
    • Cayenne. You said you're already through with the muscle pains but Cayenne does help with the pains. It's a cream that can be applied to places where you're in pain but don't apply it to open wounds.
    Then, I would also suggest for you to:
    • Eat more healthy foods. Consume more fruits and vegetables to aid your recovery.
    • Exercise. Working out releases tension in the muscles and the mind as well.
    • Meditation. A great way to release stress as well and there's lots of tutorials online even on YouTube.
    Good luck and I hope this helps!
    Mara likes this.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hey @Hopeful32. That's great news. I'm glad that you're doing okay and doing your best in your recovery. I think that @Coolkidhere's recommendations are more than enough in my opinion and I do not need to add anything anymore. Perhaps all I can contribute is moral support. ;) Just keep going and never give up. We're all here for you.

Sending you more positive and sober vibes. :D
  4. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

I liked what coolkidhere had to offer with that list of vitamins and herbs. I want to offer another for your consideration. I am currently on a coffee cleanse, because coffee is good for the liver and helps to clean the body of toxins. The best way is to drink it black but it can be either caffeinated or decaff., it doesn't really matter. The only thing is, and this is true of any type of detox... you need to drink a lot of water to assist with the removal of toxins from the system, or you will actually feel worse rather than better. Green tea is good for this purpose as well, but coffee contains more antioxidants than just about anything out there. I wish you the very best in getting through this, and I think you'll probably enjoy attending support groups, at least once you feel relaxed and comfortable with that.
  5. Hopeful32

Hopeful32 Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm a big coffee drinker and I'm drinking tons of water. I'm three weeks sober so I keep telling myself every day it'll get a little better. I think the mental aspect is where I'm at now. Somedays you don't have the push but I know it's takes months for brain to get to producing endorphin? I think it's called. But I'm good and trying to stay positive.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Congrats on your three weeks, @Hopeful32. That's truly wonderful. :)
  7. RSH85

RSH85 Member

I have read that these vitamins can help with opiate recovery:
    • Multivitamin: Because nutrient deficiencies are very common in opiate users, your doctor may recommend a basic multivitamin. Your doctor may conduct blood tests to find out if you have any deficiencies. Different deficiencies have different symptoms, and treating them will make you healthier and stronger during recovery.
    • Passionflower: Passionflower is an herb that was studied alongside clonidine, a drug that is sometimes used for opiate withdrawal.
    • Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a chemical that plays an important role in the body. You can read more on Canadian Pharmacy Online website
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  8. Congratulations!!! This is a big step in your fight.
    And know it will be hard veryyy hard but you will be the big winner in the end!!!
  9. Falcon

Falcon Member

For me, i only can take Vitamin C. But there are so many compounds that the body can benefit from and that it needs. There's still more research that needs to go into this area.