New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Approving a Child's Marriage to an Addict

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by darkrebelchild, Mar 5, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

There are many parents out there who are usually caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. What happens when your child brings home a partner whom you know is an addict and is not getting any help of recovery; do you approve of the marriage based on conditions or turn a blind eye?

Your suggestions are very critical because this could happen to anyone.
  2. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

When my adult children make any really bad life choice I let them know how I feel, as kindly as I can, and be as supportive as I can. The hard part is watching them suffer and not enable or rescue! No matter what, my children know I love them, even if I feel they are making wrong choices in their life.
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Grown ups don't need a parent's approval before they marry someone they love. In fact trying to get between the addict and your child would probably make them want to stay with them even more. I think instead of trying to stop your child from marrying an addict they love, you should use your influence to get the addict to change. Or at least try to get them to seek treatment.
    KaseyHopeMartin and deanokat like this.
  4. Hmm...That's a catch 22. If you try to get between them your child might resent you. If your Child (grown up or not) loves someone that has an addiction problem it is because they see something in them that no one else does. They love them for who they are, or maybe they are in love with them for the person they are when they are sober.

Every body acts different with the person they love when they are alone, than they do in front of people. So there might be something you missed.

I think the need for concern is MOSTLY if you see changes within your child, signs that they may have fallen into the same bad habits as their partner.

So the steps I would take if my brother or sister (or maybe even in the future my children) would be to first, express concern to them privately. Tell them you are worried about the addiction, and the effect it may have on them personally and on their relationship later on in life. THEN be absolutely supportive. Make friends with the partner even though you know about their addiction. Welcome them into your family.

Why? Because your family member loves them, and if they love them there's a reason for it. After you have incorporated an welcome them into the family, you now have a standing ground to later address the addiction problem with the both of them, offer your support, and try to advise them to change the problem.

Don't ever judge someone by their addiction. You don't know the path their feet have walked on, the things their eyes have seen, or the pain their bodies or hearts have felt. Every body deserves to be loved, so love them. And then help them later on with that love as your backbone.
  5. Iconoclast85

Iconoclast85 Member

It all depends on a) what drug the individual is addicted to and b) whether or not that individual is functional.

Without knowing this, it's impossible to say whether someone should approve or not. But of course an adult shouldn't require parental approval - no-one who is independently minded should seek anyone's approval in this regard.