An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are addicts genetically predisposed?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by lalabee21, Sep 5, 2015.

1. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I’m really sorry to hear this about your son, how is he doing now? What you are describing seems so familiar to me. I have a cousin my same age and he was always like “weird” when we were kids. As a teenager he was impulsive, aggressive and manipulative. It seemed as if he never had any remorse for the pain and damage he caused others. He was also very self-destructive and he started doing heroin. He was in rehab so many times, but the last place he was, they diagnosed him with Antisocial Personality Disorder. This is like a double diagnosis and the doctors said it’s very common.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think the vast majority are, but that certainly does not include everyone. Some people who do not have substance use, abuse or addiction in their lives, become addicts and why it it is not certainl Stresses of life, or inability to cope with problems are the reasons I guess.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Interesting question! But I'm not really sure about this... The last semester I read that if someone uses drugs while they're pregnant the baby is more likely to develop an addiction. I also read that some babies of people who are heavy drug users while they're pregnant born with neonatal abstinence syndrome, the babies who have this syndrome present all the symptoms of a drug user in abstinence.
  4. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I think so yes, if one is predisposed to be an addicted then it will be eventually no matter how many precaustions he will take in my opinion otherwise if you tend to be more cautios then it will harder to get addicted for me. It's more a mental matter than anything else.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I don't think so either. These things are learned. Mimicry is how people get on this stuff. The watch other people and try it out. Conditions or happenings maybe. Personalities maybe are inclined to get addicted. Some people get addicted to things easily. I don't know it's kind of like rolling the dice or russian roulette. Some do and some don't. I grew up around a lot. I don't have these issues. One would think but it's not the case.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

As seems to be the general consensus, my beliefs are also that it's a mix of both. I have no doubt that some addictive tendencies are inherited, and I've read research articles that suggest the same. But also, away from that I feel like a fairly large portion of addiction comes from traumatic experiences that people are trying to block out, or also the presence of mental illnesses. I don't have statistics on either of those but I'm sure if I researched I could find some.