An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anyone only uses alcohol in food preparation?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rowe992, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I don't really consume alcohol on its own but I love to add certain types of alcohol to various dishes and drinks. I just see it as another ingredient for food preparation as it adds flavor to certain dishes. Anyone else mainly uses alcohol in this way?
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have played around with some wines in my cooking. Nothing major, but I have been thinking about doing a lot more. Then there is local fruit cake which I have not made myself but is full of alcohol and quite yummy.

A question was asked as to whether parents should encourage kids to eat cake that has alcohol in it. It was generally accepted that the occasional piece of cake with alcohol could never be blamed for children developing a love for alcohol at an early again.
  3. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

When I add alcohol to my food, I like to burn it up until no actual alcohol is left. I feel like having the taste is ok but to still have the actual alcohol in there when serving it is a faux-pas. It's like I failed at making the dish. If I wanted to serve alcohol, I should have just gave them a glass of it instead of soaking their dish in it.
  4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

This one is a slippery slope for alcoholics. You can cook the alcohol out of wine or beer when stewing or braising but sometimes the added alcohol is not cooked out in desserts so you have to be careful. The taste can be a trigger alone.

Also, there's the having it around the house for cooking which is a danger unto itself. A moment of weakness can kick a man when he's down.
  5. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Fortified wines can add some deliciously bold flavors to many types of dishes.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There are some dishes which really benefit from the addition of some red wine but I tend to buy a bottle specifically for the meal and drink whatever is left over. I don't do this often though, I can't always afford to. In recovery though, it's wise to ban all alcohol from the house, regardless of it's purpose.
  7. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think if you have had an addiction to alcohol then it is best to keep away from it altogether. The smell or taste can trigger our senses to want what felt good and to avoid that temptation, just avoid having it anywhere near you.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not drink alcoholic beverages although I have tasted some before.
    I have tried preparing a food with it and I could say that I an enjoy some of those foods with some alcohol like cakes.
  9. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I don't think that children who eat cake with rum or other alcoholic beverages become addicted to alcohol base on those experiences. Children tend to want to drink because they see adults doing it. I don't think children can differentiate alcohol when consumed in food.
  10. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I think as long as you're doing it in moderation (a few times a month or something) then it's not an issue. If you're going out of your way to find recipes that use alcohol though, especially if they are desserts (tend to have more alcohol), then you might want to question if you're getting psychologically addicted to it.

If you think you might be tempted to consume the alcohol while you cook and you don't want to, you can get versions of a lot of wines that have salt and stuff added so they won't taste good except in food.
  11. mikka254

mikka254 Member

Wine is used when cooking but only to add a certain flavor and texture to a particular recipe.
  12. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I use alcohol specifically some good rum when I'm trying to bake some cake. I also add it to my spaghetti. I still drink but just occasionally.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I use it in roasts sometimes and also in cakes just a little to add some flavor which makes it tasty and more appealing to eat which is nice to have a a change when eating it. I have also, used it in stir fry usually rum which can add some taste and some spice to the meal which is good. I don't get addicted to eating food which has some rum in it, and make sure it is done in moderation and not over done with a lot of rum in it.
  14. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I remember not liking liquor chocolate as a kid, but that's pretty much it. Tiramisu tasted great, but did not make me want to drink, either!

I think alcohol is nice in food. We will always use it over using water... and since my bf stopped drinking, we did not do the "flush everything down" thing they seem to do in movie, so we still have stuff like port and different alcohols to use during cooking and baking, much appreciated overall!
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

No. There was only one reason why alcohol was in our household. It was for consumption. I would like to add that our neighbors use to invite up over for a barbecue and they use to pour the beer directly onto the steaks while they were cooking for flavor. I don't know if that made any difference. Oh well.