An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Any treatment programs for managing vs quitting?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Fern, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I know there's an overeater's anonymous for managing things like food binges and compulsive overeating. It's essentially a 12-step program with accountability and plans to help plan meals and only eat on plan and not eat more than you need.

Is there a non-12-step program similar to that for people on pain meds that need them but want to manage their consumption? I can't ask a family member to hold my extras (because they wouldn't just hold them, I guarentee they'd take them) and I can't just ditch pills that might potentially be extra because sometimes I have enough pain to need them. I can't go off pain meds entirely; I'll always need some for the rest of my life. I'm still healthy enough that I'm trying non-medication means to reduce my pill use, like a tens unit and physical therapy and following things like my lifting restrictions. I can't really go to a program with people trying to quit because I need to take them.

I don't want to go too far. I know I need to manage them, use them enough to take the edge off but not enough to feel good. If I have enough pain for the dose I take, I don't feel high. BUT I know what it is to take more than I need and I crave that feeling.
  2. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Since these are meds for pain, I would recommend talking with you Dr about this. Most groups are against addiction and want to overcome that, not manage it, so it would be really hard to find a group. Maybe another person then a family member could hold them for you, anybody that you can surely trust that he wont take them of course.
  3. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think that you need to ask yourself if you really need the pain meds for the rest of your life or if you can visit a doctor to let you see that it is not needed permanently. Try to find an outpatient program or a meeting in your area where you can go and meet other users that have the same issues as you and they might be able to show you that you do not ned it and you can do without it. A sponsor can help you with keeping the meds for you but you should really try to get away from them altogether and find a herbal way to stop your pain or try accupuncture just to see that you dont need meds!