An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anyone else been free of their addiction for an extended period? I'm 6 years sober.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Chriswriter, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Chriswriter

Chriswriter Member

I'd be interested to hear peoples stories on this....
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Good to hear and congratulations on 6 years. That is a long time and you should celebrate! I have stayed away from cigarettes for almost a year now and have not looked back. The great thing about this forum is that you can talk about ANY addiction.
  3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Yes, I was a massive drinker, well on the way to kiling myself before I finally stopped for good in 2009. It was a hard struggle for up to a year afterwards but has been considerably easier since. I personally will probably never be free from sudden intense periods of craving, usually around Christmas, and other times when the entire World seems to be drinking, but for me I only concentrate on today, tomorrow I'll concentrate about tomorrow. Being sober for one day at a time is fairly easy, being sober for the rest of your life can be overwhelming, particularly when you're shaking off your addiciton at the beginning.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I have been cocaine-free for 9 years now and haven't smoked tobacco since January this year. Quitting coke was infinitely easier than quitting tobacco and I'll admit that I'm still using my e-cigarette now. So while I've quit tobacco for good, I am still addicted to nicotine.
  5. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

I wish... I've been clean since January 27th, so I haven't reached that one year goal yet. It seems like such an achievement, but I've really only been doing okay for less than a year. It's kinda shocking to think about it in that regard :O
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I stopped drinking for over 20 years. Now I enjoy the occasional glass of wine when I go out for a meal. I find that I can enjoy it without wanting more. The difference is that I am in control now. I do not crave or go out and buy alcohol. I know this is not the same for everyone and many can never drink again. It is no longer a problem in my life.
  7. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

Hi! I have been sober for 5 years now. As you know , it is a struggle but has gotten easier as the years pass me by. I wonder sometimes how people get themselves caught up in that life again after years of being sober.

Sobriety is one of the most difficult things to deal with. When I began my journey, I doubted my will to remain sober but let me tell you how awesome and powerful or minds can be! If it weren't for me being so strong willed, I would have fallen. I constantly had to tell myself to push through the cravings.

One way I got over my cravings was through activity. Starting active abd having good support around me helped me curtail those cravings. I am so thankful that I don't crave as much as I used to.
    Steve Dawson and deanokat like this.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I quit drinking on September 10, 2008. I recently celebrated seven years of sobriety. :)
    Steve Dawson and kassie1234 like this.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Around 6 years for me and couldn't be happier where life is right now. I have a wonderful family and I'm happy as a clam!
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have not been able to fully let go of alcohol yet because I was never really an alcoholic. I was sort of a pretty heavy drinker before, but nowadays, I have already managed to be just a social drinker.

Anyway, congratulations on being sober for 6 years now. Kudos to you for a job well done. All the best! :)
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Thanks lovely! I think the fact that you've managed to cut down from being quite a heavy drinker to being able to responsibly drink socially is wonderful too. You should be proud of that too, even if it wasn't at addiction levels!
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

6 years free from addiction is a huge achievement and and when people hear that, it's an inspiration for them, and it makes them realise that if you can do it, then there's no reason that they can't either.

A lot of recovering addicts relapse as they wonder if they're strong enough to cope, hearing that you are and have beaten your addiction gives them the strength to realise they have that fight in them also.
  13. Steve Dawson

I've been sober over 5 years now and have made leaps and bounds in my own will-power with regards to my former addiction. I never forget to take one day at a time and still suffer from sudden cravings around holiday times and family gatherings. Alcohol addiction can be a subtle addiction in that the addict can easily convince him or herself that there is no problem with it.
  14. Steve Dawson

This is golden wisdom. A good support network, whether it be family, friends or organised groups, combined with beginning new, non-alcohol related activities is a great way to keep your mind off of the demon drink. The craving does diminish over time, but never completely goes away. Its good to have something else to turn to when you do suddenly experience unexpected cravings, although over time I have got much better at predicting them in advance and making preparations to avoid them. They're generally triggered by gatherings where alcohol is in abundance, or where I am likely to be surrounded by others drinking.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have not had to deal with any addiction, but love to come and read of the progress many have made and continue to make. Let's just say I am addicted to the success stories and I want to stay addicted. By reading of your success stories, I have something positive and hopeful to share with people who are struggling.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Was heavy into cheap beer, cigarettes and later cocaine for about 20 years.
    By the Grace of God I have been clean and sober for 16 years now.
    Love every minute of it!
  17. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Just want to congratulate you on your success thus far. It seems more than likely that you are now out of the woods. Having been sober for such a long time, it suggests that your determination is exemplary. Keep up the good work.
  18. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

I've never been addicted to alcohol, but I feel your pain. So is it that you can't eat rum cake and rum and Raisin ice cream?
  19. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Wow! congratulations. That's a big achievement. I've been free of cocaine for 2 years now and I've never been better. Like I always say, there is nothing to enjoy in any type of addiction. Sobriety is freedom.
  20. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

This is incredible! I see lots of achievements here. It makes me feel like I haven't achieved anything. At the same time, I feel motivated. If you can all achieve this, then I can too.
    I have only been sober for 6 months.