An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anyone has tried quitting with hypnosis?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by lalabee21, Aug 29, 2015.

1. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone here has tried quitting with hypnosis. I’ve read that it had helped a lot of people but I’m still kind of skeptical. If someone has tried this and could share their experience I would appreciate it.

I would really love this to work for me, because I have tried everything and nothing has worked. I want to try this last thing before Champix because I’ve heard the side effects of these pills are too much to handle. Waiting for your answers thank you!
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

From what I've read hypnosis is one of the best methods for getting rid of an addiction, but you should do your own research and base your judgements off of that. I'm not that experienced in this, and I never thought about trying to solve my issues via hypnosis but it can be a really effective alternative.
  3. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I've heard really good things about hypnosis and it was certainly one of the recommendations for treatment when I finished my psychology degree about ten years ago. I'm not able to be hypnotized myself so I'm unable to do use that method unfortunately. I'd recommend giving it a shot though! If you can't be hypnotized they usually give you your money back, so no harm done.
  4. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I read somewhere that the response to a hypnosis is different from person to person. There are other people who would be easy to hypnotize and there are people wherein it does not seem to work.

Hypnosis was actually recommended to me but I never did try it as a way to quit. My friend told me that you can ask to be hypnotized so that everytime you smell cigarette smoke, you would feel nauseous. It is torture but I think it would work.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I had a friend and co-worker who quit smoking through hypnosis. She was a heavy smoker and when she told us she was going to get hypnotized we honestly had our doubts about it working for her. I have to admit she surprised us all. She never had a cigarette after that and it has been over 10 years now. If it can work for her then I believe it can work for somebody else. She was a chain smoker who really enjoyed smoking. I could never see her quitting but she did!
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I personally have not done this, but my ex husband once tried quitting with hypnosis tapes. I think it worked to a certain extent. He tried to quit for years before he was finally successful. As I recall, he used smokeless tobacco as a substitute before he was finally able to quit. I think people need to do whatever works in their particular situation.
  7. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Hey, your answer gave me hope. I'm so addicted to nicotine that I've been in several programs and have tried all these methods in where they promise to give back your money if it doesn't work for you, and saddly they always give me my money back. I really want to quit, but I know I can't do it by myself. I was thinking in trying Champix, but the side effects of these pills are awful so I need to try this before. Do you happen to know what hypnosis program your friend used? I'm really interested in getting into this soon and see if this helps me. Thanks for the info!
  8. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

Personally, I do not believe in hypnosis. However, if it works for someone, then more power to them. Call me old-fashioned, but if I know someone struggling with an addiction, I will suggest that they seek out more traditional methods.
  9. singingintherain

@Rory Just thought I would share this article with you from the American Psychological Association. It might help build your knowledge of what hypnosis is, and how is can benefit people. I can understand being skeptical about it as it is often shown on television etc. as more of a magic trick. Legitimate hypnosis can really help people if undertaken safely. Different methods work for different people but it is a method that may help someone.
  10. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing! I see that hypnosis, like a variety of other legitimate things, has sort of been twisted up by the media to look like something that it's not. Very interesting.
  11. singingintherain

@Rory I felt the same until I did my degree in Psychology! I thought it was just a trick and couldn't understand why people would waste their time on it. After doing a bit of research into it I was really surprised to see that it is actually real.

Just a word of warning also, it can be a potentially a little dangerous to hypnotize yourself without training (as hypnotized people are easily influenced) so it is best to leave it to the professionals.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Can hypnosis help someone beat an addiction?

When someone is under the hypnotist's "spell" [or trance if you please] they'll do anything he commands but what happens when they snap out? Would they still follow the hypnotists commands? I think I'd give it a 50% score. It can work, [I've heard that it does] but I believe unless someone gets hypnotherapy for a relatively long time, s/he might not get the results they want.
  13. juno

juno Community Champion

Researchers can't agree on whether hypnosis actually works to help quit smoking. It think it may be useful to use hypnosis recordings to help you relax at night or fall asleep to beat the cravings, but it probably is not very useful in directly driving nonsmoking thoughts into you.
  14. singingintherain

I think this is a really good point. Some people may be expecting it to be a simple solution. As with anything worth doing though, it still takes hard work! Hypnosis isn't a magical solution as it will still require the individual to actively not smoke. If it was so simple to quit we'd all have rushed for this strategy I'm sure!
    Rainman likes this.
  15. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

I have smoked cigarettes for 9 years. My father was a heavy smoker, but he went through hypnosis and has never picked up another cigarette! I notice that when I light up to smoke, he often goes to get a drink of water. I have no idea if this is connected or not.

I know he had a strong desire to quit before he tried hypnosis. I also know that on occasion, he will chew nicotine gum. He has been smoke-free for 15 years. I have seriously considered hypnosis after seeing the results on my father, but I haven't gotten the courage up to do it yet!
  16. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Wow, some of the stories posted in this thread is amazing ! Does it have any side effects?
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I would try quitting with hypnosis if I had any kind of addiction. Sadly, when I was addicted, I was skeptical about this and went cold turkey all by myself. It would have been easier, but at least I learned something from my own rehabilitation experience, and don't regret anything.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

Listen, even Freud tried to quit smoking using hypnosis and all kinds of psychological techniques with no avail. He finally died of throat cancer. So I don't think that type of stuff really works. But I've never tried it, so I can't really say it doesn't work. Give it a try and let us know how it went.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Hypnosis as helped many people quit smoking, that's true, but a lot of that is because people believe it's helped them to stop. If you go into hypnosis thinking it's a waste of time and its just a last resort, then it's probably not going to help you. You have to want something to help you, not just rely on it.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I would suggest trying out some techniques from NLP first. NLP is Neuro Linguistic Programming and anyone can learn it. There are some good techniques that can help you quit smoking by uninstalling the meta program which causes you to want to smoke, for example. Anchors are also used which are basically associations and another two techniques are the swish pattern and the compulsion blowout.