An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are benzodiazepines safe?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Auril, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

For about five years I had a pretty minor pain killer (tramadol/Vicodin) addiction that started after a car accident and was fueled for most the time by chronic pain from those injuries. I overcame it, told my doctor, now have it in my medical chart I'm not allowed to be prescribed narcotic pain meds.

For some of the same time, I was taking Klonopine nightly for anxiety (as prescribed). After about a year and a half, I weaned myself off of it though. Fast forward to now. I've been dealing with extreme anxiety for 6 months and nothing is controlling my anxiety or panic attacks. I asked once for Klonopin or Ativan but was refused without explanation. Is it really for the best that I'm not being given these medicines because of a past issue with medication addiction? My anxiety is currently so bad its getting close to endangering my life as much as an addiction did.
  2. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I would suggest talking directly to a psychiatrist.

Benzos ARE addictive in nature, so they have every reason to be concerned. Working with a medical professional who can help you overcome your anxiety with and/or without medication is going to be more successful than just asking a doctor for a specific medication (which is often seen as a sign that you shouldn't be given it, too, by the way).
  3. nicolejasmine

nicolejasmine Member

I agree, talking to your psychiatrist is ultimately what you will need to do. Benzo's can be so, so addicting. I have been told that they are not meant to be a long-term solution to your anxiety in most cases. There are other routes that you can take that have a less addicting nature to them, so I would definitely talk to your psychiatrist about your concerns so you can plan out what you think would be your best option.

I used to be on Klonopin and had a very serious addiction to them. I started abusing it and could not find it in myself to stop. I was put on an anti depressant (along with counseling) which has ultimately helped me more in the end.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I've been on Klonopin for several years because my psychiatrist prescribed it for my anxiety. I've never abused it, I've only taken it as prescribed. But I'm addicted to it and have been weaning myself off of it for a couple of years. Benzos are, in my opinion, nasty drugs.

Here's a blog post I wrote about my experience. People may be interested in reading it.

Held Hostage by a RX Drug: My Klonopin Nightmare
  5. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I got to meet with a nurse practitioner and benzos are a definite no. I did get prescribed something else for anxiety. I've been taking it in the evenings and it seems to be helping. I see the NP again next week and she said we might add a tiny dose of that same medication in the daytime for me. So far so good, am getting some relief from the anxiety!
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Benzos are really not safe at all. Taken alone, they present few problems, other than addiction but mixed with alcohol or any other CNS depressant, they become lethal.

I knowit probably feels frustrating, especially when the whole world and his dog seems to be able to get Xanax but trust me, your doc did the right thing in refusing to prescribe them. It seems like your doc is a responsible guy/gal and ones like this, who don't bow down to Big Pharma, are worth hanging on to.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Five years is a minor addiction? I find it hard to believe that doctors would refuse to prescribe anything. How hard is it to get a different doctor? A medical chart is only for one place. I noticed that they are attempting to join all you doctors together with records with websites. I don't have any kind of addictions with any prescription drugs ever, but I certainly don't think it is necessary to let all your different doctors to become pals or have access to records. They will tag team you with bullshit, excuse my french. They would attempt to connect dots that don't exist for whatever purpose.
    Unless you want to be at the mercy of your team of doctors tag teaming up on you to ban the narcotics when it's made you a mess without it.
    Talk to your shrink? Lol, maybe if you want more drugs or to feel over analyzed with the establishments brainwashing. "so why do you think you are feeling so much anxiety and panic? what is really happening? What's wrong with you?" Oh, I see. Let me prescribe this." $$$$$
    Find a better doctor or dump them all. A homeopath. Sounds like they've cornered you by drugging you, caused the addiction and then revoked it. A little twisted. Elementary math if you look at it from the side.
    Anxiety is minor, addiction for 5 years is major. Do the research the drugs cause the anxiety. Detox and figure it out. Google natural cures for anxiety. Dr. Mercola is good. Dr. Mark Hyman is very intelligent and aware. They both have websites.

Watch out for the male nurse in red heels called Caitlyn Janener. Cause he certainly was high in that interview. Somebody said he was on E. He was seriously messed up in that interview. It was an advertisement for; it's ok to be on drugs and its ok to dress up like a woman if you are a man. People will be thinking maybe there will be prescriptions of E just look at him on national television.