An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anyone not drinking because of medication conflict?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Skyler, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Skyler

Skyler Member

I am wondering if anyone here is trying to stop drinking because it’s a conflict with prescribed medications? I’m on something called Methotrexate for my RA and drinking is not a good thing when on this drug. My experience with people with similar issues is that they tell me “no problem” I don’t drink at all anymore. Mind you these are people that were occasional, social drinkers not daily imbibers such as myself.

I will say that I have drastically reduced my alcohol intake and I have my lab work done monthly to monitor my liver etc. because of the medications so, if an issue comes up it will be noted immediately. To date, my numbers are good and actually improving so that tells me that my cutting down has been effective. I still need to cut down way more than I’m doing. Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat with me due to daily meds. Have you been able to stop drinking?
  2. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

I used to drink on weekends or at special occasions, but I don't anymore because of my medications. My doctor told me I couldn't be drinking while taking them so I just don't drink at all anymore,beings as I have to take the medications twice daily.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I didn't quit drinking and decided to be just a social drinker due to meds. I have just tried to practice self-discipline and I don't let cravings/temptations get the best of me. Well, if those meds are working pretty great on your end, then I guess you have just got to stick to them. But yeah, also put some effort in controlling yourself when there's alcohol involved so you won't be too dependent on meds. Good luck! :)
    greybird29 likes this.
  4. Skyler

Skyler Member

Thanks @dyanmarie25 . That is exactly where I am at right now. I'm using self discipline and new strategies to drink way less. Still have some work to do on the cravings. I think for me, a lot of this is breaking old habits and finding new habits to replace them. That is actually working better than I thought it would. I guess we are all such creatures of habit in a lot of ways.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My husband had to stop drinking hard alcohol, not due to a specific medication, but because of bad acid reflux. His throat was severely swollen from the acidity of the alcohol and food that he ate, he had to cut alcohol out. He does not miss it because he was scared about his throat issues. He now drinks an occasional glass of wine.
  6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

My drinking actually got worse when I started on anti-depressants. Ironically the very reason I reached out to my doctor in the first place was because my drinking had escalated a lot in a short period of time, more so than I had ever drank in my life prior. I literally needed to get drunk to get to sleep at night and was hoping he could put me on some sleeping pills so I could use those instead of booze to get some sleep. Perhaps he was worried I might mix the two, and kick the bucket, who knows. So he instead put me on Zoloft, which you're not supposed to drink on.

The problem was, the Zoloft on it's own wasn't really helping me, it was just making me feel bland and emotionless throughout the day, and I would still have trouble sleeping, so I continued to drink. For me, the big issue with drinking on Zoloft is it made me act out of control. I would be "blah" throughout the day, but the mixture of the two in the evenings would make me very euphoric feeling, like a "second wind", and I would drink even more heavily because I was less aware of how drunk I really was.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It is really good to know that you are determined and willing to change your ways and become a much better version of yourself. Way to go! I would be rooting for your success in recovery. All the best and keep us posted! :)
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Skyler likes this.
  8. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I'm not drinking for many reasons, but medication I take is one reason. I'm on multiple medications that you are not supposed to drink while taking. Even one drink leaves me quite sick and wanting to vomit. So, I've been very successful at not drinking.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I never really drank excessively but I had to stop completely when I was taking anti-depressant medication. It made one beer feel like I'd drunk three and the hangover the next morning was awful. These days, I'm off the meds and just have a couple of cold ones every two or three weeks.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I was addicted I briefly took anxiety medication since it was starting to be overwhelming. I couldn't drink alcohol anymore and I had to choose between the two, so I decided to alternate between drinking and taking medication. That didn't go too well, obviously.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have stopped binge drinking :) Just on time because my meds might also cause conflicts. I still drink a tiny bit from time to time, only special occasions... mostly one a year or twice, some years I go without tasting a single drop of booze. Everything is possible. Sadly I am now dealing with other addiction: sugar addiction. So I might have replaced an addiction with another one. But it is possible to drop drinking :) You need to really want it and also find something that can keep you busy during the first months...
  12. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

That is so true, you do have to keep yourself busy so as to not think about it. As for the sugar addition, believe it or not I have been having the same problem since I have tried to cut down on smoking. It's crazy, but I am always craving sweets now that I don't smoke as much.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Be careful, that is the route I took when I quit using pills... I was dumb enough to listen to a doctor who prescribed me Propranol and thanks to that I gained a lot weight. The sugar addiction doesn't help, this is just a word of warning, something from the gal who could eat a whole (small carrot cake) cake and not gain a gram... But if you are not using any kind of beta blocker you should be fine :)
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It’s not me actually but my cousin. She can’t drink alcohol because she’s taking medication for her stomach problems. And aside from alcohol, she also can’t drink coffee and soda. Her doctor ordered her not to.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The only time I really had to stop drinking due to being on prescribed medication was when I was on antidepressants. My doctor didn't say anything about drinking on them but said that they would counteract the effects of most recreational drugs. I ended up having a drink one night whilst I was about half-way through a course of them. I literally only had two or three drinks and it felt like I'd had about ten. The next day my nerves were shot to bits and I couldn't stop shaking. It's not a good idea to drink while taking some medications, it can leave you feeling a lot worse!
  16. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

I'm on Zoloft for my depression and I need to stop drinking. It amplifies alcohol, making one drink equivalent to like three drinks. So getting drunk can be EXTREMELY easy. When I first went on Zoloft, I struggled with this and blacked out a lot. It also made hangovers extra bad. Along with that, alcohol is a depressant, which obviously doesn't go well with an antidepressant (and depression in general)
  17. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

It's one of the reasons why I don't drink. I 'm a generally paranoid person so I just don't want it to screw with my health and make it worse than it already is.