An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Appreciate the Little Things

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Apr 3, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Taking time to appreciate the little things that are great in your life will help you to focus on why you want to change your life for the better. Simple things, like a smile or hug from a loved one, a sunny day, a favorite song playing, or any appreciation of the small things that make you happy in your daily life can really add up. Also, taking time to appreciate the little great things in your life will keep your mind off of the negative things that drove you to your addiction.

What are the little things in your daily life that make you happy?
    Donnchadh and kassie1234 like this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I keep a gratitude journal for this very reason - I think remembering the wonderful little things in life is so important!

Some little things I love are a great cup of coffee, a good book, having time to relax with a bubble bath, the blossoms everywhere on these lovely spring days, getting mail that isn't a bill (care packages from friends are the best!) and spending time with my family, even if it's as simple as going for a walk all together.
    Hopeful32 likes this.
  3. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Life is beautiful that is why we must live our life to the fullest and cherish it everyday with a smile in your face. Every morning as I wake up I always pray to God for giving me a new day and to face whatever challenges that I might encounter for the day. I always like to live a simple life all my life.. Like having a simple and comfortable home, simple and healthy foods, a loving family, relatives and real friends are the things that can make me happy in my life. The money and material wealth that we had are just temporary and it can't give you real happiness all the time. And lastly having that peace of mind I will always find the contentment of having a happy life.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I always find joy in spending time with family and friends, no matter how simple the endeavor is. I particularly treasure those times I go to church with my parents or eat out at inconspicuous venues with a small group of friends. I also love those occasions where I'm all by myself, just sitting somewhere away from the public, reminiscing about life or mulling over the possibilities of a great future. I love reading books in my room until the break of dawn or playing with our pet cats and dogs. These are simple things that make me feel like I could live forever.
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

There is a pleasure in doing little thing. For example,
    reading a story book to a child
    traveling to the country side.
    Watching sunrise/sunset etc.

You can do aforementioned things to boost your mood.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have always been one to treasure the little things in life. Nothing makes my day more then a smile from a stranger. You never know when a simple smile will change somebody days. I like puppy and kitty snuggles. I like listening to the birds singing, sitting on a beach enjoying the sun, the sounds of children playing. There are just so many wonderful things that go on around us everybody that people just don't take the time to enjoy.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I keep a gratitude journal, too, and it's a great way to be reminded of all the good you have in your life. I'm happy when I wake up every morning, because...I woke up. Sunshine, birds chirping, cats sleeping, my kids laughing, my wife knitting. So much to be thankful for. :)
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

The little things in my life that make me happy:
    • My son. He's literally little and he literally makes me happy, all day, every day. He's my greatest inspiration and motivation in my life. He's the greatest ball of energy when everyone of us is tired or frustrated. He's the only reason why I continue on in achieving my goals in life.
    • Seeing the sunshine everyday. It's really simple, but seeing the sun shining everyday makes me happy.
    • Food. Good food, I love home-cooked meals that warm the tummy after a stressful day.
    • Clean laundry. Something about finishing all the dirty laundry makes me happy. Smelling the newly washed clothes makes me smile as well.
    That's about it for now... I do have lots more though. I try to find something to be happy about each day even if it's very little or simple.
  9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It's very important to show gratitude for all the little things and blessings we receive in life. I firmly believe in the law of attraction, and when you show gratitude you open yourself up to continue receiving all the good things that have been coming your way.
  10. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Good one, @irishrose. "Changed attitudes can aid recovery," says one of my 12 step books. That coupled with the rhyme "attitude of gratitude" and "you can start your day over at any time" work well together. If you've gotten lost in the hustle and bustle of daily life and the expectations of yourself and others and find yourself frustrated and not at peace, a little gratitude will go a long way. One technique some friends recommend is buying a print calendar and writing a gratitude in each daily square. Then at the end of the year, you've got a DIY devotional you can refer to.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The little things in life that make me happy are my good health and the blessings that I receive. Actually, waking up each day is also one of the things that I appreciate, because it means that God has given me another day to live my life to the fullest.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  12. Sandraharris

Sandraharris Member

No one said it life would be easy. Although, we do not choose whether to be born or not, once we are given life, we should live it with dignity and leave a good trace behind. It is difficult to find a motivation. People prefer to give up, to cry out loud or silently causing more troubles in the form of depressive conditions. One should try hard in order to find a motivation in life, which would be a key to a successful living. http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/essay-motivation-key-to-your-life “Never, never, never, never give up.” – Winston Churchill
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Little things in life are probably my favorite things in life, lol. And they're always changing, so here's my little list.
    • Seeing my dogs so excited to see me waving their tail as if I were the most wonderful man in Earth.
    • Laughing with my friends at the dumbest things.
    • Getting a good night of sleep.
    • Smiling at strangers.
    Thoset things definetly make a difference on my day, and I really like that.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that appreciating little or simple things can make our lives feel better than focusing on the stresses or problems. We should be thankful on simple things in life like the foods we eat, family and home we have, friends who share their time to us and pets who love us.
  15. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

It's true that it's the little things in life that can and do bring great pleasure.like the bird's singing in the morning. The sound of the waves crashing against the shore the smells and colours of a walk in the countryside.The smile on someone's face all the little things I was blind to for decades truly stunning simple but powerful
    deanokat likes this.