An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Any Tips to help friend

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by SharkyJen998, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

I am surrounded by a group of smokers (nicotine). We have all expressed the desire to quit. My longest stint was three months long without a cigarette. I was hoping to encourage them to quit and give them inspiration, but eventually I fell back into the habit.

I was wondering if anyone could help give me some tips to help encourage my friends to quit as well. It's difficult seeing them smoking everyday and knowing that they want to quit. Any tips?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Have your friends realized they have a problem and have informed you that they are ready to fight their addictions? If they have it would be relatively easier to get them to either wean themselves off cigars or replace their cigars with nicotine gums, nicotine patches and the like.

However if they are yet to make a commitment to quit you might find it somewhat hard to convince them to quit.

I think what might help you beat the addiction is adopting a strategy that will guarantee you victory. Set achievable goals. Try not to smoke for a day. Just one day. And continue fighting a day at a time.
  3. SharkyJen998

Yes. My friend has expressed a desire to quit, and has even tried to before. He says he feels powereless. He said that if he had someone constantly encouraging him then he probably could quit.

That is a really great idea taking it one step at a time. It helps me to think of it in terms of hours on thr first few days.

Thank you for your support!
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Are your friends very competitive? If so, you could make a competition out of it?

Taking it step-by-step is definitely a good way to go - as thinking about a future of never smoking again can sound like a very daunting task!
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You have the perfect recipe for quitting here. Getting rid of addiction, healthy, as well as doing stuff and getting motivated is easier when there are people going through the same thing as you. Why not try quitting in a group? You'll see it is actually enjoyable, suggest them this the next time you meet.
  6. SharkyJen998

@Nergaahl - that is my hope, to quit as an entire group. The problems seems to be that when one from the group doesn't, we all end up falling back into the habit. I feel like if everyone was able to quit, then we may be able to resist temptation more easily.

@singingintherain - That is such a great idea! A competition sounds like a great idea! We could even have a rewards-based system or put all of the money we all save in a pool to do something really cool together. Thank you for the great advice!
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

@SharkyJen998 Well, that's the main point of a group "activity": to support each other and never let one of you fall back. If any of your friends relapses, comfort and encourage them instead of getting back to your old habits. If they see that the rest of you are motivated and are able to resist the temptation, they will most likely get an empowering boost and keep strong in front of addiction.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

well, maybe your friends and yourself could harness the support of the group in your desire to quit. You can support and encourage each other when the going gets difficult. You already have a built in support group since there is a group of you who want to quit.
  9. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

@SharkyJen998 How are things going with you and your friends? Have you set a date to quit?

Hopefully the group is able to support each other and you can all be smokefree together :) In some ways that makes it easier as you won't have friends offering you cigarettes initially when you're out. You can also remind each other of the common goal whenever you get a craving. I'm not a hugely competitive person but if you do decide to make a competition out of it I find a good incentive usually helps a lot!
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think better if you can totally kick the habit first so that they will really think that it is possible to quit. Maybe if they see you healthier because of not smoking, they will be convinced that they should quit. Or if possible, all of you will set a day when to stop smoking and stick to it and keep the word for it.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

You all need help and nobody in your group seem to realise about that. What brings you together is something common, drugs. If you can break your group then you will be better off. Or consider having new members who don't want to take drugs. That is called influence, and if one of you can completely quit taking drugs then he might influence others into quitting. That is my prayer.
  12. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

There is only up to an extend you could advice your friends from stopping. It is amazing that you've already stopped by yourself and that alone is commendable. Try your best to advice your friends, it's up to them to actually stop. Maybe, time would help them or they might never stop.
  13. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

You can get your friend electronic cigarettes. Tons of my friends quit smoking by smoking electronic cigarettes. They really work, they help kick the habit of smoking anything really.
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It would be great if you all quit together. You would all have your own little support group to encourage each other. It would become a bit of a competition among friends. I think it is great idea! Just pick a day and do it!!
  15. denart10

denart10 Member

You could have a fun little contest between friends: whoever goes the longest without a cigarette wins. The winner gets a reward. This could be money or a gift.
    You could also it it the other way around: the loser has to pay the others or has to pay drinks the next time you go out together. The loser being the person with the least time between cigarettes.

Hope this helps.