An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Anything too much is destructive, not just bad!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 003, Feb 2, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

There's this tendency of me to overly indulge myself in everything that I'm doing and intaking both in my head and in my mouth. The problem is they make me self-destructive. At first they are good, but later on they become damageable to me to the point that I neglect my responsibilities just to meet my obsession with those that I do. The problem with me is that I'm at my rational mind, and not under the influence of any substances or in an altered state. So it's not in my knowledge of how I'm going to resolve this dilemma.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  2. stariie

stariie Community Champion

So, exactly what are you talking about here? Are you talking about a food addiction? Because if you are addicted to food, that can be a very big problem. Food addiction can take you over, maybe not in the same way that heroin, or coke can, but addiction to food can definitely cause major problems in a person's life.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There are times when too much of something can be bad for us, but you can also look at this situation in a different way. As Anais Nin once said, “something is always born of excess: great art was born of great terror, great loneliness, great inhibitions, instabilities, and it always balances them.” In certain occasions, bad things are merely catalysts for good things to happen.
  4. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

Perhaps the dilemma is just an illusion? Have you settled to a single career in your life yet? Or are you like me- dabble and learn a little bit of everything, but when you become interested you become obsessed and overwhelmed, to the point you have trouble sleeping, constantly thinking of how to apply and use what you just learned. Sounds to me that you may be what other's consider a "work-aholic," and you crave knowledge which is not a very bad thing. What is bad, is allowing these to control you to the point it hurts your health.

@xTinx described my initial thoughts well. You are working on something much greater, all these things are just building up to it. Just breathe, and if you are not sleeping well-please find a way to. Physical exercise is a great way to help relieve stress and make you sleepy--along with a balanced nutritional diet. I have even found that listening to soft nature music, or recorded rain tracks can help here. If I am wrong in my thinking I apologize. Sincerely just trying to help.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I like one of the posters am left wondering what you are talking about as well. It seems that you have a food addiction and can't stop eating! If that's the case then you definitely need to distract yourself from anything that resembles food and also try seek professional help.

I also agree that it could just be an illusion, which is all the more reason to go and seek some sort of counselling.
  6. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I know that a rational person can be blinded when they are doing something that is really enjoyable that continuing it would be self destruction. I guess because the enjoyment really prevents your mind from thinking properly during that short period of time. During that short period of time, it doesn't matter if it was addictive substance, food, video games, sex, etc., our natural desire takes over and our rational thinking runs away. The only thing I could do is to plan those things beforehand and do it only according to the plan. However, try to have break in between s0 that you won't indulge yourself in it.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Everything that is abused too much can definitely cause into destructions, whether it's self-destruction or more than that. Everything should be in moderation as to avoid future complications. Could you please explain more about what is that thing you are obsessed with? So we could give you a more concrete advice regarding your case.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Can you specify what addiction you are referring to? If you can make your addiction more clear, then I am completely confident that someone on this forum could help you out in multiple ways. Giving a vague example of an addiction is not exactly helpful.
  9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I agree, anything in excess is not good. That's why in all aspects of life, it's very important to always maintain a balance. For example, it's also destructive if you are also extremely intelligent because it tends to show an imbalance on other areas. It does not matter if you are not the best or the top in everything, as long as you are able to create a harmonious balance between the different aspects of your life.
  10. luigi

luigi Member

i don't really understand what youz mean.. maybe its all in your head.. can you relax when u want ? if yes.. try not to be so much thinking
  11. luigi

luigi Member

and you know if you keep putting everything in your mouth... might lead to other things
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

We are missing some important details here. You didn't say what you are addicted to, so we can't specifically help you. But I think that it's really up to you to discipline yourself and to be more focused on changing your bad habits. Because even if you talk and listen to the advice of 100 people, if you can't bring yourself to change and you lack the discipline needed to do that, then nothing will happen.
  13. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

I know that I have an obsessive nature. I can get obsessed about almost *anything*. It can be volunteering for 4H, or doing medieval reenactment (sewing costumes in particular), or reading. Unfortunately, it has not (yet) applied to housework. I constantly have to "check in" with my husband or another trusted person to get a reality check to see if I'm being obsessive, or just enjoying something.
  14. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Focus seems to be something you're lacking. That might be against what you're saying in a way but it seems like your focus is just on focus itself. Nothing specific. So it becomes a problem as opposed to an asset. I would suggest taking some time volunteering to a cause. I know people just say this & others say 'yeah, I should' but the truth is it helps in a lot of ways. I wish it weren't so easily ignored.
  15. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

It's all about boundaries. Just set a limit to the thing you think you're developing an obsession for and try not to exceed it. I'll give you an example - the moment I realize I'm slacking off on my diets or exercises, I stop eating junk food, I go out for a run, then go back home and do something productive instead. There's always something stuff else you could do to get over your cravings.
  16. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I try to live by moderation. I think as long as it's done in moderation I'm okay. It has worked for me so far, but I have known people who overindulge in everything they do. I have learned that for some people it's not about moderation, but about completely staying away from their vices. If there isn't a switch in your head to tell you to stop or slow down, I suggest you don't even start.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The best thing to do would be to approach every activity that you undertake with a clear,sober and rational mind. Given, a majority of us have our weaknesses but we should be strong enough to avoid indulging in anything detrimental to our body and mind. It all boils down to self control and will power.
  18. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

This is true in most things. I am very fond of the saying 'everything in moderation'. Do you know what it takes to make a non-poisonous substance poisonous? One word: Quantity. Arsenic is a poison, but taken in tiny, tiny doses, it won't kill you and you'll develop an immunity to it, even if you are damaging your organs inside. Water, if taken in outrageous amounts can lead to water intoxication. It literally poisons your body.
  19. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

It can be a huge issue self-control. My husband has a very addictive personality and he's taking pain meds for his a whiplash injury. It scares me that it might end up in something else. What addiction do you have?
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

Anything that consumes your time hence you get on benefit, its true that thing is destructive. Anything that is harmful to your body is dangerous since it affects your life. Nobody wants to loss their job because of drugs. A good life is when we can manage our projects to make profits. Instead drinking you can even buy furniture or save the extra money a tool that you have needed most. It is possible that you can also try out new products and services.