An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anyone smoke hookah?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Momma9, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

We had a hookah bar here in our small town for a while. Sadly, they moved to a more populated area. They had amazing Mediterranean food! Smoking hookah on their patio was fun, but I wonder how it compares to cigarette smoking? I have read conflicting information. I suppose it will depend on how often you smoke and what hookah tobacco you use. My adult son got me a hookah and some herbal tobacco for Christmas, but I do not want to get addicted to it so haven't used it yet!
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like smoking any kind of tobacco is a bad idea. I just don't think it's healthy, regardless of whether or not you can become addicted to it. But that's just my $0.02.
  3. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Few years ago smoking hookah was the coolest thing in my city. Everybody thought it wasn't like smoking cigarettes and everyone would give it a try, it tastes good and its a whole different experience than smoking cigarettes but actually it's worse. The coil it uses can really harm your lungs worse than cigarettes, I couldn't believe it at first but it's out there in the internet, you just gotta look it up. Also hookah allows you to smoke all day long without getting a sore throat or taking breaks, leading most people to smoke literally all day long.

Using the hookah and trying not to get addicted would be the same as smoking cigarettes and not getting addicted, its gonna depend on your will and most likely you will end up losing that battle. Tobacco is bad period.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I don't have any experience with this, but I have seen hookah bars in the area. I guess it would be fun and relaxing, but I just don't see the need for it in my own life. These are the sorts of things that could lead to addiction. I think as others have said tobacco in any form is not good. These are the things that you need to know.
  5. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

lol that will looks weird but I don't even know what is hookah, maybe it's something similar to shisha?
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't smoke at all. I don't see how you can take a liking to something that you inhale. Sure the sweet smells might mask what it's really doing, but it's still a foreign substance entering your lungs. Regardless of what anyone says, smoking in general is bad for your health.
  7. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have tried smoking hookah. But never smoked hookah more than three times in my life. Once I owned a restaurant where hookah was available. I tried hookah in my restaurant.
  8. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I've always wondered the same thing. I've been to hookah bars and I didn't feel the same gross feeling that I had when smoking cigarettes. I'm guessing it's better than cigs, but probably taking any type of smoke into your lungs isn't the best thing in the world.
  9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

An ex-girlfriend was a big hookah smoker and so was her brother. And yeah, they were from a Mediterranean background as hookah smoking is quite popular in many countries in that region. I did try it once but it was just a nasty experience for me, and never bothered to try it out again.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

If I'm not mistaken there is nicotine free hookah, that could be the reason that it has a different effect on you then cigarettes do.
  11. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I used to smoke hookah when I was a cigarette smoker. In comparison to cigarettes the taste was completely different of course, as there are many different flavors. It was just a social thing for myself and my husband to do. We sat around smoking it and talking with friends.

I do not do it any longer and do not intend to as I want to be completely nicotine and tobacco free. I feel that it can be more harmful to inhale than cigarette smoke because of the thicker smoke maybe. Of course I'm no expert. Both of them are harmful but maybe one is worse? Not entirely sure about that though.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have heard hookah is as bad as smoking, or even worse. A friend of mine likes to smoke it from time to time, he does only with his friends when he is outside having fun. I tried it once and to be honest I didn't like it one bit, I did feel that thing was too taxing on your lungs... plus you can't be sure what you are actually smoking?
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I never smoked tobacco out of a hookah before. From what I've seen on the internet there's a lot of things in that tobacco
    to add flavor. Some people say it is worst for you than cigarettes. I would say don't do it all the time. They do have hookah sticks for vaping that may be less harmful.
  14. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

I was an avid Hookah/Shisha/Oka smoker for almost a decade. Cigarette often like to critisise Hookah smokers and say it is more harmful etc. The fact is that no credible research has been done on the subject. There are many variations on the classic molasses flavoured tobacco and one of these are sugarcane. Sugarcane has no nicotine, tar or chemicals, just flavouring. It is a much healthier option than smoking pure tobacco.

There are also various coals available as the coal used to smoke a Hookah has also come under scrutiny. A healthier option to the regular carbon coal is a coconut coal which has less harmful CO2. A new trend has also emerged where the coal is not used at all but rather a electronic heating pad. Using this along with sugarcane is seen as the most healthy way to smoke Hookah.

If you are an experienced Hookah smoker you will also know that you do not suck Hookah smoke into yours lungs, puffing is the best way to consume a Hookah as it allows for the most flavour to be trapped in your sinus cavity.

All this being said Hookah was one of the factors that lead me to smoking weed. As with anything you can smoke it can become addictive and you should be careful when consuming it. It in itself is not a drug but it could lead to the use of drugs.
    Momma9 likes this.
  15. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

I smoked plenty of weed in my younger days. I have children and it is illegal in my area, so I wouldn't do it now. I do have coconut coal and herbal, organic hookah tobacco. I do not think it would cause me to do drugs :)
  16. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

The herbal tobacco has helped me cut down on the smoking. The absence of nicotine really helps a whole lot. Like I said my biggest issue is that it might be trigger, but things have gone well so far